PDA

View Full Version : Now that the delegate strategy has been opened, won't it be tougher now?

ApathyCured
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
So Doug Wead on Rachel Maddows show discussed the strategy of getting delegates essentially by having Ron Paul supporters vote, then stick around to award delegate positions.....wont the other candidates simply get their people to stick around now post voting and be awarded as delegates thus lowering Ron's numbers???

Unless I have missed something, why did they let this out so early? Wouldnt it have been better to wait until after super tuesday?

joshnorris14
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM
If the other campaigns had Ron Paul supporters they'd be doing the same thing as Paul right now. They don't though.

Okie RP fan
02-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Everyone knows now. And I know many within the establishment have known now also.

That's why it is extremely important that every RPF member and their family members and friends become delegates.

If anyone is asking themselves "What can I do?" the answer is simple: become a delegate if it isn't too late. Become a Precinct chair, vice chair, or simply go to your meeting. Chances are, you'll just be signed right up due to apathy.

There were only four people who attended my precinct meeting, so I automatically became a delegate. For a lot of people, it's that simple. SO DO IT!

We must overwhelm them with numbers at the local, county, state, and national conventions.

thoughtomator
02-11-2012, 12:23 PM
I think it's better that it's open, it gets the word out to more Paul supporters. The occasional supporters of other candidates who might try the same will be few in number - that's the weakness of campaigns driven on marketing and not substance, support a mile wide and a micron thick.

craezie
02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
The good thing is that Rachel Maddow isn't on Fox News, so chances are that no Santorum or Gingrich supporters even hear the interview!

I am quite sure that those who are in charge of the various campaigns know exactly how things work. They just don't have the organization or commitment to make it happen. I am quite glad that this is getting out in the open and media, because then if we are able to win some of these state votes, no one will be able to say we "hijacked" the process or did something dishonest. When you are operating within the established rules, there is nothing to hide.

02-11-2012, 12:29 PM
The value of publicizing it to gain momentum likely was more than the the value of keeping it private.

tsetsefly
02-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Guys, every other campaign knows this is the strategy, theyve known it all the time. Mitt has been doing the same thing(not as good as us though!) with whatever organization he has left form 08 and his paid volenteers. The other campaign just don't have the current organization to do it...

thesnake742
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Its also about the excitement of supporters. Just because they know the strategy doesn't mean they can convince the average person to go out and follow through on it.

The Gold Standard
It is also imperative the Ron Paul delegates keep their support of Ron to themselves when going to the county and state conventions.

Bossobass
It'll be tougher on the establishment.

But, remember... the establishment doesn't have to have supporters of any other candidate at lower levels. They only have to have the GOP faithful to whom they send down the edicts.

Look for them to schedule unannounced meetings to enact rules changes, pass resolutions to grandfather delegates from previous years who have already failed to sign up this before years deadlines and make every attempt to discredit and discard elected delegates to national behind the scenes.

If you aren't naive to the procedures and you have a majority at county and state levels, there's not much they can do.

Should be loads of fun. Our county convention is next Thurs... can't wait. :)

Bosso

Vet_from_cali
02-11-2012, 12:34 PM
It is also imperative the Ron Paul delegates keep their support of Ron to themselves when going to the county and state conventions.

Cant Stress this enough. If the establishment even suspects your a RP supporter, expect not to be selected. i would even go as far as supporting an establishment candidate until the the time is right. We got to outsmart the establishment and beat them by their own rules.

VictorB
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
It as never a secret for any of the other candidates. They don't have the support that Paul does. They don't have supporters willing to go through the process and responsibility of being a delegate.

TIMB0B
02-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Just curious. Do you have to take a vow of who you're supporting as a delegate? I'm just spit-balling here, but if we're worried about being outed by the establishment, what if we became a delegate for another candidate? One that will likely drop out, and then it's open to support Ron Paul later.

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I doubt that most people who saw that show are the ones who show up to Republican elections, except for RP supporters who stay on top of RP coverage no matter where it comes from.

