PDA

View Full Version : We Can Still Win Maine: Calling ALL New England Supporters: Washington County Feb. 18

jaktober
02-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Read my article with details on location, time, meet-ups, etc.:

http://freeindependentsun.com/republic/maine-is-not-over-washington-county-17-of-maine-voters-caucus-this-saturday/

I have it up on the Daily Paul as well: http://www.dailypaul.com/213536/lets-win-washington-county-calling-all-new-england-supporters

Washington County is the East Most county in the U.S., thus, it is a far drive for New Englanders. From Boston (where I am now) it is 300 miles. I'll have to talk someone with a car into driving, so I'll need to bribe them with gas money and lunch, yet, I am struggling to buy myself lunch these days (on 5+ months of travel/campaigning). Any help will be appreciated (any extra funds I'll kick to other supporters that make it out to help cover gas/food): http://jaktober.chipin.com/the-free-independent-sun-winter

This might seem like a huge effort for only a couple hundred votes, but getting the books changed (as they did in Iowa) will give us that state victory that'll put us into the general publics radar as a WINNING candidate.

FreedomFox
02-12-2012, 08:33 PM
There's also a petition out calling for the Maine GOP to count all the caucus precinct results: http://www.change.org/petitions/maine-gop-mainstream-media-count-all-caucus-results-including-washington-county#

jaktober
02-12-2012, 08:54 PM
There's also a petition out calling for the Maine GOP to count all the caucus precinct results: http://www.change.org/petitions/maine-gop-mainstream-media-count-all-caucus-results-including-washington-county#

Do you mind posting that as a comment on my article (way more powerful coming from someone else): http://freeindependentsun.com/republic/maine-is-not-over-washington-county-17-of-maine-voters-caucus-this-saturday/

Keith and stuff
02-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Why do you get the 17% of Maine voters number? Also, even if Ron Paul won 65% of the votes in the county, he will still likely not get enough votes to beat Mitt Romney. Also, how do you plan on getting the Maine GOP to count those votes? Whatever the Maine GOP says, is what it is. That's the way the Maine government and the media look at it, anyway :(

jaktober
02-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Why do you get the 17% of Maine voters number? Also, even if Ron Paul won 65% of the votes in the county, he will still likely not get enough votes to beat Mitt Romney. Also, how do you plan on getting the Maine GOP to count those votes? Whatever the Maine GOP says, is what it is. That's the way the Maine government and the media look at it, anyway :(

On the 17%...forgot to fact check that. FAIL. I read it and it stuck in my head. I'll look it back up and get back to you (or pull it).

[Found it as I wrote this comment: http://www.capitalfreepress.com/4786-missing-maine-caucus-votes/ ]

We need 195 more votes in that county than Romney. The County Commission said he is expecting maybe 300 next Saturday. That is without a regional Ron Paul effort. If we "get-out-the-vote" and really hit it hard, we can pull a couple hundred more.

So, let's say we shoot to get 500 voters. And I had seen (will fact check it again...) we were polling 60% there. That'd be 300 votes for Paul, 200 split amongst the other four. That'd be close to the number we need.

Let's say our effort not only gets us that 500 total voters, but gets us 65% (as you say), then that's 325 votes for Paul 175 amongst the others, again, you'd be right, that'd be only 150 over Romney if he gets all the 175 (which isn't likely, but for sake of argument let's say that is the case).

What we are dealing with then, is that we need to double voter turn-out and increase our percentage by 10% if we want to take the lead out right.

Whether or not they get counted is the same thing we face in every election. Yet, we're still here working on an election.

Paul4Prez
02-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Get 'er done.

dskalkowski
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Washington County has 6000+ Registered Republicans. Seriously, we can win.. It'll require organization.

intelliot
02-13-2012, 03:09 AM
I chipped in.

ChocolateChipCookies
02-13-2012, 03:38 AM
'Bad' weather, cancelling, disenfrachisement, manipulation of rules; this is blatently faulty Gov't bureacracy that everyone hates.

This is winnable. We already win by just trying, because this is a small part of the large beast we are against. This could be big. Never give up.

parocks
02-13-2012, 03:42 AM
http://webmusicvideo.com/bachmann2012/media/kunena/attachments/70/rp240battleofmachias1.jpg

Lord Xar
02-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Have u contacted the Maine for Ron Paul group?

freneticentropy
02-13-2012, 03:49 AM
I saw in another thread that there are about 48,000 eligible voters in that county. Since Romney will probably get around 100 votes, that means we need to get at least 300 people to vote. 300 out of 48,000 or 1 out of every 160. It seems like if we can bombard that county, we should be able to get 300 people out. If we can get all the grass roots folks from around Maine and surrounding areas to head up there and canvas and maybe run some radio ads, it seems doable. A huge concentrated effort on one tiny spot. We gotta reach those 48,000 people.

parocks
02-13-2012, 03:55 AM
On the 17%...forgot to fact check that. FAIL. I read it and it stuck in my head. I'll look it back up and get back to you (or pull it).

