PDA

View Full Version : What we can learn from Barack's recent Iowa speech

wfd40
11-12-2007, 10:25 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tydfsfSQiYc
(20 minutes long.. but worth the watch for a couple reasons):

1.) Every point he makes (save economic ones like minimum wage, the role of govn't in health care and overseas in dafar) is spot on and exactly in line with what dr. paul has to say(anti-corruption, anti-lobbies, anti-rich-getting-richer-by-means-of-bs-policy). Barack just approaches the problems from entirely different solution points. Dr. Paul knows whats wrong with america and he points it out often... so not to much to critique here, if only how he delivers such points.

2.) the whole thing, from start to finish is memorized and has probably been rehersed hundreds of times. Most of Doc's speeches are entirely "off the cuff" it seems - not necessarily bad, but sometimes, talking point after talking point works wonders. Just look at the closing and the reason why he is running.

3.) Change is what the american people want... obama sells one form of change, Paul sells another. Paul needs to hammer down the talking points on the "change message" front.

4.) Listen to the language.. its all very much "when I'm president" etc. Very Confident = very empowering for ones supporters.
---

I could go on, and probably will .. but basically, its time for Paul to polish up the public act. He's AMAZING in interviews... and fantastic in the debates... and was quite good this weekend in Phili.

But, that was all before november 5th - the day that changed this campaign, this movement/revolution. The money is there - and more, much more is on the way.

Dr. Paul needs a major/professional speech writer.
Dr. Paul needs to have a major/epic stump speech that he can deliver in his sleep (and thus delivery it awake with an intense amount of emotion and poise).
Dr. Paul needs to be a little bit more like barack is in this Youtube clip.

Now, I know there's a lot to disagree issue wise with barack, but I'm just trying to be constuctive here. I'm in this fight to win - we all are. Taking notes from respectable competition is perfectly cool imo :)

ronpaulyourmom
11-12-2007, 10:29 PM
I haven't watched the video but its obvious to me that Barack is a real threat. We better hope Hillary wins.

Richandler
11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Barak is very charasmatically trained. Like I've said before Ron could use a speech coach.

Visual
11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
RP and Obama would be a nice slugfest... I'd love to see that one.

Barack isn't as anti-war losing some dems but gaining neocons, Paul is for small gov't getting some conservatives but losing some dems..

would be pretty crazy...

Chomsky
11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Can you imagine Obama Vs Ron Paul debates, it would be a thing to behold.

klamath
11-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry, but you are saying that Ron paul should be like someone that is getting creamed by Hillary? RP's strength is his consistancy. Obama is not consistant. I am totally fed up with slick talking politicians. It is not what they say and how they say it is what they do. How about being at the senate to vote against declaring war against Iran?

wfd40
11-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Can you imagine Obama Vs Ron Paul debates, it would be a thing to behold.

Say what you will about barack.. but imo, he's like "bizzaro ron paul".

They both understand that the "machine" is fundamentally fubared. Both want to radically change it. etc. etc.

I'd imagine that very little 'mud slinging' or 'style-izing' would go down.. but more, an intense war of 'ideas' and/or proposed solutions.

That said... a loss to barack would still be a loss - ;)

wfd40
11-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry, but you are saying that Ron paul should be like someone that is getting creamed by Hillary? RP's strength is his consistancy. Obama is not consistant. I am totally fed up with slick talking politicians. It is not what they say and how they say it is what they do. How about being at the senate to vote against declaring war against Iran?

I agree! What I am saying is that Paul can lay claim to about 80% of what barack said in that speech and... wait for it... ACTUALLY BACK IT UP. ;)

anti-corruption: check
anti-war: big time check
says what he believes, not what polls tell him to believe: check
restore civil liberties: DOUBLE CHECK
anti-washington lobbies: CHECK
etc. etc

He just needs a major speech writer and some time to reherse.