I'd bet the dems and indy's who were watching were just like, "Maaaaaan the GOP is so screwed up". lol

Remember, the other candidates have to PAY people to do the things RP supoporters gladly do for free. Remember that video where Romney hired people to sign wave for him in Florida? lol

I am surprised they havn't been bribing people to do it though. Even Wead said in the interview that you could easily get an unbound delegate at the convention to switch his vote by sending a box of chocolates to his hotel room the night before. Maybe the other candidates are figuring they could just do that if it came to it, not realizing RP delegates will be unbribable.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it was a huge plus that people were informed about the bogus delegate numbers being shown on the MSM. We need as many truths out there as we can get about the media lies and how screwed up things are in general, while people are paying attention.

gunnysmith
02-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm heading to our caucus today at 2:00 pm:)

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
These people won't even take the effort to research the candidates. Do you actually suspect that they'll become organized and dedicated enough to win delegates for their candidates?

opinionatedfool
02-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Most people don't get the whole delegate thing even if you explain it a few times. I am concerned others will copy, but not too concerned. The campaign probably feels the same way.

puppetmaster
02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
we are a unique bunch....the mitts wish his supporters were like us but they never will be because they are being used and they know it. We, on the other hand are the captains!

SovereignMN
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM
It is probably necessary to publicize it so the "casual" Paul supporters will stay engaged knowing it isn't over. Even Paul admitted recently that he eventually has to win some states to have a chance so it was a way of getting people to continue to show up instead of staying home thinking it is a lost cause.

ctiger2
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Rachel's report isn't 100% accurate. People are not voting and then leaving. At my caucus everyone voted and everyone stayed to elect delegates. Romney won our straw poll. However, when it came time to elect our 2 delegates no one besides Paul supporters raised their hand to become one. So, from this I have surmised the other people don't understand the importance of becoming a delegate OR they are too lazy to attend a 4 hour meeting on a future Saturday.

Darthbrooklyn
02-11-2012, 01:11 PM
The average voter can barely show up to vote for their guy.. so theyre definitely not going to stick around to be a delegate for their guy

BongoBrian
I see nobody has posted the link yet... so here ya goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O2zP2VfRZk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BongoBrian
I see nobody has posted the link yet... so here ya goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O2zP2VfRZk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wooden Indian
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM
The media seems to be ignoring that interview for the most part.
Even now, watching Faux News, when Ron's delegates were mentioned during the middle of the Santorum/Romney lovefest, the host got angry, made a twisted face, and shouted, "Ron Paul is so far out there, he doesn't have a chance. Let's talk about Santorum!"

LOL

idiom
02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
To fill all the delegate slots nationally would start getting close to a million volunteers.

If you can't get 10,000 signatures in a state you don't have a hope of getting 10,000 delegates.

BongoBrian
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry, that was my first post here and for some bizarre reason it double posted and I cant seem to delete one of them!

affa
02-11-2012, 01:17 PM
the beauty is that it's never been secret. we made our mission clear 4 years ago, and quite frankly, it's the same mission all campaigns should have: get delegates.

It's a system built from the ground up to help the establishment... but they never realized how easily a group of passionate supporters could turn it on it's head.

we don't need to hide behind the strategy, because the only way they can compete against it is to have a passionate support base... which they don't have.

publicizing this now is a calculated move, and probably is to steal the thunder of other candidates, and change the narrative to: Paul is winning.

gerryb
02-11-2012, 01:34 PM
It will be easier now. The Ron Paul grassroots is not educated about the process in their individual states right now.

Hopefully this puts a flame under our asses to do the research and become educated about the rules in our own states, and get involved.

RonRules
02-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Putting the strategy out in the open is a good thing to do right about now. We're about 1/2 through those 'caucus states" and clearly explaining the strategy and stating that it's perfectly legal will cause a lot less problems later when the Ron Paul delegates start the actual vote for the nominee.

In other words, this will prevent riots in the street, although an headline like: "RINOS RIOT!!" would be fun to read.

RonPaul101.com
02-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I think it's better that it's open, it gets the word out to more Paul supporters. The occasional supporters of other candidates who might try the same will be few in number - that's the weakness of campaigns driven on marketing and not substance, support a mile wide and a micron thick.

THIS. And the campaign obviously feels the same way, it's not like this was leaked out by accident. Most voters for the "others" only even make up there mind who to voe for a week prior to voting, so why would they be interested in a form of volunteer civil service for their "choice of the week".

The "I vote for someone only because they will replace Obama" isn't someone who is going work hard for their candidate.

