PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Announcement: RonPaul2008.com Host Experiencing Power Issues

JoshLowry
11-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Justine wanted to inform you that the Ron Paul 2008 site is down right now.

Their hosting provider is experiencing power issues and their engineers are working to resolve this issue. The site should be up shortly.

We appreciate your patience.

Justine Lam
eCampaign Director
Ron Paul 2008

Ron Paul Fan
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
And by power issues they mean hackers! Who was it? I bet it was a paid Giuliani goon.

krott5333
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
oh well

JoshLowry
11-12-2007, 08:07 PM
No. Not hackers. Their host is experiencing power issues.

fcofer
11-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Why in the hell do they not have geographically isolated mirrors up at this point? GRRR. How much money in donations are we losing right now?

Violated my profanity rule, which I've kept for so long. Sorry, censorship advocates. :(

derdy
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
They need to get a UPS and a diesel powered generator like we have here at work to keep that cash cow hummin!!!

Ron Paul Fan
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Who wants to begin drafting a declaration of war against the hackers?

dmspilot00
11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Power issues? Do they not have battery backups and generators? What kind of host is this?

ItsTime
You never lose donations. If someone is going to donate... they will donate.

Why in the hell do they not have geographically isolated mirrors up at this point? GRRR. How much money in donations are we losing right now?

Violated my profanity rule, which I've kept for so long. Sorry, censorship advocates. :(

derdy
Let's hope there aren't any 'power issues' for the Tea Party

fcofer
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Well, forget about a declaration of war. We've got to act now, regardless of whether or not we know who's at fault.

You know, I think huck's forum needs a regime change. ;)

(This is supposed to be satire, people, just in case you aren't feeling humorous at the news in this thread.)

TAWAY07
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
can someone set up a mirrored site so this doesn't happen for the next fundraising drive?

Ron Paul Fan
11-12-2007, 08:13 PM
No satire. Power issues is a lame excuse. The Paul campaign has millions of dollars in the bank! It had to have been hackers. This was their test run so that they can take us down on December 16th. If you guys don't declare war I'll take us anyway. I am the decider!

quickmike
11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

Hell isnt really profanity. Hell, I say it all the time. Its in the bible right? Words like c--ksucker, f--ker, d--khead, sh-t, and a--hole.................... now those are some good ones.

Mark Rushmore
Some of us are already taking bets on whether there'll be a DDOS attack on Dec. 16th.

derdy
In the interim you can send all donations to me:D

Stealth4
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
can we get backups and better net security? There must be people on this forum or supporters of RP who are experts in this matter and would do this work/provide hardware for free gladly.

constitutional
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
disappointing. I wish they'd hire better campaign managers.

Furis
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
This would be very, very, very, very, extremely bad if it happens on the 16th

yes, I know Im stating the obvious.

fcofer
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Hell isnt really profanity. Hell, I say it all the time. Its in the bible right? Words like c--ksucker, f--ker, d--khead, sh-t, and a--hole.................... now those are some good ones.

Sure, I improve my everyday speech with choice bits of profanity as well. I've just made an effort not to be profane on the forums so that I can argue against censorship and have extra credibility. :)

framecut
11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
This would be very, very, very, very, extremely bad if it happens on the 16th

yes, I know Im stating the obvious.

If this happens....I'll donate to Huckabee!!!!!

r3volution
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM

i hope that is a joke , if not i hope you are banned ..

DealzOnWheelz
11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
disappointing. I wish they'd hire better campaign managers.

the campaign managers are great here. i'm so sick of people "oh I'm disappointed in ron!!" or "I'm disappointed in his team"

you might as well vote for Hitlery.

quit the negativity Ron Pauls campaign HQ know what they are doing.

SHIT happens servers crash its not uncommen. and i'm sick of being labeled a conspiracy theorist because of the people that always think its hackers or this or that.

I hope we can all stop thinking about the negatives especially the conspiracy theories regardless of how plausible and possible they may be. Ron Paul knows something was up with 9/11 but do you see him running around yelling "the sky is falling" no

Menthol Patch
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I do think Ron Paul 2008 needs a dedicated server with a backup power generator.

framecut
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
SHIT happens servers crash its not uncommen. and i'm sick of being labeled a conspiracy theorist because of the people that always think its hackers or this or that.

