PDA

View Full Version : Bedford Patch Article on Sanford Caucus

SCOTUSman
02-11-2012, 11:05 AM
http://bedford-nh.patch.com/articles/ron-paul-supporters-out-in-force-for-maine-caucus

Article supposedly says results are coming out after 7:30pm EST. Don't know if that is a change or wrong info.

Ron Paul gets called isolationist:

UPDATE, 10:30 a.m.

Ralph Ginorio, a history teacher from Limington, Maine, was a surrogate for Rick Santorum and spoke to the crowd in favor of him.

At one point, Ginorio talked about how Santorum is the one candidate who says what he means and means what he says.

"That's Ron Paul!" someone in the crowd yelled.

In response, Ginorio said, "Ron Paul's isolationist policy invites a second Holocaust."

That drew several boos from the crowd.

Pretty energetic:

UPDATE, 9:45 a.m.

Mitt Romney earned a standing ovation after a short speech to the roughly 1,000 voters in attendance.

Romney focused on how he can challenge Obama, arguing he will stave off cuts to the military and support veterans.

Ron Paul supporters in the crowd broke out in several "Ron Paul!" chants during the speech that were counter with "Mitt!" chants by Romney supporters. One voice in the crowd railed against how money drives Romney's campaign.

New Hampshire Sen. Jim Forsythe, R-Strafford, spoke for Paul, who made a quick appearance here before taking off for other caucus locations.

The crowd's reaction to Forsythe's speech was slightly more energetic than for Romney.

Glad Forsythe is there for us...

PREVIOUS STORY, 9 a.m.

SANFORD, Maine – A well-organized group of Ron Paul supporters – including a border-jumping New Hampshire contingent – flooded Sanford High School this morning for today's Maine Caucus.

"Ron Paul! Ron Paul!" supporters chanted as Paul arrived here just past 8 a.m.

Scores of his campaign workers and volunteers had started work before 6 a.m., setting up signs outside the high school grounds.

"We're delighted with the reception," Paul said. "People have been saying, 'When are you going to win a state?' We hope it's today."

Boy...hope we still have a lot of Mainers there...people that can vote. They say our reaction to the speech was slightly more energetic for us than for Romney...but hopefully that was because of Mainers, not the New Hampshire people.

And it just isn't young people voting for us:

This morning, however, it was all Paul.

"His people are the most organized here," said caucus worker Helen Naylor.

Rita Bachand, 76, of Sanford, was here attending her first-ever caucus after nearly 20 years of living in Maine. She said Paul was the reason she decided to come out.

"I'm at an age where I hate wars," said Bachand, who identifies with Paul's anti-war stance, as well as his take on the economy.

http://bedford-nh.patch.com/articles/ron-paul-supporters-out-in-force-for-maine-caucus

RPit
02-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Damn 1000 voters in one location? that 1/5 of the vote roughly

pauliticalfan
02-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Rita Bachand, 76, of Sanford, was here attending her first-ever caucus after nearly 20 years of living in Maine. She said Paul was the reason she decided to come out.

"I'm at an age where I hate wars," said Bachand, who identifies with Paul's anti-war stance, as well as his take on the economy.

Amazing.

malkusm
02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
They were playing this live on CNN.com and I'd estimate that it was about 40% for Paul, 40% Romney, 15% Gingrich, 5% Santorum. As the previous poster said, hopefully there weren't a ton of New Hampshire folks there making all that noise; hopefully a vast majority of them were Mainers.

I'll say that Forsythe's speech was excellent, he touched on foreign policy by talking about his own experience as an Air Force pilot just after the Cold War, needlessly defending Saudi Arabia's no-fly zone.