PDA

View Full Version : Who says that there are only 200 voters in Washington County? (Maine)

123tim
02-13-2012, 05:07 AM
If what I read is correct, the voter count is only limited to the amount of interest and effort put into the caucus this Saturday:

What such an outcome would require is for Mr. Paul’s campaign to make a concerted effort to turn out any supporters it has in the area. There are 6,907 registered Republicans in Washington County, and another 8,247 unaffiliated registered voters, who are eligible to participate by changing their registration to Republican at the caucus site. Unregistered voters, for that matter, are also free to participate provided that they register at the caucus site.

I see the possibility for at least four distinct scenarios:

1.) There will be little interest and little voting because voters perceive the caucus to be over.
2.) There will be a normal voter turnout because those who vote feel it's their civic duty to vote.
3.) There will be a large turnout of all candidate supporters voting for Ron Paul who see a chance to take a first place win from Mitt Romney.
4.) There will be a large turnout of Ron Paul supporters who have been working all of this week to convert others to vote for Ron Paul

The quote posted above was taken from this article:
Could Ron Paul still win Maine?
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/could-ron-paul-still-win-maine/

parocks
02-13-2012, 06:03 AM
If what I read is correct, the voter count is only limited to the amount of interest and effort put into the caucus this Saturday:

1.) There will be little interest and little voting because voters perceive the caucus to be over.
2.) There will be a normal voter turnout because those who vote feel it's their civic duty to vote.
3.) There will be a large turnout of all candidate supporters voting for Ron Paul who see a chance to take a first place win from Mitt Romney.
4.) There will be a large turnout of Ron Paul supporters who have been working all of this week to convert others to vote for Ron Paul

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/could-ron-paul-still-win-maine/

Ah, a version of the Virginia scenario with number 3.

parocks
02-13-2012, 06:15 AM
4) is wrong. You don't get it. What is this "convert others to vote for Ron Paul" thing. We need to "convert people who go to Ron Paul rallies to vote for Ron Paul."

It's not about persuasion, it's about turnout.

We got 2,000 votes in a state of 1.5 million. 1 of every 1,000 people voted for Ron Paul.

In Washington County, basically, you have to sell this. Drive 1 hour. Wait around through 2 hours of speeches from all the candidates for state rep and state senate in Washington County. Then break out into your towns. vote. that's 2 hours, another hour drive, 6 hours total.

We really should just be pulling students from U of M Machias - 5 miles away.

parocks
02-13-2012, 06:20 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WE ARE SO FUCKED.

U of M Machias is on Winter Break!!!

LibertyIn08
02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WE ARE SO *****.

This is entire post is detrimental. Cursing and pushing the notion that only students support Ron.

parocks
02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
This is entire post is detrimental. Cursing and pushing the notion that only students support Ron.

No, it's the fact that 1000 people who do typically support Ron Paul, who all dine together in a place that you can reach easily, who live 5 miles from the caucus place, are gone.

People, who do like Ron Paul (see: all polls), who we can easily reach, who are likely to be unregistered, but able to be registered (with the right paperwork), could be rounded up into a cool party bus / limo, driven to the caucus and vote for Ron Paul. And they're mostly going to be gone.

Where is the other place where you can easily reach that many people at one time, that close to the caucus? There might not be one.

Hey, maybe we ID'd 500 supporters in Washington County already. Benton said it was going to be really strong for Ron Paul this year.

In 2008, we got 8 (eight) votes in Washington County.

If Ron Paul stopped by the Hancock Caucus at 10A, and then the Washington Caucus at 130P, it would be worthwhile.

LibertyIn08
02-13-2012, 07:26 AM
No, it's the fact that 1000 people who do typically support Ron Paul, who all dine together in a place that you can reach easily, who live 5 miles from the caucus place, are gone.

People, who do like Ron Paul (see: all polls), who we can easily reach, who are likely to be unregistered, but able to be registered (with the right paperwork), could be rounded up into a cool party bus / limo, driven to the caucus and vote for Ron Paul. And they're mostly going to be gone.

Where is the other place where you can easily reach that many people at one time, that close to the caucus? There might not be one.

Hey, maybe we ID'd 500 supporters in Washington County already. Benton said it was going to be really strong for Ron Paul this year.

In 2008, we got 8 (eight) votes in Washington County.

If Ron Paul stopped by the Hancock Caucus at 10A, and then the Washington Caucus at 130P, it would be worthwhile.

Unfortunately we may have to bank on Ron being in Texas again - or elsewhere on the trail. Hopefully not, though.

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Exactly, and in New Hampshire if I remember about HALF of Ron's support was either new to the process or new to the party. Not to mention that Washington County is only one of a number of caucuses which haven't yet voted.

tbone717
02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Exactly, and in New Hampshire if I remember about HALF of Ron's support was either new to the process or new to the party. Not to mention that Washington County is only one of a number of caucuses which haven't yet voted.

Half?

Only 12% of people that voted in NH never voted in the GOP primary before, and 38% of those went for Paul.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/epolls/nh

gerryb
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Ah, a version of the Virginia scenario with number 3.