RP4ME
11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tydfsfSQiYc
(20 minutes long.. but worth the watch for a couple reasons):

1.) Every point he makes (save economic ones like minimum wage, the role of govn't in health care and overseas in dafar) is spot on and exactly in line with what dr. paul has to say(anti-corruption, anti-lobbies, anti-rich-getting-richer-by-means-of-bs-policy). Barack just approaches the problems from entirely different solution points. Dr. Paul knows whats wrong with america and he points it out often... so not to much to critique here, if only how he delivers such points.

2.) the whole thing, from start to finish is memorized and has probably been rehersed hundreds of times. Most of Doc's speeches are entirely "off the cuff" it seems - not necessarily bad, but sometimes, talking point after talking point works wonders. Just look at the closing and the reason why he is running.

3.) Change is what the american people want... obama sells one form of change, Paul sells another. Paul needs to hammer down the talking points on the "change message" front.

4.) Listen to the language.. its all very much "when I'm president" etc. Very Confident = very empowering for ones supporters.
---

I could go on, and probably will .. but basically, its time for Paul to polish up the public act. He's AMAZING in interviews... and fantastic in the debates... and was quite good this weekend in Phili.

But, that was all before november 5th - the day that changed this campaign, this movement/revolution. The money is there - and more, much more is on the way.

Dr. Paul needs a major/professional speech writer.
Dr. Paul needs to have a major/epic stump speech that he can deliver in his sleep (and thus delivery it awake with an intense amount of emotion and poise).
Dr. Paul needs to be a little bit more like barack is in this Youtube clip.

Now, I know there's a lot to disagree issue wise with barack, but I'm just trying to be constuctive here. I'm in this fight to win - we all are. Taking notes from respectable competition is perfectly cool imo :)
But Barck doesnt have a track record of small govt and pro civil liberties or being nati war anti preemptiv ewar - he can say whatever he wants but look to his voting record and you see the man.

wfd40
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
afternoon top - thoughts from the day crowd... anyone know if a serious speech writer has been hired??

VoteRonPaul2008
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
barack obama is a big liar and fraud.. He votes for things like the Patriot act and takes money from lobbyists.. not to mention Joe Lieberman is his mentor,..

I've been saying this from the begining.. Obama the fake anti-war candidate is a big threat to Paul as are Huckabee and Giuliani.. we need to focus in on them..

apropos
11-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Obama is too much of a political amateur to be a threat. He's this election cycle's John Edwards.

Johncjackson
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Of course not. He should continue on the path of someone getting creamed by Huckabee and 4-5 other nobodies.

DJ RP
11-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Sometimes I wonder why ron paul stutters and fumbles with parts of his speeches when he has made them so many times before. Personally myself, and I imagine everyone on this forum, don't judge a candidate on his ability to make a good rehearsed speech, but rather thein integrity; their track record.

HOWEVER, I was watching the reagan speech posted on ronpaulforpresident2008.com and it was POWERFUL. Ron Paul being a little more confident and phrasing a few things a little more clearly COULDN'T HURT HIM!

RockEnds
11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Sometimes I wonder why ron paul stutters and fumbles with parts of his speeches when he has made them so many times before. Personally myself, and I imagine everyone on this forum, don't judge a candidate on his ability to make a good rehearsed speech, but rather thein integrity; their track record.

HOWEVER, I was watching the reagan speech posted on ronpaulforpresident2008.com and it was POWERFUL. Ron Paul being a little more confident and phrasing a few things a little more clearly COULDN'T HURT HIM!

I've heard RP speak very powerfully. I voted for Reagan, and even helped campaign for him a little. Yes, he gave very powerful speeches. But I've heard RP give some very powerful speeches as well. I have never sprung from my chair as spontaneously as I did in DesMoines on June 30. RP has been thrown into the spotlight of the world arena on very short notice. Give him a moment to find his wits. He's very capable.

I've also watched Bush senior speak. Oh my Gosh. That guy couldn't give a speech at all. He would utter a sentence, then pose for the press. If I hadn't been in the pressbox literally rubbing shoulders with Ed Bradley, I might have gone to sleep. I had to keep up appearances, you know? ;) I got a press-pass from my college newspaper, and I was a little overwhelmed by the folks with whom I was sharing space. Bush was a sitting president at the time. It was quite a formal affair.

