PDA

View Full Version : [video] Alabama Issues - Can we get confirmation?

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6CSTQpzkc

walt
02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
bump

robertwerden
02-12-2012, 07:13 PM
This sounds like someone in AL is pretending to be, or has infiltrated the official campaign. I can not see how any real ron paul supporters or staff would deny anyone any materials or support they need. He should contact Jesse Benton and let him know whats going on. This is likely a GOP trick.

walt
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
This sounds like someone in AL is pretending to be, or has infiltrated the official campaign. I can not see how any real ron paul supporters or staff would deny anyone any materials or support they need. He should contact Jesse Benton and let him know whats going on. This is likely a GOP trick.

Maybe you have that backward?

Oddone
02-12-2012, 07:28 PM
His video doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It is hard to tell who he is talking about. If he means the GOP or the Ron Paul HQ in Alabama. He is even claiming that he was threatend to be shot for supporting Ron Paul, by the Ron Paul campaign? Umm... Maybe he needs to clarify who and what he is talking about.

floridasun1983
02-12-2012, 07:30 PM
This raises serious questions. Hope we get answers.

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
bump.

Alabama RPF members to jump on this.

Warmon
02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
The guy is the video is Doug Miller and is running as a RP Delegate in Alabama. I think what he is saying, is that things statewide are FUBAR.

mosquitobite
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
The campaign told them not to put signs on private property where those people are not known Ron Paul supporters. That's one of his "beefs"

I do agree that the campaign has dropped the ball on a lot of things.

For one, Indiana had a deadline of Feb 10th at noon to sign up to be delegates. The campaign has the delegate sign up on their website. Then the campaign filtered those down to grassroots volunteers who had signed non-disclosure stuff. (all fine)

Problem is, that's relying SOLELY on people who signed up to be delegates on Ron Paul's main website. In addition, the volunteers were charged with HUGE territories while working for a living. Those volunteers were responsible for contacting all those people individually by phone/email. (on their own time/dime) One guy in my local area said he signed up over a month ago and got the call on FRIDAY (The deadline).

In addition, surely the campaign could have used a donor list for something like this? People willing to put up cash, surely would be willing to put up their time to volunteer to be a delegate.

All in all, I'm JUST as frustrated with the campaign as I was in 2008.
I love that this is a grassroots movement, but it's IN SPITE of the campaign, not because.

CJLauderdale4
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Ok..

I'm from Alabama. The official grassroots is up here.
Yes - he is correct. They are not giving us the campaign materials.

I just helped open the official grassroots headquerters here in Huntsville / Madison area in North Alabama.

So - we opened the grassroots headquarters on Saturday. We have folks working with the campaign, but they are NOT providing us anything. We are having to buy our own stuff.

BUT HEAR THIS:
MOST PRIMARY STATES ARE NOW PROPORTIONAL AND NOT WINNER-TAKE-ALL, and the campaign is treating us all the same. THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!!

The rule is: if Ron Paul gets 20% across the state, and even in some Congressional Districts, we can get some HARD DELEGATES to the convention.

This is what Philosophy is talking about. So screw the campaign on this one. We are up here with our own signs we made and/or bought. We opened up a headquarters. We did canvassing and sign-waving this past Saturday and WE'RE FIRED UP!!

You can see all we're doing ourselves at the North Alabama for Ron Paul meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/northalabamaconservatives/

The campaign truly needs to wake up and differentiate PROPORTIONAL primaries from WINNER-TAKE-ALL primaries.

UPDATE -- and one more thing:

Alabama is 50 proportional delegates this year!! That's as much as Florida and in the top 12 of states in delegates. Why wouldn't the campaign go after this!!!

CJLauderdale4
02-12-2012, 09:32 PM
bump...
Are there really other proportional primary states with a lot of delegates having this problem with the campaign???

unknown
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Ok..

I'm from Alabama. The official grassroots is up here.
Yes - he is correct. They are not giving us the campaign materials.

I just helped open the official grassroots headquerters here in Huntsville / Madison area in North Alabama.

So - we opened the grassroots headquarters on Saturday. We have folks working with the campaign, but they are NOT providing us anything. We are having to buy our own stuff.

BUT HEAR THIS:
MOST PRIMARY STATES ARE NOW PROPORTIONAL AND NOT WINNER-TAKE-ALL, and the campaign is treating us all the same. THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!!

The rule is: if Ron Paul gets 20% across the state, and even in some Congressional Districts, we can get some HARD DELEGATES to the convention.

This is what Philosophy is talking about. So screw the campaign on this one. We are up here with our own signs we made and/or bought. We opened up a headquarters. We did canvassing and sign-waving this past Saturday and WE'RE FIRED UP!!