The Virginia scenario is to win the delegates.. forget about the beauty contest on March 6th.. get involved at unit, district, state conventions!

Keith and stuff
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Washington County Maine Republican Caucus Results from 2008
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?577-Washington-County-Maine-Republican-Caucus-Results-from-2008

According to the sources Wikipedia links to:

2008 Washington County Caucus Results as of 2/8/2008. I cannot find the break down from the more updated results that were released on 2/29/2008.
113 total votes
McCain 51
Romney 40
Ron Paul 8
Huckabee 8
Undecided 5
Write-in 1

CTRattlesnake
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Washington County Maine Republican Caucus Results from 2008
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?577-Washington-County-Maine-Republican-Caucus-Results-from-2008

According to the sources Wikipedia links to:

McCain won the county, thats wrong

gerryb
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
TURN OUT!

We have this election in the bag.

You just have to vote.

Brian4Liberty
02-13-2012, 01:21 PM

What? Hadn't heard this anywhere. They rescheduled that Caucus so that the University would be on vacation?

ItsTime
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
There was more than just Washington County that were not counted.

1) 15+ towns are still to caucus
2) Reports are coming in of towns that Ron Paul won not being counted at all.
3) Caught red handed in several towns where the caucus numbers do not match the official count, all in favor of Romney.

They are going to rig the rest of it, so do what you can to report the vote count and turn out count.

123tim
02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
4) is wrong. You don't get it. What is this "convert others to vote for Ron Paul" thing. We need to "convert people who go to Ron Paul rallies to vote for Ron Paul."

It's not about persuasion, it's about turnout.

We got 2,000 votes in a state of 1.5 million. 1 of every 1,000 people voted for Ron Paul.

In Washington County, basically, you have to sell this. Drive 1 hour. Wait around through 2 hours of speeches from all the candidates for state rep and state senate in Washington County. Then break out into your towns. vote. that's 2 hours, another hour drive, 6 hours total.

We really should just be pulling students from U of M Machias - 5 miles away.

Well, I agree and disagree with you at the same time.

I do get it. I was converted. I assume that you were too? :)

If we have any chance of winning we have to convert voters. That's why we need a win so badly - so that regular run of the mill voters take notice and finally listen to Ron Paul's message. Converting massive numbers is the only that we can overwhelm the mainstream system. We obviously can't do it with the numbers that we have now.

However, I do absolutely agree with you about turnout. If all turned out and voted, and were counted, we would absolutely win.

Personally I think that the voters did turn out. Don't you think that it's strange that people would drive for a couple of hours to meet in large groups to hear Ron Paul speak, but they then wouldn't take the time to vote?

I think that we actually are winning. Something is happening to the vote count in my opinion.
This is why I think that it's so vitally important to get more and more people to hear Ron Paul's message.

jcarcinogen
02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Carl CAmeron a few minutes ago on Fox also said that Washington County only had 116 votes and Paul only got 6 while giving a little smirk.

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
What? Hadn't heard this anywhere. They rescheduled that Caucus so that the University would be on vacation?

Yep.

ChrisDixon
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Washington County will put us over the top. Nuff said.

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Washington County will put us over the top. Nuff said.

even with the college on winter break?

ChrisDixon
02-13-2012, 07:33 PM
even with the college on winter break?

University of Maine Machias isn't the entire population.

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
OK, I heard the community college was out, too. I decided it was lobstering time or something.... what do I know? :p

any way, huge relief because I think they are rethinking this and might take reporting.

Mckarnin
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM

You forgot the scenario where Romney buses old ladies to Washington to make sure he stays the winner.

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
You forgot the scenario where Romney buses old ladies to Washington to make sure he stays the winner.

If that is allowable, we just need bigger buses.

presence
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
This is the GRASSROOTS TIPPING POINT for RP 2012 MOMENTUM!

Could Ron Paul Still Win Maine?
February 12, 2012, 8:44 pm
By NATE SILVER

"Ron Paul’s campaign is claiming that it could still win the presidential preference poll in the Maine caucus because of a county that postponed its vote and will hold its caucus next Saturday, Feb. 18."

"A more likely scenario, perhaps, is that Mr. Paul ['s VOLUNTEER GRASSROOTS MACHINE] would work to turn out his supporters while the other campaigns would not. "

"If Mr. Paul were somehow to secure the 194-vote margin, that would create a messy scenario for the Maine G.O.P."

"A handful of Maine towns outside of Washington County have also not yet held caucuses. In those cases, however, the caucuses were scheduled for after Feb. 11 all along. Only 45 votes were cast in these towns in 2008,"

"Washington County might theoretically have some untapped potential for Mr. Paul. It is rural and relatively poor"

--------------------------------------

YOU HAVE FIVE DAYS!

NATIONAL RP GRASSROOTS TURN YOUR ATTENTION TO WASHINGTON CO MAINE!

Washington county, on the eastern most tip of the continental US, a rural county where folks were used to toughing it through bitter winters with little money, became the turning point in the defence of the Constitution, when after having been denied the LIBERTY to go out and vote because "the party" was concerned for their SAFETY in a snowstorm, voters stood up to be heard...

Tell the tale!

dirigo,

presence