PDA

View Full Version : Ben Swann is demonstrating the power that ONE local journalist can have

economics102
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Ron Paul is just one congressman out of 435. He, along with a few others like Dennis Kucinich, have shown how much a single, low-ranking congressperson can matter.

Ben Swann is providing a fascinating example of this in the journalism field.

We get all excited about having one or two freedom fighters like Judge Napolitano or John Stossel on national television. When we see near 1984-like coverage both of our candidate and important issues of the day like Julian Assange, NDAA, SOPA, etc, we look to SOME national media figure to break through the radio silence.

In my opinion, as someone who has long been interested in what journalism is SUPPOSED to be all about, Ben Swann is demonstrating a new phenomenon. With a little help from youtube and the internet in general, here's a local reporter, who the MSM is NOT interested in propping up, who, with just a small recurring segment on a local evening news program, is able to force real issues to the table against the overwhelming current of the rest of the media.

We've now reached the point in this whole Maine saga where the state GOP has fully reversed course. Now, I share the skepticism of most here that the "new" results will be any less shady and shenanigan-free than the original ones. But the fact that they're doing it at all means the pressure got to them. And Maddow's relentless coverage probably had a lot to do with it, but I believe Swann played a serious role, chasing down leads, in bringing us to where we are now, and possibly even in influencing Maddow's choice to cover the story.

The moral of this story seems to be that, just like one honest congressman courageously speaking the truth can spoil the plans of the 434, one honest journalist doggedly pursuing the truth can be a nightmare for those who wish to hide in darkness.

I know a lot of you might figure "any schlub on the internet can chase down the truth, is an old media journalist really able to get at truths that we can't?" The answer is yes. We still live in a society where journalists who can walk into an office with a professional cameraman and say they're a reporter with the evening TV news can get people talking who won't talk to a random blogger or even a prominent blogger. That's just how it works. It's not that someone like Charlie Webster isn't going to be guarded in speaking to someone like Ben Swann, it's just that often these people get away with not having to ever answer real, probing questions from real reporters at all.

People like Swann box in people like Webster and others by getting them on the record. Webster would much preferred to not have been asked whatever question prompted him to say (paraphrasing) "it's just a straw poll anyway, it doesn't matter." Those kinds of statements don't sink the ship by themselves but they help build the case against them that eventually leads to the kind of critical mass that now has the Maine GOP agreeing to recount the votes and allow the inclusion of Washington County.

Anyway, just wanted to comment on that. Obviously in the internet age, anybody can become an international celebrity overnight without spending a dime. But the idea that actual, old-school local journalists can now be a thorn in the side of the international MSM is a pretty fascinating thing.

If this trend continues, it points to a new avenue for optimism in our cause. It's far easier to find a local journalist who's willing to take risks, stick their neck out, and pursue the truth, than to find a national media figure willing to do the same.

Heck, maybe we need to infiltrate the lower ranks of the media just like we've been infiltrating the lowers ranks of the GOP. Can you imagine the difficulty the national media would have if there was a healthy contingent of Ben Swanns throughout the local media to push back?

Narmical
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
great post +rep

MsDoodahs
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Nice post!

economics102
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
whoops, shot myself in the foot right off the bat! I deleted it from my post :)

mosquitobite
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
In my opinion, as someone who has long been interested in what journalism is SUPPOSED to be all about, Ben Swann is demonstrating a new phenomenon. With a little help from youtube and the internet in general, here's a local reporter, who the MSM is NOT interested in propping up, who, with just a small recurring segment on a local evening news program, is able to force real issues to the table against the overwhelming current of the rest of the media.

I hope he doesn't fly regularly. That's how they "get" the Ben Swann types out of the way. :(

Tyler_Durden
02-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Great write-up. I've been plugging Ben Swann and Raycom Media ever since his Nov 2011 "fairness in dealing with Ron Paul" story. :)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?357477-Bringing-Attention-to-Ben-Swann-s-Employer-Raycom-Media

WIwarrior
02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
Mark Twain

Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values.
Ayn Rand

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

I love agitation and investigation and glory in defending unpopular truth against popular error.
James Garfield