PDA

View Full Version : CTRattlesnakes's Maine analysis: One more shot

CTRattlesnake
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Like many of you, I was devastated by our slim defeat in Maine, and quite frankly, I began wondering if the campaign was over. However, I've taken a step back and realized a few things. The campaign is not over, but we NEED to win at least 1 contest before Super Tuesday, that much is obvious... but do we really know why?

Lets look at a breakdown of current GOP voters in terms of Ron Paul

From strongest supporters to weakest supporters

10%---die hard, NOBP people
10%--soft supporters (ranges from 0-10% nationally)
25%-- Like RP's ideas, but dont think he is a viable candidate
30%---dont like RP's policies, but are not as spiteful as the below
25%--- Mark Levin types, will never vote for RP, hate his presence in the GOP

The underlined group is why we desperately need to win. Lets be completely honest with ourselves here, we cannot win the nomination with 15% of support from GOP members. Its not going to happen. So, what we need to do is convert the 20-30% of the GOP that agrees with RP on most things, and is willing to vote for him, but simply thinks he cant win and is not a serious candidate, so they through their support behind the flavor of the month, or whoever the media tells them can win. I cannot tell you how many times i've heard people say that they think Ron Paul is the most principled, most trustworthy candidate, but cant vote for him because they dont think he can win. This of course, will change if we win a state.

Winning is the big challenge. Not only do we need to win a state, but we need to do it soon, before March 6th. After super tuesday, the caucus states begin to end, as will the proportional delegate allocations. In other words, if we dont start winning, the whole 'delegate' strategy goes out the window, because theres no way we can get delegates without winning, and as I said before, we cant win with only 15% of the GOP. So we need to win to boost our support.

Maine was our best shot so far. A small, independent state where we could get crossover support as well and its frustrating that we fell just short. However unlike I had originally thought, Maine was not the be-all end-all, Maine was not our last chance. We have 1 more chance to convert the 20-30% and win some states on Super Tuesday and propel our campaign into the primary/winner take all contests.

My fellow Ron Paul supporters, Washington State is our last stand. That will be our Thermopylae. In 08', Paul won several counties, and lost to McCain by 500 votes, carrying 21% of the low turnout, open caucus, easily one of our best states 4 years ago.

If we cant do it in Washington, we cant do it anywhere. Its even got a leg up on Maine, because unlike Maine, Romney did not dominate the Washington caucus in 08.

Whats more, Washington is 3 days before Super Tuesday! Its like a perfectly gift wrapped opportunity from the GOP to us. Imagine: Paul wins the caucus, and thats fresh on the minds of people 3 days later as Paul goes on to win Alaska, Idaho, and North Dakota, further solidifying his support and proving that he is viable candidate. Then, the 25% begin gravitating towards us and we can move forward from there.

If we dont win, we are doomed to play a minor role for the rest of the nomination process and expect to bring 300 or so delegates to the convention.

So essentially:

-Running out of caucus/proportional states, delegate strategy wont work for long
-Need to win to convert 20-30% of people who like Paul but dont think he is a viable candidate/ can win
-Washington presents perfect opportunity (Paul lost by 500 votes in 08, 21% of vote, Romney did not win, open caucus)
-3 days before super tuesday, could launch us to multiple wins down the road
- If we dont win before Super tuesday, we will play a small role throughout the final months of the primaries

nano1895
02-11-2012, 10:13 PM
+rep, I hope the campaign recognizes this.

GopBlackList
02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
he didnt lose by 500...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Republican_primary,_2008

CTRattlesnake
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
he didnt lose by 500...

Thats the primary, in 08 there was a primary and caucus.

There is no primary this year, its only a caucus. So in 08, he lost the caucus by 500 votes

sailingaway
02-11-2012, 10:46 PM
he didnt lose by 500...

I remember that. It was split in two days for some reason. And he dominated (well, in the 20 ish percent) the first day which was supertuesday. Then the media FALSELY reported he had dropped out. Then the next day his numbers weren't nearly as good.

I wasn't plugged in, but my primary was on super duper Tuesday (California) and I did vote for Ron and track the results right then. I don't know if there was something about the Washington caucus that makes it otherwise explainable, though.

sailingaway
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Thats the primary, in 08 there was a primary and caucus.

There is no primary this year, its only a caucus. So in 08, he lost the caucus by 500 votes

ok. that might have been it. I hadn't found these forums and had just looked in a bit at the dp at the time.

wetroof
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
he didnt lose by 500...

That's the primary held 2/19/08. Caucus was on 2/9/08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Republican_caucuses,_2008

Washington is not holding a primary this year. that's good for RP. And it does not make sense to do both, which they did apparently, because essentially then the primary is a waste of time and money if not allocating delegates.

walt
02-11-2012, 10:48 PM
+rep, I hope the campaign recognizes this.

Fuck them. This will be 110% grassroots or it will not happen.

presence
02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
This is the GRASSROOTS TIPPING POINT for RP 2012 MOMENTUM!

Could Ron Paul Still Win Maine?
February 12, 2012, 8:44 pm
By NATE SILVER

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/could-ron-paul-still-win-maine/

"Ron Paul’s campaign is claiming that it could still win the presidential preference poll in the Maine caucus because of a county that postponed its vote and will hold its caucus next Saturday, Feb. 18."

"A more likely scenario, perhaps, is that Mr. Paul ['s VOLUNTEER GRASSROOTS MACHINE] would work to turn out his supporters while the other campaigns would not. "

"If Mr. Paul were somehow to secure the 194-vote margin, that would create a messy scenario for the Maine G.O.P."

"A handful of Maine towns outside of Washington County have also not yet held caucuses. In those cases, however, the caucuses were scheduled for after Feb. 11 all along. Only 45 votes were cast in these towns in 2008,"

"Washington County might theoretically have some untapped potential for Mr. Paul. It is rural and relatively poor"

--------------------------------------

YOU HAVE FIVE DAYS!

NATIONAL RP GRASSROOTS TURN YOUR ATTENTION TO WASHINGTON CO MAINE!

Washington county, on the eastern most tip of the continental US, a rural county where folks were used to toughing it through bitter winters with little money, became the turning point in the defence of the Constitution, when after having been denied the LIBERTY to go out and vote because "the party" was concerned for their SAFETY in a snowstorm, voters stood up to be heard...

Tell the tale!

dirigo,

presence

Edward
02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Lets look at a breakdown of current GOP voters in terms of Ron Paul

From strongest supporters to weakest supporters

10%---die hard, NOBP people
10%--soft supporters (ranges from 0-10% nationally)
25%-- Like RP's ideas, but dont think he is a viable candidate
30%---dont like RP's policies, but are not as spiteful as the below
25%--- Mark Levin types, will never vote for RP, hate his presence in the GOP

Where did you get these figures? Ron has received a little over 11% of the votes cast thus far, but you have his support at 20%.

eleganz
02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Though I agree with most of what was said in the OP...

Lots of talk in here, who is walking?

and why are we, the grassroots, still relying on the campaign?

Ron Paul won't be president if we sit idly by depending on the campaign to win this for us. THAT IS A FACT.