Servers can be mirrored.

There's no excuse why they placed all their eggs in one basket.

Adamsa
11-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Who needs a declaration? :D

Furis
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Im not saying hackers, BUT it wouldnt surprise me. What Ron promotes is not good for the current leadership and string pullers so they will try to stop him.

frasu
11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
it's getting close to the hour since the site is down... hope this is another lesson or alarm...

sandersondavis
11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
No satire. Power issues is a lame excuse. The Paul campaign has millions of dollars in the bank! It had to have been hackers. This was their test run so that they can take us down on December 16th. If you guys don't declare war I'll take us anyway. I am the decider!

I trust Ron Paul and I trust his campaign. If they say power issues, I believe them!
'nuff said

Ron Paul Fan
11-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Im not saying hackers, BUT it wouldnt surprise me. What Ron promotes is not good for the current leadership and string pullers so they will try to stop him.

Exactly. This is just their dry run so that they're prepared for December 16th. What we need is more security. Anyone who wants to get into the Ron Paul official website will need to give information such as name, phone number, address, social security #, medical history, criminal history, bank account #s, and anything else private. We will then run a background check on these people and create a database of all of these people. We need to know who these people are. We cannot wait for the smoking gun which could come in the form of a crashed server.

r3volution
11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
omg , omg , omg , omfg . i think its aliens .

JoshLowry
11-12-2007, 08:56 PM

Stop spreading FUD.

I spoke directly to Justine and she had me post that message to dispel the exact rumors you are spreading.

Thanks.

fcofer
11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I trust Ron Paul and I trust his campaign. If they say power issues, I believe them!
'nuff said

That's not the point. We've raised $8 million this quarter so far. The campaign can afford geographically isolated mirrors so that the loss of power, or whatever, at one location will not cause this kind of a crisis. The cost of this would be absolutely trivial relative to the amount of money that is being raised.

I guess it's good that this happened now; hopefully the campaign will take some better preventive steps.

jenius
11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Just wondering. It would be nice to be able to communicate, for instance, about why the official website is down atm.

Furis
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Stop spreading FUD.

I spoke directly to Justine and she had me post that message to dispel the exact rumors you are spreading.

Thanks.

I dont want to be an alarmist, but the whole hacker thing is a possibility for the 16th. I know that if I was any of the other major candidates I would do may damnedest to disrupt another money bomb.

ChrisM
11-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Power outage is the word from ronpaulgraphs. I can't find anything official.

jpinkerton
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing it's a server issue, as it is able to respond to ping/tracert - maybe Apache went down...

anotherone
That's not the point. We've raised $8 million this quarter so far. The campaign can afford geographically isolated mirrors so that the loss of power, or whatever, at one location will not cause this kind of a crisis. The cost of this would be absolutely trivial relative to the amount of money that is being raised.

I guess it's good that this happened now; hopefully the campaign will take some better preventive steps.

EXACTLY. I've seen these website outages toooooo many time with ronpaul2008.com . I've never called the HQ before, but I think I'll call them to say they should have redundant websites. This is a wakeup call.

Adamsa
Campaign says server guys are doing something with the power supply, it'll be back soon.

Hancock1776
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I noticed a minute ago that it was down. There was no announcement of downtime, but that may just mean it didn't occur to them to mention it.

In the back of my mind I suspect foul play, which will quickly be corrected.

cac1963
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I read a few articles in the Seattle paper saying that massive storms were knocking out power everywhere. Is their "host" in the Seattle area? From previous experience, I know that hosting servers at your own location doesn't help you any when your upstream bandwidth provider can't keep his lights turned on. Is that the actual case here?

JoshLowry
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I dont want to be an alarmist, but the whole hacker thing is a possibility for the 16th. I know that if I was any of the other major candidates I would do may damnedest to disrupt another money bomb.

I am not saying that is out of the realm of possibilities.