[Found it as I wrote this comment: http://www.capitalfreepress.com/4786-missing-maine-caucus-votes/ ]

We need 195 more votes in that county than Romney. The County Commission said he is expecting maybe 300 next Saturday. That is without a regional Ron Paul effort. If we "get-out-the-vote" and really hit it hard, we can pull a couple hundred more.

So, let's say we shoot to get 500 voters. And I had seen (will fact check it again...) we were polling 60% there. That'd be 300 votes for Paul, 200 split amongst the other four. That'd be close to the number we need.

Let's say our effort not only gets us that 500 total voters, but gets us 65% (as you say), then that's 325 votes for Paul 175 amongst the others, again, you'd be right, that'd be only 150 over Romney if he gets all the 175 (which isn't likely, but for sake of argument let's say that is the case).

What we are dealing with then, is that we need to double voter turn-out and increase our percentage by 10% if we want to take the lead out right.

Whether or not they get counted is the same thing we face in every election. Yet, we're still here working on an election.

University of Maine Machias has 1000 students.

It's 5 miles from the caucus.

Washington County is larger than Rhode Island.

the "easy" version of this is (from easier/cheaper to more difficult/expensive)
1) boots on the ground at the University of Maine - Machias Saturday morning 9A.
2) Transportation from U of M Machias to Washington Academy in East Machias - this takes money.
3) events at the U of M Machias to inform and incentivise. There are fraternities at U of M Machias.
http://bluebirdranchrestaurant.com/ - this restaurant seems to meet our qualifications. A family restaurant that serves pitchers of sam adams. Between the U of M and Washington Academy. Closer to the college (it's in Machias)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Machias
I really like Battle of Machias as a theme. The first naval battle of the Revolutionary War.

parocks
02-13-2012, 04:03 AM
I saw in another thread that there are about 48,000 eligible voters in that county. Since Romney will probably get around 100 votes, that means we need to get at least 300 people to vote. 300 out of 48,000 or 1 out of every 160. It seems like if we can bombard that county, we should be able to get 300 people out. If we can get all the grass roots folks from around Maine and surrounding areas to head up there and canvas and maybe run some radio ads, it seems doable. A huge concentrated effort on one tiny spot. We gotta reach those 48,000 people.

1) We have to understand that most of the GOTV work should've been done already. This election was postponed the day before. The voters that we were IDing are still IDd.

2) But we really don't want to necessarily assume that everybody in Washington County loves Ron Paul. We don't necessarily want every person in Washington County to be there. They could vote Romney.

3) Our base is 18-29 males. We win that demographic, especially over Romney.

4) Radio could alert people who aren't our supporters. I'd go with targeted facebook instead of radio.

parocks
02-13-2012, 04:14 AM

I'm over on Maine For Ron Paul, and things are in the vague discussion stage. Someone there has some contact info for the County Coordinator.

I would think we would want these people / organizations involved.

1) Washington County Coordinator
2) East Machias town captain
3) Machias town captain
4) Youth For Ron Paul University of Maine - Machias
5) College Republicans or any political group who can request the use of the University bus or van to take people to the caucus.
(Seriously, if there is a political organization on campus, the top thing they should be doing is getting people to the caucus)
6) Fraternities. Maybe the fraternities can compete for prizes, whoever gets the most votes to the caucus gets something.
7) Blue Bird Ranch Family Restaurant in Machias, Maine http://bluebirdranchrestaurant.com/ - We could have pre or post caucus events at this place.
http://bluebirdranchrestaurant.com/private-dining.html - "Private and Semi-private parties are available for your special occasions. For larger parties of 20 or more we will work with you to prepare a a pre-chosen menu in order to provide you and your guests the best service for your special occasion."

123tim
02-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Bump.

parocks
02-13-2012, 06:00 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?360618-Let-s-Figure-Out-How-to-Win-Maine-Next-Saturday.-Grassroots-Brainstorming-Thread.

another planning thread.

could we maybe sticky a thread on this, and merge some of the planning threads?

The next thing we have other than this is Michigan and Arizona.

These are real votes for delegates, the possibility for a win.

parocks
02-13-2012, 06:21 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WE ARE SO FUCKED.

U of M Machias is on Winter Break!!!

LibertyIn08
02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WE ARE SO ******.

Why you felt the need to post this twice is beyond me.