Warmon
02-11-2012, 02:17 PM
As we know, the campaign is playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers. For them to put this out in the open like this, I'm thinking there must be an even bigger strategy behind it.

gerryb
02-11-2012, 02:22 PM
As we know, the campaign is playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers. For them to put this out in the open like this, I'm thinking there must be an even bigger strategy behind it.

To get each of us looking into and educated about our states rules.

SC for example.. who are the delegates? -- Yet to be decided by precinct/County/State conventions... We NEED to be involved in these. Deadlines are approaching(or have passed) for many states.

jsem
02-11-2012, 02:26 PM
This was never a secret anyway.

slamhead
02-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Well I just read in another thread that the dirty tricks are already starting. In a precinct where Paul had won they suspended the delegate selection. I will see if I can find it.

InTheoryTV
02-11-2012, 02:29 PM
It isn't a secret. We didn't invent the system, it has been there for years.

Stay focused and have fun!

~~ State Delegate for Colorado ~~

slamhead
02-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Well I just read in another thread that the dirty tricks are already starting. In a precinct where Paul had won they suspended the delegate selection. I will see if I can find it.

Refer to post #245

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?360074-From-The-Ground-in-Maine-Romney-s-Plan-Backfired/page25

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
02-11-2012, 02:33 PM

lol

OMG, if this is so, it would be a sampling of the party self destructing via their hate for Paul (Honesty and Goodness he represents).

I don't know what the fate of the crooked aspects of the GOP will be.

This movement is sure to grow and thrive.

Thats what we all have to remember when we see signs of the party further cracking under our pressure to make things right.

slamhead
02-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Refer to post #245

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?360074-From-The-Ground-in-Maine-Romney-s-Plan-Backfired/page25

Looks like Cumberland is the county to watch out for.

PatriotOne
02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
"RINOS RIOT!!" would be fun to read.

"Rino's Riot"! :D

libertythor
02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
There are calls from some pundits in the media to end the caucus system. Some states may actually waste taxpayer money on running primaries next time around in reaction to this.

I doubt that things will become more difficult in running delegates in future caucuses because the vast majority of voters are very indoctrinated with "democracy" and won't be motivated to participate any deeper than their simple vote for a candidate.

unknown
02-11-2012, 02:48 PM
This was my thought.

Does anyone beleive that Rachel Madcow was sincerely interested in the inner workings or politics or for the sake of edification?

She hates Ron Paul. She thinks hes a racist and she also believes that free market ideals are evil. This is an attempt to derail.

I only hope it works out in our favor.

mattdcw
02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
To get each of us looking into and educated about our states rules.

SC for example.. who are the delegates? -- Yet to be decided by precinct/County/State conventions... We NEED to be involved in these. Deadlines are approaching(or have passed) for many states.

South Carolina delegates are bound by the primary votes (at least on the first ballot). Doesn't matter who they are.

BongoBrian
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't know whats wrong with a simple... one person - one vote system across the country... the candidate with the most votes wins! Simples!

bbartlog
02-11-2012, 04:57 PM
South Carolina delegates are bound by the primary votes (at least on the first ballot). Doesn't matter who they are.

On the contrary, it's because we don't expect a winner on the first ballot that their identity matters a whole awful lot. Of course if someone secures a majority on the first vote you would be right, but we're certainly hoping that that doesn't happen, and with so many states awarding delegates proportionally it looks like the convention is likely to go to more than one round of voting.

bcreps85
02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't know whats wrong with a simple... one person - one vote system across the country... the candidate with the most votes wins! Simples!

Because that doesn't work in a society without free media. Since 98% of people vote for who the MSM tells them to, this would end our cause before it started. Delegates are supposed to be more informed and more responsible so that they can choose the best person for the job, even if the popular vote says otherwise...

Warmon
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM

The process has been made stupid by the two party system and we are republic, not a democracy.

ronpaulhemp
02-11-2012, 05:13 PM
wont the other candidates simply get their people to stick around now post voting and be awarded as delegates thus lowering Ron's numbers???

They would, but they don't have extremely adamant supporters like Ron Paul does.

Tod
02-11-2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/ronpaul/comments/pl3xm/help_we_couldnt_vote_for_our_delegate_chairman/

SaulPaulinsky
02-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't think it will work, and I don't know if it's in the best interest of the movement long term for it to work.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that while Paul is the man with the ideas, he's not the man to get elected. I'm not convinced that revolution of this scale can come through the ballot box anyway, especially the extent to which the game has been manipulated.