PDA

View Full Version : Gillespie: Napolitano's "end-of-show commentary...a speech for the ages."

Lucille
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I bet it is. I've been looking forward to it since I heard the awful news.

Watch the Final Freedom Watch with Judge Andrew Napolitano Tonight, feat. Nick Gillespie (http://reason.com/blog/2012/02/13/watch-the-final-freedom-watch-with-judge)

I'm greatly honored and deeply saddened to be part of the last episode of Freedom Watch with Judge Andrew Napolitano. The show airs on Fox Business at 8pm ET and reruns later in the evening as well. You will not want to miss his end-of-show commentary, which is certainly a speech for the ages.
[...]
Freedom Watch was great in its early webcast days and it remained absolutely the greatest "daily dose" of liberty ever to grace the small screen so far. On behalf of Reason, I'd like to take a moment to thank the Judge and producers such as George Szucs and Patrick McMenamin for all they did to heighten the visibility of our staffers and broaden the reach of our ideas. Far more important, I'd like to thank them for all they did to inject a truly alternative viewpoint into ongoing debates about politics, culture, and ideas. Along with the weekly Stossel show (which will continue on Fox Business), Freedom Watch was unapologetically libertarian and also one of the most wide-ranging and provocative news programs anyone could want.

The Judge will continue to grace many Fox News and Fox Business programs. And he will certainly continue to appear in the pages of Reason magazine, Reason.com, and Reason.tv, where he has already done so much to further the debate about freedom and liberty.

I actually hope he gets a show on RT (http://barelyablog.com/?p=47525).

Related:

Vox Day: It was only a matter of time (http://voxday.blogspot.com/2012/02/it-was-only-matter-of-time.html)

Given the way in which the strong leftward tilt of the mainstream media distorts one's perceptions, it's always important to keep in mind that Fox is a centrist, status quo institution. They're not good per se, but only in relation to the ABCNNBCBS cabal.

Mercer (http://barelyablog.com/?p=47746) isn't too terribly bummed out:

I tuned in yesterday, then switched off when “good friends of the show” warrior Bob Barr (hardly a libertarian) and Kirstin Powers (banal brain) hogged the screen and were fawned upon. Again, I’m sorry for the fans, although I seldom watched an entire episode because of the typical, mainstream, buddy-buddy, close to power, Beltway think-tank bias that came to pervade and dominate it.
[...]
As a general educational tool, The Judge did good. Still, I often had to switch off even mid-soliloquy, due to the endless annoying “What ifs”: “what if the government this, what if the government that”X 100. The style of the show—that includes the pompous music and the screaming—did damage to the contents. It bled into the content and damaged it. Ironically, I switched to RT on the day of the sad announcement, because I could not stomach the Powers and Barr combo.

thoughtomator
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Napolitano's temperment and style aren't right for TV, but they are perfect for politics.

GeorgiaAvenger
02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
According to his facebook page, Rand Paul will be on tonight.

matt0611
02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
According to his facebook page, Rand Paul will be on tonight.

I think Jack Hunter will be as well.

BuddyRey
02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
His closing commentary would be the perfect opportunity for him to go out in a blaze of glory, expose FOX for the den of vipers it is, and go "full libertarian." I don't think he will though, and wisely so.

CJLauderdale4
02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
I love the Judge. Freedom Watch is on my record daily dvr list.
So sad...will be missed...

Tudo
02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Fox sucks

smokemonsc
02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Did anyone catch his ending speech? How was it?

Wesker1982
02-14-2012, 12:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLHhK3zrXTM

ZanZibar
02-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Napolitano's temperment and style aren't right for TV, but they are perfect for politics.Actually it is, just not when it's boxed into 4 12-minute segments and he has to rush; it does cramp his style.

Does anyone remember Freedom Watch BEFORE it was on FBN, when it was just an Internet show? It was pretty awesome because it had extended interviews and very intelligent discussion.

emazur
02-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Actually it is, just not when it's boxed into 4 12-minute segments and he has to rush; it does cramp his style.

Does anyone remember Freedom Watch BEFORE it was on FBN, when it was just an Internet show? It was pretty awesome because it had extended interviews and very intelligent discussion.

It was a much better show back then. Not only b/c of what you said, but it also had much more variety in the guests, and didn't have worthless a-holes like Charlie Rangel on as regulars and didn't have the crappy 4 way panels where everyone is talking over each other (one of the worst things introduced by the 24 hour networks). This tells me he did not have full editorial control over what happened on Freedom Watch (if he did have full control, I would be disappointed). It also bothered me how he started having these middle of the road establishment Republicans on and always praised them as "champions of limited government and the Constitution".