PDA

View Full Version : questions about delegates

garrettwombat
11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
i know i need to go find a lot of my information else where...

but from my understanding is that when we all go vote in the primaries it doesnt really even matter... what matters is what our deligates say...
am i right on this?

also, i am 19 years old and have never voted in the past... how likely am i to be able to become a deligate?

i have recently found out that my representative is a man named glen beck and i know for a fact he supports rudy by looking at his personal online donation records. iv been asking a lot of people around here about getting involved and the responses iv gotten have been along the lines of
"you better be careful or you will end up in a ditch"

im not letting those words bother me... but i need to start doing something on a higher level than sign waving...

also... anyone know any good resources on everything i would need to know about what deligates are and do and the qualifications on being one.

constitutional
11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
There is a sticky thread where you can discuss this. I quote Krippy from there:

"There two major types of delegates: bound and unbound. Bound delegates must cast their vote to the person who wins the popular vote in the primary. The unbound delegates are left to vote for whoever they want. The thing is, the unbound typically outnumber the bound by at least 2.

For instance, Indiana has 27 bound and 29 unbound delegates. Therefor, even if Dr. Paul wins the popular vote, the system can be used so that he gets absolutely no delegate votes. This is because getting 51% actually gets you 100%, at least in most states."

uncloned21
11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
There is a sticky thread where you can discuss this. I quote Krippy from there:

"There two major types of delegates: bound and unbound. Bound delegates must cast their vote to the person who wins the popular vote in the primary. The unbound delegates are left to vote for whoever they want. The thing is, the unbound typically outnumber the bound by at least 2.

For instance, Indiana has 27 bound and 29 unbound delegates. Therefor, even if Dr. Paul wins the popular vote, the system can be used so that he gets absolutely no delegate votes. This is because getting 51% actually gets you 100%, at least in most states."

ok so really, the only way we would lose such a state would be if nearly ALL of the unbound delegates ignored the popular vote. is this really likely? has it happened before?

garrettwombat
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
i talked to my voting officer here in my city and he said it is a thousand times not likely to happen... but it can happen...