The purpose of the thread was to dispel any rumors about the server crash that is currently being dealt with.

jpinkerton
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I would guess it was something that was not planned - but I can't imagine that on a server as important as Ron's they don't have redundant hot swappable power supplies. I can swap out a power supply in a server in our server room without downtime, I can't believe Ron's server is not in a position to do that....

Apauled
11-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Someone tell me if you can get on or not! 10:04
I can't! WHY!

constitutional
the campaign managers are great here. i'm so sick of people "oh I'm disappointed in ron!!" or "I'm disappointed in his team"

you might as well vote for Hitlery.

quit the negativity Ron Pauls campaign HQ know what they are doing.

I hope we can all stop thinking about the negatives especially the conspiracy theories regardless of how plausible and possible they may be. Ron Paul knows something was up with 9/11 but do you see him running around yelling "the sky is falling" no

I don't know what you are trying to say in the rest of your post but servers can be set up so if one server goes down, the other one still holds on the website. This is crucial. Now just imagine if the website was down on 5th or Dec 16th? But then, I don't know what exactly happened to the server as of now or how they are set up. RP's website should be up 100% of the time, no questions.

hellah10
power outage

derdy
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Not to mention a mirrored site.

They need to build in some type of redundancy.

What happens when we go to donate on the 16th and it says:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

lx43
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
How much does a redundant system cost? Maybe thats the issue why they haven't set one up/

Mark
11-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Posted by "takeaction" on DailyPaul.com

I just called them, and talked to the head guy. They are doing a server upgrade and asked for all of us to be patient...and please do not call or email. It will be back up in a little while. They wanted me to post this as soon as possible. DO NOT CALL!! They are making the site faster!

http://dailypaul.com/node/7223

leftinthemidwest
The official campaign website is currently offline, has anybody seen this or know whats going on I posted here because there are the most people viewing

conner_condor
RP graphs is froze at 42,990. A mirror server would been nice and paid for allready. How many people might wanted to give 100 today and tomorro can now give only 50. They loose money all the time the server is down.Could of had a 50k day again.

adwads
11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I just noticed it is down also. I hope this isn't a deliberate attack on the website.

jpinkerton
11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
power outage

This is so stupid, a datacenter SHOULD NOT BE EFFECTED BY A POWER OUTAGE. Especially one that is hosting a candidates website, they have generators onsite that run on diesel and can be refueled. The datacenter is not having a power outage. I would guess some crap like Apache, as it is still responding to a ping/tracert. Though I can't say 100% positive, but I do not believe it would be a power outage.

jd603
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Way to go RackSpace.

I can easily do a mirror for the campaign, no charge, in my data center, no idea who to contact though...?!?!

ctb619
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
"Campaign Announcement: RonPaul2008.com Host Experiencing Power Issues"

jpinkerton
11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
They really didn't plan a server upgrade very well - should've been in early morning times, 3am we're talkin' - and as jd stated, a mirror is not that hard to setup, come on!

jd603
11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Occasionally it happens, even if you spend big bucks on redundancy, there's always SOMETHING that happens, heh, but key is being prepared to deal with it and having on-call electricians etc. I have some years I do 100% uptime, others 99.99 etc. , but even with all precautions, once you factor in human error too, every data center has down-time. :)

This is so stupid, a datacenter SHOULD NOT BE EFFECTED BY A POWER OUTAGE. Especially one that is hosting a candidates website, they have generators onsite that run on diesel and can be refueled. The datacenter is not having a power outage. I would guess some crap like Apache, as it is still responding to a ping/tracert. Though I can't say 100% positive, but I do not believe it would be a power outage.

jake
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Let's hope there aren't any 'power issues' for the Tea Party

yeah no kidding. any sort of downtime on dec. 16th could literally be the difference between success and failure for the ENTIRE campaign!

FluxCapacitor
There are ways to prevent your website being down due to power outage at the host. It just costs money.

Ron Paul's campaign got some good press at the end of the 3rd quarter for being so frugal. Paul reminded his staff not to be extravagant with the spending. It must be difficult for them to switch gears now that their fundraising has grown so powerful.

It's a risk that every website has to address.

