PDA

View Full Version : Other: Marriage

anewvoice
02-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I thought there was a "marriage" issue on the official campaign site but I cannot find it now. Does anyone have an official stance on Marriage, citing Ron's stance that it ought not be a government function?

Black Mamba
02-16-2012, 12:35 AM
His new book, Liberty Defined, has a whole chapter on his views on marriage.

Feeding the Abscess
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
His new book, Liberty Defined, has a whole chapter on his views on marriage.

He also reiterated that stance in an interview with an Iowan newspaper editorial board.

y0kkles
02-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Isn't his view that the government should get out of the marriage business all together? Or am I wrong?

Hyperion
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Isn't his view that the government should get out of the marriage business all together? Or am I wrong?

Basically. Paul believes the states should make their own laws and the Federal government should make no law concerning the matter.

PierzStyx
02-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Basically. Paul believes the states should make their own laws and the Federal government should make no law concerning the matter.

Constitutionally speaking. Though I get the feeling he thinks government, even state governments, should probably stay out of it as well.

Shane Harris
02-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Constitutionally speaking. Though I get the feeling he thinks government, even state governments, should probably stay out of it as well.

Exactly. There's "what he would do as President", and then there's "what he philosophically thinks would be ideal". The same answer applies to his position on drugs. As President he would keep the Federal government out of it but if he had his druthers the states would also take libertarian positions (which he cannot control as President).

skinny_bones4
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I believe that he wants the responsibilty to be held by the states. Problem with that is if one state allows same-sex marriage, and it is next to a state that does not recognize it. I think that problem with die out eventually, but we still have it now.