Dr. Paul will adjust. I'm sure the reality of what is happening is just beginning to sink in. I admire him for being true to himself and facing it all independently.

Chase
11-13-2007, 11:33 AM
I think the only real danger from Barack would be in what he does when he has a stage to himself. I think Dr. Paul would make Barack look just as inexperienced as he really is in any real debate.

wfd40
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
frustrated top.

There's nothing Barack dislikes more about campaigning than asking people for money. Unfortunately, over the next few weeks, he's scheduled to travel all over the country on a series of fundraising trips.
You can get him back to doing what he does best. Act on David's message below and help reclaim a day of fundraising from Barack's calendar.
If we raise $850,000 on the Internet this week, Barack can eliminate a fundraising trip and head back to Iowa to build on the momentum he created this weekend.
If you haven't seen it yet, please watch his speech at the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner. It sums up a lot of the reasons we're running this campaign, and it's why I'm so passionate about this window of opportunity we have now. It was an incredible night, and that's why I'm heading back to Iowa tomorrow to build on our momentum.
Watch the video and make a donation of $25 now so Barack can share our message of change face-to-face with people of Iowa:
I'm sorry, but this is really starting to wear on me...

I just got another friggin email from Barack, Barack's wife, and his campaign manager to boot!
He's looking to bank a cool million from his Iowa "anti-corruption/anti-status-quo/85-percent-Dr-Paul's-positions" speech.

What the heck gives??

Where are the bi-weekly reminders/updates from Camp Paul?? Where is the call to action in Iowa?? And lastly, when will the great speech of this campaign/era be given?? No one other than Dr. Paul can give it - no one other than Dr. Paul has the character and honor to back it up. Barack's speech was certainly full of sound and fury, but, in many ways, signifed nothing.

So I repeat, where is the speech to end all speeches and when will it be delivered?

werdd
11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Obama is a polished politician, Ron Paul just gets on stage, speaks his mind and does the damn gig. And thats why hes better than anyone else.

progrock
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Personally i'd rather hear the "Truth" with a bit of verbal stuttering here and there, then a lying pre-rehearsed bogus jackass politician

IHaveaDream
11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Dr. Paul is not a charismatic, slick-talking candidate. Maybe he isn't as articulate as some of his opponents, but he's for real. I wouldn't want him any other way. I hope he never listens to all these suggestions about changing how he presents himself. It's who he is NOW that attracted so many of us to him in the first place.

wfd40
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Dr. Paul is not a charismatic, slick-talking candidate. Maybe he isn't as articulate as some of his opponents, but he's for real. I wouldn't want him any other way. I hope he never listens to all these suggestions about changing how he presents himself. It's who he is NOW that attracted so many of us to him in the first place.

Wait, let me get this straight...

you'd rather have dr. paul deliver speeches like the one in phili (which was solid enough, but had only a few (if any) phrases worthy of being repeated in the annals of history (re: I have a dream, ask not what your country etc.)

vs...

Dr. Paul saying the exact same things he's said for the past 30 years.. only distilled into perfect, timeless phrases, that together create a seamless narrative of the importance of today's revolution against the undermining forces of the powerful few elite.

Call me crazy, but I think your logic is ridiculous.

billjarrett
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
One thing I noticed about Obama at the last debate was he did not seem that polished. He may be good at delivering a speech that's been pre-prepared, but when we was behind the debate podium he did alot of Ummms and had many pauses from thinking that were a bit too long.

So, I think Obama may be the better speech reader, but I think Ron Paul would make him look slow and unprepared in a debate.

Malakai0
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Look at the entities that donate to his campaign, can you really believe someone who says they are anti-corruption and anti-lobbyists when companies like Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, and the banks donate millions to his (and Hillary's) campaign?

EVERY candidate (except Hillary) claims they are anti-lobbies and anti-corruption. Only one man refuses all their money and never sells his votes.

