PDA

View Full Version : RNC spokesman says chances of brokered convention same as 'space alien attack'

RonPaulFanInGA
02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/feb/16/picket-rnc-spokesman-says-chance-brokered-conventi/

The media's quadrennial obsession with not-happening brokered conventions rages on.

low preference guy
02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Translation: There is no way Mitt Romney doesn't win in a landslide.

I believe this guy is wrong.

Rev9

Indy Vidual
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Aliens attacking?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DyFHfRkKO-w/TXyy4Vqj9uI/AAAAAAAAApc/g5PJdiEa9qo/s1600/mars%2Battacks%2B034-3.jpg

bbartlog
02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Only way they avoid it at this point is if Romney drops out, IMO. Otherwise Santorum just isn't strong enough to sweep up 1150 delegates for the first round of balloting, what with his ballot access issues and the fact that we are probably going to have most of the delegates the MSM has chalked up for him to this point.

sailingaway
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Only way they avoid it at this point is if Romney drops out, IMO. Otherwise Santorum just isn't strong enough to sweep up 1150 delegates for the first round of balloting, what with his ballot access issues and the fact that we are probably going to have most of the delegates the MSM has chalked up for him to this point.

they intend to play games at the later stages of delegate process to thwart us, I suspect.

jkob
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
the powers that be will force one of Romney or Santorum to drop out and support the other

camp_steveo
02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
the powers that be will force one of Romney or Santorum to drop out and support the other

that seems logical, but how are they gonna do it? it's gotta look good, right?

ETA: I think it's possible that a brokered convention favors Ron Paul.

02-16-2012, 01:58 PM

That's how it works.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Conventions today are about fake unity ("Obama/McCain won the nomination by unanimous consent!") and putting a four day long ad on in front of the voters. They meant something in the past, in today's world they're a waste of time. Everyone will know who the Republican presidential nominee will be by late August.

AFPVet
02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
It's a psychological technique designed to create the illusion of defeatism. We are winning the infowar and the real fight on the grassroots level... they are frightened.

pappy
02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Every time I think of Romney, I get a mental image of him with his fingers in his ears and "la-la-la-la I'm not losing" coming from his mouth in a crescendoing (is that a word?) chorus. :-)

Don't know if there will be a brokered convention, but between Santorum and the possibility of a brokered convention he has got to be going bonkers :-)

pappy

orenbus
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
If you asked him what are the chances Iowa's votes would have been so close and that the announcement of who was going to win that caucus would end up being wrong and the Iowa GOP Chairmen would be replaced by a Ron Paul supporter, I'm sure he would have said the same thing.

PaulConventionWV
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/feb/16/picket-rnc-spokesman-says-chance-brokered-conventi/

The media's quadrennial obsession with not-happening brokered conventions rages on.

Boy is he in for a surprise.

francisco
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Time to stock up on Slim Whitman music, then LOL

bluesc
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I see it happening.

If Santorum acts as a buffer between Newt and Romney in the south, it becomes more likely.

If Ron can sweep the west, it becomes even more likely.

With the new rules in California, it becomes more likely.

With Paul taking the majority of delegates from caucus states, it becomes more likely.

If Santorum can pull off a huge upset in Michigan or Ohio, it becomes more likely.

No one should be ruling out a brokered convention any time soon.

PaulConventionWV
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
The second we lose a majority of the delegates in a hypothetical two-way race is when 2 of the other 3 contenders drop out and endorse one (the not-Ron Paul one). However, if we keep garnering enough delegates to have a majority of them as Paul supporters in a hypothetical two-way race, we keep the other two in the race and ensure that a brokered convention happens. So far, we have done a great job of continuing to garner way too many delegates for them to even consider letting the other two contenders drop out. It would be too risky for the establishment to try that when it may even increase our chances of winning.

trey4sports
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
I see it happening.

If Santorum acts as a buffer between Newt and Romney in the south, it becomes more likely.

If Ron can sweep the west, it becomes even more likely.

With the new rules in California, it becomes more likely.

With Paul taking the majority of delegates from caucus states, it becomes more likely.

If Santorum can pull off a huge upset in Michigan or Ohio, it becomes more likely.

No one should be ruling out a brokered convention any time soon.

hate to be a hater but i think that scenario is way off.

Ron will not sweep the west. I'd be happy if we could muster 1 or 2 wins.

Ron will not take the majority of delegates from caucus states. Rick has done well in caucus states and will most likely continue to do so.

bluesc
02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Ron will not sweep the west. I'd be happy if we could muster 1 or 2 wins.

I won't be.

Ron will not take the majority of delegates from caucus states. Rick has done well in caucus states and will most likely continue to do so.

Paul will take the majority of delegates. Santorum wins the beauty contests, Paul wins what really counts.

He apparently already has the majority in Iowa, Minnesota, Colorado and Maine.