PDA

View Full Version : How is a Caucus Chairman elected?

Cinderella
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how the caucus chairman is elected?

I've been studying my Roberts rules of Order, and I've wondered if anyone has come across a dictator type of chairman? And if any steps have been taken to remove a caucus chairman from any of the caucuses thus far??

I know we can suspend the rules and nominate a new chairman, and it's needs to be won by 2/3rds of the vote. Has anyone done this?

lib3rtarian
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Sorry, but an off topic question - that's a big book, the Robert's Rules of Order. Do I need to study the whole thing or is there an abridged version? At which level do those rules apply? County, state, national?

TheTyke
02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I think all states have Republican Party rules as well, which supersede Robert's Rules where they conflict. (Yes, there are smaller guidebooks - they'll give a framework but don't seem to cover everything involved with conventions) In KY, the first thing done at every convention is the election of a "permanent chairman of the convention." So if you have the numbers and there is any doubt, you can elect someone you trust.

At the KY 2008 State Convention, the chairman was in contempt of the rules, wouldn't call votes, wouldn't let delegates speak, shut off the mics and sent sergeants at arms after the wife of an Iraq veteran who wouldn't be quiet about the rules. There was a showdown on the floor and the sergeants backed off.

But the bottom line is, we did not have enough votes to appeal the rulings of the chair. The situation called for it though. So that's why turnout is everything.

Cinderella
02-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Thank you ^^

Bump