PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 Delegate Experience

SilentBull
02-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I know some people are wondering what it is like to be a delegate. I wrote the following post to give people here an idea of my experience back in 2008.

http://www.truthinexile.com/2012/02/12/my-2008-delegate-experience/

Aratus
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
100,ooo thanx Logikal!!! this year, some of us just might make it to tampa!!!!

ssjevot
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
My 2008 delegate experience sucked, because I was in Minnesota and the GOP did everything they could to ruin it for us.

SilentBull
02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
100,ooo thanx Logikal!!! this year, some of us just might make it to tampa!!!!

I might run again. I'm really considering it now, after what happened in Maine.

Michael Landon
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
My 2008 delegate experience sucked, because I was in Minnesota and the GOP did everything they could to ruin it for us.

Me too. If the Minnesota GOP thinks of Obama as SHIT then they think of Ron Paul and his supporters as the FLYS on that shit. They did anything they could to marginalize us then and I'm expecting the same this year.

- ML

gerryb
02-12-2012, 10:49 PM
There is absolutely no reason we AREN'T the "establishment" already. We've had 4 years, and we still aren't making moves.

How many votes does it take to become a commiteeman? In the county I just moved to, the 5 positions went uncontested. Each uncontested spot got 1500 votes.

How hard would it be to put a slate of 5 against them, and get 1500 votes? These are OUR neighborhoods, go win them and quit yer bitchin'.

J_White
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
nice info !!
we will need this.

tsai3904
02-20-2012, 12:36 AM
This year's National Convention runs from August 27-30. Does one have to be there for the entire four days or can one attend the day of the actual voting only?

I'm helping the grassroots in Wyoming and not many of them can take a week off work so please let me know as this will help us determine who to nominate as delegates to the National Convention.

VegasPatriot
02-20-2012, 12:51 AM
This year's National Convention runs from August 27-30. Does one have to be there for the entire four days or can one attend the day of the actual voting only?

I'm helping the grassroots in Wyoming and not many of them can take a week off work so please let me know as this will help us determine who to nominate as delegates to the National Convention.

If we are going to win the nomination it will be through a brokered convention. This wont happen on just one day, so anyone planning on helping RP win the nomination needs to plan on being there for the entire convention.

tsai3904
02-20-2012, 01:17 AM
If we are going to win the nomination it will be through a brokered convention. This wont happen on just one day, so anyone planning on helping RP win the nomination needs to plan on being there for the entire convention.

That's not my point. We need to decide within a week who to nominate as delegates. As of today, a brokered convention is highly unlikely and I need to know if it is a requirement to attend all four days of the convention.

If by the time August comes around and a brokered convention is likely, I guarantee you that the people we nominate as delegates would love to stay the entire four days but at this time, that is not going to sell to someone in rural Wyoming who needs to plan on spending $3k out of pocket and take a week off work.

Danke
02-20-2012, 01:41 AM
That's not my point. We need to decide within a week who to nominate as delegates. As of today, a brokered convention is highly unlikely and I need to know if it is a requirement to attend all four days of the convention.

If by the time August comes around and a brokered convention is likely, I guarantee you that the people we nominate as delegates would love to stay the entire four days but at this time, that is not going to sell to someone in rural Wyoming who needs to plan on spending $3k out of pocket and take a week off work.

There will be fund raisers for those going.

SilentBull
02-20-2012, 08:14 AM

When I went I missed only the last day. I think it was 5 days long and we voted on the 4th. I don't really recommend only showing up for voting though. It's a week long event. I suppose someone could do that if they really wanted to. That's why there are alternate delegates. But delegates should ideally be people who are willing to stay there for the whole event. And as someone mentioned, there will probably be fundraisers for those who need help.

tsai3904
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
When I went I missed only the last day. I think it was 5 days long and we voted on the 4th. I don't really recommend only showing up for voting though. It's a week long event. I suppose someone could do that if they really wanted to. That's why there are alternate delegates. But delegates should ideally be people who are willing to stay there for the whole event. And as someone mentioned, there will probably be fundraisers for those who need help.

I'm a die hard supporter and I would love to go for all four days and would be glad to pay for all expenses out of my pocket. We are not dealing with these kinds of supporters in rural Wyoming. We won a county where a TOTAL of 30 people voted. We do not have the luxury to find someone who can take a week off work and pay $3k out of pocket.

I understand there will be fundraisers and will let them know but the question still remains, does one have to attend all four days? From your experience, it sounds like it is not a requirement to attend every day of the convention.

SilentBull
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm a die hard supporter and I would love to go for all four days and would be glad to pay for all expenses out of my pocket. We are not dealing with these kinds of supporters in rural Wyoming. We won a county where a TOTAL of 30 people voted. We do not have the luxury to find someone who can take a week off work and pay $3k out of pocket.

I understand there will be fundraisers and will let them know but the question still remains, does one have to attend all four days? From your experience, it sounds like it is not a requirement to attend every day of the convention.

The alternate delegate assigned to you will just take your place at the convention, so I don't think it's a requirement to be there the whole week, but I'm not sure if you are required to be there on the first day to check in or something.