You can see all we're doing ourselves at the North Alabama for Ron Paul meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/northalabamaconservatives/

The campaign truly needs to wake up and differentiate PROPORTIONAL primaries from WINNER-TAKE-ALL primaries.

UPDATE -- and one more thing:

Alabama is 50 proportional delegates this year!! That's as much as Florida and in the top 12 of states in delegates. Why wouldn't the campaign go after this!!!

Very interesting.

Looking from the outside, I think most believe that the campaign is on top of this stuff considering our whole delegate strategy.

How can others help you?

walt
02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Very interesting.

Looking from the outside, I think most believe that the campaign is on top of this stuff considering our whole delegate strategy.

How can others help you?

I have an idea, but I've been told it sounds like a broken record.....that doesn't mean it is wrong.....

CJLauderdale4
02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I have an idea, but I've been told it sounds like a broken record.....that doesn't mean it is wrong.....

..and the idea is...??

Martin Silenus
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm a candidate for delegate down here in Alabama, and I can tell you that I have been disappointed with the campaign down here.

I finally received a call today from the campaign, and while they provided some useful information, it was not confirmed to me whether or not I could get some materials for canvassing, tableing, etc.

Fortunately, I've received materials via Youth for Ron Paul and that seems to be going better. I've seen little to no movement from the official campaign, just sign waves and the like from the grassroots here in Birmingham. In the phone call I received today, I was told that PFH here is starting to get off the ground, but I think the campaign is coming late to the party, especially given that Alabama is in the top 12 for delegates this time around, and it only takes 20% to get delegates (and some of those are 20% in Congressional Districts). Pulling delegates out of Alabama is completely within the realm of possibility, but the campaign does not seem interested in committing lots of materials to the state.

floridasun1983
02-12-2012, 11:52 PM
..and the idea is...??I won't speak for him, but I would venture a guess that his idea is that the campaign is understaffed or inappropriately staffed. For the record I am not saying that is or is not the case, as I don't have enough information to base an educated opinion, but I do find the allegations in the video disturbing.

shane77m
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I am a volunteer for the campaign in Walker County. Our district coordinator does a good job at getting materials. The problem I am having is getting others around me to get involved. It's hard to help campaign when no one is interested. They want to sit around and complain but don't put in any effort to change things. One thing that would help in Alabama would probably be some radio and TV adds. I haven't heard or seen any. I would also say that 2 out of 3 people I talk to do not know who Ron Paul is or they are blindly following the media candidate of the week.

The Facebook for the official Alabama campaign is in my signature. It is not for the guy in the video's Facebook page.

TheTyke
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
In Kentucky, which is also proportional and even has full delegate election by convention (much like Nevada,) we couldn't get voter lists, supporter contacts, or even a response from the person they told us to contact. Our conventions start in under a month, and there has been no official word put out to KY supporters, and I haven't even learned who is coordinating the state. I was very active in Ron & Rand's previous campaigns and know many of the other folks who were involved, who seem to be having the same issues.

I understand they are focusing on the caucus states, it's difficult to manage all 50 states and understand the rules.... and I also think they've run a heck of a campaign and have defended them... but it's sort of their job to figure this stuff out. At very least if people are willing to work, they could hand them the tools.

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Bumping

muzzled dogg
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
bump

jbauer
02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
well how can we help? money? time? If the offical campaign isn't getting the expected results and they want this to be a "grass roots" effort then lets do it. What, when and where?

mosquitobite
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
At very least if people are willing to work, they could hand them the tools.

This. Doug Wead, others running the campaign, etc - if someone has been a supporter since 2007 (and donated regularly) and is willing to put forth time & energy into the cause - don't just ignore their emails. (yes, has been done to me.) I asked for names that I could call to help recruit delegates in Indiana...the email was sent last week - still no response. I called the campaign and they even told me directly who to email. I am a stay at home mommy investing a LOT of time into this campaign - but if I had the right tools I'd be a one woman army.

Bama Boy
02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Alabama is basically hopeless. Campaign needs to focus in the NE and West. The South is no friend to liberty. Sad but true.

jbauer
02-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Disagree, I'm in TN and there are a bunch of supporters as well as a bunch of recent converts in my wake. He would have dramatically more supporters if he spoke open and honest about his foreign policy. Even if you have to pay for ad spots in major cities. Iran makes the perfect time to hit it hard and explain why they have a choice. There is only so many people you can direct to youtube to get the story.

CMoore
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Alabama is problematic. While there are many liberty-minded people in Alabama, there are way too many whose only focus is college sports. Many people in Alabama are uneducated and depend on the TV to tell them what to think. It is fertile ground for Fox News, et. al. There is work to be done here.