PDA

View Full Version : Not on Drudge: How come Florida prisons do not serve kosher food?

moderate libertarian
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
This is not kosher:

Published 02:12 14.02.12

Israeli judge: U.S. fugitive cannot be deported unless Florida prisons provide kosher food
Fugitive enters Israel in 2000 using a forged passport and assumed name, after skipping bail after losing appeal of his 19-year sentence for DUI manslaughter

By Tomer Zarchin

Get Haaretz on iPhone Get Haaretz on Android An American hit-and-run driver who was finally found here last year, after fleeing Florida over a decade ago, may not be extraditable because Florida does not allow its prisoners to receive kosher food.

Jerusalem District Court Judge Ben-Tzion Greenberger on Sunday ruled that Lawrence Seth Wayne, who had been sentenced by a Florida court to 19 years in prison for the 1998 road accident, could not be extradited to a state that would violate his right to practice his religion.

Greenberger thus accepted Wayne's argument that sending him back to Florida would violate Israel's Extradition Law, which forbids extradition to a foreign country if this is liable to "harm public policy or a crucial interest of the State of Israel."

If he was not assured kosher food, extraditing Wayne would constitute "a serious violation of his most basic rights to freedom of religion and worship," Greenberger said.

He could only be extradited if Florida provided him with kosher food in prison, or allowed him to serve out his sentence in one of the 35 U.S. states that do provide its prisoners with kosher food, Greenberger said.

Florida has refused to allow Wayne to receive kosher food in prison even if he pays for it privately, and insists he must begin serving his sentence in Florida while awaiting the proceedings to transfer him to another state.

In February 1998, Wayne, a twice-convicted drunk driver, was again driving drunk when he slammed into Donald Cantwell's pickup truck in Delray Beach, mortally injuring him. Wayne fled the scene but was apprehended by police. Cantwell died two days later.

Wayne was convicted of DUI manslaughter and sentenced to 19 years, but was let out on $50,000 bond while he appealed the case. He lost the appeal and fled the country before he could be brought to prison.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israeli-judge-u-s-fugitive-cannot-be-deported-unless-florida-prisons-provide-kosher-food-1.412728

oyarde
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Strange , I assume there are Jewish people in the penal system all over the world who do not have Kosher food ? I do not recall seeing any Kosher food in the Army ?? Interesting also , most Kosher food sold in the US is not consumed by Jewish people.

Sam I am
02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I bet the prisons do serve kosher food. If they serve any vegetarian dishes, that's kosher. I'd just send the bum to prision.

moderate libertarian
02-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Strange , I assume there are Jewish people in the penal system all over the world who do not have Kosher food ? I do not recall seeing any Kosher food in the Army ?? Interesting also , most Kosher food sold in the US is not consumed by Jewish people.

Are you sure? If so, I doubt that was the primary reason but wonder if that could be part of reason Israel did not send its troops to join US military in Iraq, Afghanistan.

oyarde
02-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Are you sure? If so, I doubt that was the primary reason but wonder if that could be part of reason Israel did not send its troops to join US military in Iraq, Afghanistan. I doubt anyone could ever allow any Israelis in any middle Eastern Country , the negative reaction would not be worth it.

oyarde
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Now , I gotta go get some of those fancy dill pickles . If you could see what they serve people in my county jail , just guessing a Florida prison would be a big move up.

fisharmor
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Lesson learned: Israel thinks that eating kosher is more important than not recklessly killing people on the road.
Way to be the public face of Judaism, guys!

musicmax
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
How Kosher was the booze he was drinking when he killed someone and the multiple other times he was found driving drunk?

oyarde
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
How Kosher was the booze he was drinking when he killed someone and the multiple other times he was found driving drunk? I have never seen Kosher booze , but , would there be Kosher wine ? I plan on consuming unkosher beer with my dill pickle ;)

specsaregood
02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I have never seen Kosher booze , but , would there be Kosher wine ? I plan on consuming unkosher beer with my dill pickle ;)

http://www.shipoffools.com/gadgets/food_drink/media/messiah_bold.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N1t9Uuf7DCc/RhAi_9JXYJI/AAAAAAAAAF4/AYNtQKROK-w/s320/Genesis+Ale.jpg

oyarde
02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.shipoffools.com/gadgets/food_drink/media/messiah_bold.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N1t9Uuf7DCc/RhAi_9JXYJI/AAAAAAAAAF4/AYNtQKROK-w/s320/Genesis+Ale.jpg Alright if that is for real I got to try one , but you know I am a tight ass , so how much is a six pack ?

specsaregood
02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Alright if that is for real I got to try one , but you know I am a tight ass , so how much is a six pack ?
It is real, I'm not sure the cost but not insanely expensive.

oyarde
02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
It is real, I'm not sure the cost but not insanely expensive. Thanks , I will keep an eye peeled :) You are the man !

oyarde
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Crap , now I GOTTA GO TO THE MONEY MOVER. I only have 6 bucks laying around on the kitchen counter and I am too disciplined to dig into the vacation stash ;)

oyarde
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I hope my Keystones do not get a complex once I throw five of these Hebrew , the chosen beer, Messiah Bold in next to them :)

specsaregood
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
I hope my Keystones do not get a complex once I throw five of these Hebrew , the chosen beer, Messiah Bold in next to them :)

its not a bad beer.
where to find it:
http://shmaltzbrewing.com/HEBREW/distributors.html

Krugerrand
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
That question sure sounds like it's missing its punchline.

musicmax
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Alright if that is for real I got to try one , but you know I am a tight ass , so how much is a six pack ?

You can probably find singles at Total Wine.

Tudo
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
But they're our "friends". Yeah.

moderate libertarian
02-15-2012, 11:03 PM
I doubt anyone could ever allow any Israelis in any middle Eastern Country , the negative reaction would not be worth it.

Any more negative blowback than gaving them free bombs/bulldozers to kill/displace Palestinians and funding their occupation?

I doubt it.

Keith and stuff
02-15-2012, 11:20 PM
FL prisons are not Costco. I couldn't care less if they served kosher food or not.

oyarde
02-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Alright , I am all set , I got a warm six on the way home from work for $10.58, or about 1.58 ea , I think . I threw one in the back seat of the truck for my beer exchange buddy @ work tomorrow and put five in the fridge with my Keystones . Hopefully , my Keystones will not remember that I pay only about .53 cents each for them , they know they are loved :) . I will give it a try tomorrow night just before witching hour .

moderate libertarian
02-16-2012, 08:06 PM
FL prisons are not Costco. I couldn't care less if they served kosher food or not.

Yep.

oyarde
02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Well , the Messiah Bold is an excellent beer .