It is entirely possible to still win the delegates in Washington Co. (and perhaps the votes we need) without Machias.

The cursing is unnecessary as well.

parocks
02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Why you felt the need to post this twice is beyond me.

It is entirely possible to still win the delegates in Washington Co. (and perhaps the votes we need) without Machias.

The cursing is unnecessary as well.

You might not have noticed that I've posted many, many many detailed posts on this topic in the last few hours, many of which assumed that U of M Machias
was in session. Detailed plans were being developed to get those students to the caucus.

So, yes, on these discussion threads, I typed it once, and then I copied it to the other thread, because the same exact information was relevant in the same way to each thread. It's on point.

It may be possible to win the preference poll in East Machias without 1000 college students living 5 miles away in a county larger than Rhode Island with a population under 40K. It's just much more difficult.

LibertyIn08
02-13-2012, 07:13 AM
You might not have noticed that I've posted many, many many detailed posts on this topic in the last few hours, many of which assumed that U of M Machias
was in session. Detailed plans were being developed to get those students to the caucus.

So, yes, on these discussion threads, I typed it once, and then I copied it to the other thread, because the same exact information was relevant in the same way to each thread. It's on point.

It may be possible to win the preference poll in East Machias without 1000 college students living 5 miles away in a county larger than Rhode Island with a population under 40K. It's just much more difficult.

On point and tactful are two very different things. I certainly appreciate your passion but it may be off putting to other members.

Thanks for staying on top of it, though - useful information even if we disagree on how to present it.

jaktober
02-13-2012, 10:15 AM
I chipped in.

Saw that this morning, you rock Elliot! Thanks for reals. It will go a long way (literally you are getting our van 50 mile closer at least).

jaktober
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM

I submitted my join on Meet-Up, am on there now checking to see if it's been updated (they put you on pending in order to approve).

brycen
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I would definitely like to go as well, I posted a meetup on a New Hampshire for Ron Paul meetup group.
http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-6/events/52216152/

Correction: the county has only about 32,000 people, but it is the largest caucus still to vote. The results announced on the 11th are NOT the final official result, the Washington County caucus will still send their delegates to the state convention and that is where the real decision as to who won Maine will be made. Their votes will be counted. Ron Paul is right not to concede this state, as it's not over. The MS media just wanted to report the results on a certain day and aren't paying attention to what the caucus process is.

I intend to focus my efforts on Calais, it's the largest settlement in Washington County with 3,200 people, and I also lived there for 5 years including all four years of high school.

Wouldn't it make sense to focus on the five largest towns:
Calais,
Eastport: 1,500,
Machias: 1,300,
Jonesport: 1,100, and
Woodland: 1,000.

In addition there are also two towns that are way up north in the county, Danforth and Topsfield, they have a long drive but maybe we can get more of them to go?

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I've read there is a college there. Do we anticipate it being President's day weekend will have impact?

sailingaway
02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WE ARE SO FUCKED.

I figured.

Just like Iowa putting caucuses on winter break

so when they moved it, they didn't just move it, they moved a college town to a date when it is on winter break.

Or was it on break on the 11th?

jaktober
02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I would definitely like to go as well, I posted a meetup on a New Hampshire for Ron Paul meetup group.
http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-6/events/52216152/

Correction: the county has only about 32,000 people, but it is the largest caucus still to vote. The results announced on the 11th are NOT the final official result, the Washington County caucus will still send their delegates to the state convention and that is where the real decision as to who won Maine will be made. Their votes will be counted. Ron Paul is right not to concede this state, as it's not over. The MS media just wanted to report the results on a certain day and aren't paying attention to what the caucus process is.

I intend to focus my efforts on Calais, it's the largest settlement in Washington County with 3,200 people, and I also lived there for 5 years including all four years of high school.

Wouldn't it make sense to focus on the five largest towns:
Calais,
Eastport: 1,500,
Machias: 1,300,
Jonesport: 1,100, and
Woodland: 1,000.

In addition there are also two towns that are way up north in the county, Danforth and Topsfield, they have a long drive but maybe we can get more of them to go?

I'm thinking we need at least 2 people out front of the caucus itself handing out super brochures so people will read them as they go in.

Aside from that we should definitely focus on the most populated (and dense) areas.

Having lived in Calais it is important you focus on that. "I went to high school out here, after seeing that they pushed back your caucus, and might even refuse to count it, I felt the need to come out here and see what I could do to help." Sold.

I need to talk with someone who went out there last week/end and find out how the GOTV went, etc. I'll also check out those towns and see what we can do with the people we have. Maybe drop a couple people off in dense neighborhoods and go door-to-door.

This is going to be a rough and epic effort. Let's not kid that it'll be easy...but it'll be worth it.