That would be Ron Paul.

wfd40
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
One thing I noticed about Obama at the last debate was he did not seem that polished. He may be good at delivering a speech that's been pre-prepared, but when we was behind the debate podium he did alot of Ummms and had many pauses from thinking that were a bit too long.

So, I think Obama may be the better speech reader, but I think Ron Paul would make him look slow and unprepared in a debate.

Look at the entities that donate to his campaign, can you really believe someone who says they are anti-corruption and anti-lobbyists when companies like Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, and the banks donate millions to his (and Hillary's) campaign?

EVERY candidate (except Hillary) claims they are anti-lobbies and anti-corruption. Only one man refuses all their money and never sells his votes.

That would be Ron Paul.

Once again, I agree with you both!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! lol

All I want is for Paul to have someone write an epic stump speech that's 10-15 minutes long, that can be played on youtube and that doesn't reek of 'off-the-cuff-shenanigans'!

Paul is better than Obama et all within the debate format, despite be given only a limited amount of time. Paul's integrity and honesty can not be challenged like every other candidate's.

Why can't Paul just take some time to memorize a speech and deliver it at a very important moment, say, the week before the 16th of december?? ;)

Adamsa
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
A little polish never hurt anyone...

Bigboyen
11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I like watching Obama; he is a great speaker and performer. And a speechwriter can be a good thing, if he understands the candidate he is writing for. But Paul is not “I have a dream”-speaker, his force is intensity in the way he talk about his message. So many candidates lose themselves when experts start picking on how they act, dress and talk. So if Paul don’t feel he have any speechwriter that understands him well enough it’s far better as he have done it so far. It’s working – and you don’t win election with good speeches.

american.swan
11-14-2007, 06:54 PM
They both understand that the "machine" is fundamentally fubared. Both want to radically change it. etc. etc.

I think we would have to look at his voting record to see if that was really the case.

LinearChaos
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I like Paul's lack of polish, it makes him appear even more sincere and passionate.

LinearChaos
11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
All I want is for Paul to have someone write an epic stump speech that's 10-15 minutes long, that can be played on youtube and that doesn't reek of 'off-the-cuff-shenanigans'!Why do you want someone else to write a speech for Paul? Can't Paul write his own speeches? He already writes a LOT and is already a prolific writer. I guess I am confused on how a pro is going to write something for a guy that has been writing his own speeches in the house since the early 80s. IMO one of Paul's major strengths is his writing.

I could see suggesting a speech coach, but he doesn't have a problem with his writing.

Adamsa
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Paul can write great speeches, his stuff in congress against the Iraq War before it happened was really good. He improvises lately though. :(

dircha
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
What we can learn is that our system of government today is dysfunctional.

The masses have always been swayed by these silver tongued snake oil salesmen. They have always thrown their wits to the wind in response to irrational emotional appeals.

But this unfortunate situation has never been more dangerous to those of us who still have our wits about us than it is today. Representative democracy does not scale. It does not scale in the presence of an overbearing federal government.

As the population grows and the power of the federal government expands, our representation as individuals is increasingly diminished. And in the past 6 years our individual representation has been evaporating at an astonishing rate.

This has had the effect that as the government increasingly monitors, regulates, and controls every aspect of our lives, our capacity as free men and women to reject this choking out of our liberties by way of our representation is all but lost.

But I would rather vote for someone who stands on his principles like a rock, and lose, come what may, than vote for a snake oil salesman like Obama.

LFOD
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
No, no no no NO!

What the heck are you guys talking about?

You want somebody to write SPEECHES for Ron Paul?? So he sounds "polished" like Barack Obama!?

You've gotta be kidding me!

Here is a man who can stand own his own two fricking feet and SPEAK - from his mind, and from his heart, spontaneously, to thousands of people in crowds, to MILLIONS of people in front of a TV camera. Do YOU have the ability to do that?

And you want to TRADE that for something... CANNED?? You want to trade honesty for marketing?

bah.

icon57
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Ron doesn't need a speech writer or someone to feed him canned lines like the other "plastic" candidates.