I bet the campaign will spend a bit extra to ensure this doesn't happen again. It's a good lesson.

fcofer
i hope that is a joke , if not i hope you are banned ..

:eek: I hope your statement is a joke and you don't want someone banned just for making a single, flippant, unpopular remark!

jpinkerton
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Occasionally it happens, even if you spend big bucks on redundancy, there's always SOMETHING that happens, heh, but key is being prepared to deal with it and having on-call electricians etc. I have some years I do 100% uptime, others 99.99 etc. , but even with all precautions, once you factor in human error too, every data center has down-time. :)

But JD, come on - you can't tell me they couldn't have mirrored the site, even a small low bandwidth site that just has a current status/eta on server. ;)

leftinthemidwest
11-12-2007, 09:20 PM
RE: 404 error on the 16th, I had emailed the tech staff at the campaign prior to the 5th event just to make sure they could handle what was coming, they said no problem. So I can imagine all should go well on the 16th Tea Party in terms of handling the transactions. I am however worried about some anti-paul entity doing something technically malicious that day.

LibertyEagle
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
FluxCapacitor:

Wow! The effects on your video were very neat. I agree with one of the posters that you should hook up with ELib3rty on a kick butt video.

BiPolarBear
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM

Do you ever post anything positive on here? All I see is 9/11 truth this and that and multiple mentions of the Huckster...

r3volution
11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by framecut

Do you ever post anything positive on here? All I see is 9/11 truth this and that and multiple mentions of the Huckster...

i agree , every post this guy makes he trys to stir up an argument . i cant believe the mods allow it .

jd603
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Exactly, I want to offer free resources but I always have trouble reaching the campaign.

i got an idea tho...

But JD, come on - you can't tell me they couldn't have mirrored the site, even a small low bandwidth site that just has a current status/eta on server. ;)

JosephTheLibertarian
Some of us are already taking bets on whether there'll be a DDOS attack on Dec. 16th.

any money involved? ;)

JoshLowry
i agree , every post this guy makes he trys to stir up an argument . i cant believe the mods allow it .

He has been sent a PM.

If you would like to make the moderator team aware of something please use the http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/buttons/report.gif icon.

Thanks.

leftinthemidwest
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
and this idea is?

Mark
11-12-2007, 09:29 PM

going by my 'donation' firefox add-on.. (no updates for a while)

I'll be watching until it updates again..

maybe.. that will be a clue the site is back up..

jpinkerton
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Wow this thread exploded fast! :)

7 Pages!

Mark Rushmore
11-12-2007, 09:35 PM
any money involved? ;)

I'll remember what money is come mid-November 2008 ;).

tlynch
11-12-2007, 09:35 PM
What kind of web host doesn't have generators?

tekkierich
11-12-2007, 09:36 PM
As an IT professional with lots of hosting exp I wish I could get in there and see what is going on. Last year I worked for a small company that did lots of work for non-profits in the DC area. We had one very prominent group that you all have heard of that works on an issue that was in the news all of the time. They semi frequently would have their director on Good Morning America or a bill related to their issue before congress, or a case at the Supreme Court. Traffic could be very spiky at times.

Unexpected downtime like this completely unacceptable for any reason.

Richie
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Will you guys relax? As far as I know, this is the first time the site has been down. The servers withstood all the traffic on the fifth, and usually withstand (enough to donate, anyway) after the debates. It can certainly take a pounding and survive (unlike this server has been in the past).

r3volution
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
its back up

jjschless
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow this thread exploded fast! :)

7 Pages!

It doesn't take much for the trolls to start spamming.

leftinthemidwest
11-12-2007, 09:43 PM
As an IT professional with lots of hosting exp I wish I could get in there and see what is going on. Last year I worked for a small company that did lots of work for non-profits in the DC area. We had one very prominent group that you all have heard of that works on an issue that where in the news all of the time. They semi frequently would have their director on Good Morning America or a bill related to their issue before congress, or a case at the Supreme Court. Traffic could be very spiky at times.

Unexpected downtime like this completely unacceptable for any reason.

Well let's get some idea's flowing, I've been waiting for an IT professional to get in this thread. Let's get some ideas flowing. Do you see anything constructive anyone outside the campaign could be doing right now or to help prevent this from happening on the 16th? Or anything the community could do on the 16th to make sure this doesn't happen?

rasheedwallace
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
its back up

still down for me.

jd603
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
It's more complicated than that.... most do,,, there's plenty of other things that can go wrong.

JoshLowry
11-12-2007, 09:45 PM
still down for me.

Up for me.

derdy
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Well let's get some idea's flowing, I've been waiting for an IT professional to get in this thread. Let's get some ideas flowing. Do you see anything constructive anyone outside the campaign could be doing right now or to help prevent this from happening on the 16th? Or anything the community could do on the 16th to make sure this doesn't happen?

I think we have a ton of IT professionals on the forums (myself included)

I think that's why you're hearing so many complaints about redundancy, theorizing about DDOS (hacking), and downtime being unexceptable.

tangent4ronpaul
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Before anyone starts speculating, I wanted to inform you that the Ron
Paul 2008 site is down right now (11-12-2007 at 9:00 PM ET).

Our hosting provider is experiencing power issues and their engineers
are working to resolve this issue. The site should be up shortly.

We appreciate your patience.

Justine Lam
Ron Paul 2008

jd603
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
It's back up... pretty nice outage though.

I own and operate a privately held data center in New Hampshire and could probably hand the campaign some free press up here for taking on mirror of the hosting, I think this would be the best bet for the campaign...

I am getting in touch with the NH campaign manager now...

tangent4ronpaul
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
correction - looks like it's back up now.

-n

Mark
11-12-2007, 09:48 PM

my firefox add-on just updated..

anotherone
11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Will you guys relax? As far as I know, this is the first time the site has been down. The servers withstood all the traffic on the fifth, and usually withstand (enough to donate, anyway) after the debates. It can certainly take a pounding and survive (unlike this server has been in the past).

This was NOT the first time. The site went down right after the last debate. Talk about bad timing.

I think we can expect more outages in the future.

derdy
11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Justine,

Can you provide anymore information from the hosting company as to what they have in place to prevent this in the future? Just a little unnerving with the 16th coming up and all. Just wondering if the have a generator or something on site?

Does HQ have any plans of mirroring the site?

Thank you,
Denny

Roxi
11-12-2007, 09:58 PM
hmmm who OWNS that hosting provider company? rupert murdoch? and where the H - E double hockey sticks is my tin foil hat

mkrfctr
11-12-2007, 09:59 PM
For people claiming to be tech people the ignorance and false accusations and expectations are unbelievable...

jd603
11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
The hosting company is RackSpace in Texas, generally not bad reliability, but they have dropped the ball more so than I usually do in regards to Ron's site. That said, no need to stop hosting there, we just need some off-site redundancy/mirroring is all. I am working with the campaign now...

derdy
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
The hosting company is RackSpace in Texas, generally not bad reliability, but they have dropped the ball more so than I usually do in regards to Ron's site. That said, no need to stop hosting there, we just need some off-site redundancy/mirroring is all. I am working with the campaign now...

Awesome!

steph3n
11-12-2007, 10:04 PM

breakers will take down the best of generators.

People here are making up so much.

Abobo
11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
It doesn't always matter if the datacenter has a backup generator or not. The power issue could have been with the server's power supply or a problem with the rack it was hosted on.

If you check WebHostingTalk there's no mention of any power issues at the datacenter. So it was most likely isolated to either the server or the rack.

Energy
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Apparently caused by a traffic accident. Other sites affected (37signals, threadless, etc) as mentioned on techcrunch.com

Quick, Plug The Internet Back In: Major Rackspace Outage

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/12/quick-plug-the-internet-back-in-major-rackspace-outage/

"Apparently a traffic accident is to blame for a major datacenter outage this evening. Rackspace’s Dallas datacenter lost electricity shortly after a traffic accident caused damage to a power transformer. Rackspace’s generators kicked in but, as we’ve seen before, lots of other things can then go wrong. In this case, two chillers within the data center failed to start back up, and a number of servers were taken offline to avoid damage from overheating."