PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Boston Tea Party, Reenactment

WeBeGood
11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Any Interest in expanding the Boston Tea Party into a Nation Wide Reenactment? Boston is planning a Freedom March and Tea Party, what about the rest of us, who can't make it to Boston?

Some random thoughts on it.

Modern day, not throwing tea, but throwing the soon to be worthless paper money overboard. Symbolically throwing the FED overboard, I would think it would be fun for everyone to actually take your cash donation and overboard it goes, into the water. Paper won't make a sound, but sound money makes a sound when it hits the water. Gold, Silver, Nickel, Copper, Steel, all the money that was coined will make a sound.

Like coins in a fountain, make a wish, it'll come true if your money is sound.

Or, no Taxation using Inflation?

Of course this would require a net in the water to keep the paper from floating off, wouldn't want to get a ticket for littering.

I really think it would be fun to throw my own worthless paper money overboard, at a location near me. Ellisa in Galveston, Ron Paul's District, might be a great Houston location, if the Ellisa organization would allow some fun'd raising on that day.

Just some thoughts, add to it. Criticism welcome. interested? Enough interested nationwide to make it worthwhile? To ambitious? Problems?

Menthol Patch
11-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Could we all bring books that include the IRS tax code and dump them into the water? We could have a net underneath them so we could pull them up afterwards (so we won't be littering).

WeBeGood
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
lol, we would have a mountain of paper real quick, and it would cost more to take to the dump than we would raise for Ron Paul's campaign. I say be do it at the Washington DC Tea Party location, into the Potomac River. That way General Washington could walk across the Potomac instead of using a boat.

Could we all bring books that include the IRS tax code and dump them into the water? We could have a net underneath them so we could pull them up afterwards (so we won't be littering).

FluxCapacitor
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
The best way to have a tea party in support of Ron Paul:

We stand around sipping tea from teacups and discussing philosophy, politics, and economics. Happy and relaxed.

FluxCapacitor
11-12-2007, 07:25 PM
That's why I voted "maybe" by the way.

I would not participate in something angry or frantic, like yelling or dumping something in the water.

My vision of a Ron Paul tea party is something peaceful, serene, and powerful.

Imagine a few thousand people drinking tea and enjoying each others' company. I would love to see the media coverage of that event.

WeBeGood
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi FluxCapacitor, you can edit your post at any time to add more, instead of adding two posts. I agree, that is why it is called "The Boston Tea Party", have fun, a party, no one will be angry, frantic, yelling when they throw money overboard into the water. Well, maybe some people will give a loud speech about what they think of inflation, but I wouldn't call it yelling. It is actually a hard thing to do, your throwing money away. But, because of inflation, each dollar bill is only worth 4 cents, so your throwing something away that will be trash soon anyway.

A Tea Sipping Party is a good idea for you and your group that like Tea Sipping, but here in Ron Paul's District, beer might be a better drink to have at the Party, or hot chocolate, it may be cold, and Dickens on the Strand might be in full swing, I'll have to check. Your Tea Sipping Party might be great for States that have caucuses, talk about things. But remember, after the Boston Tea Party, tea might have been scarce, it probably took six months to ship some more tea in. So, maybe, you should sip something other than tea, hot chocolate.

That's why I voted "maybe" by the way.

I would not participate in something angry or frantic, like yelling or dumping something in the water.

My vision of a Ron Paul tea party is something peaceful, serene, and powerful.

Imagine a few thousand people drinking tea and enjoying each others' company. I would love to see the media coverage of that event.

itsnobody
11-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Sounds good to me...it should be broadcasted live, it would make the day a lot better

work2win
11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I think this would be a distraction more than anything, and would be destined to get out of hand. Too much focus on re-enacting, not enough focus on Ron Paul and his message. As suggested in another thread, a better idea would be to have Ron Paul Rallies at public places and serve free tea. Just enough gimmick to get some attention, not enough to distract from the message. Plus you get to talk to the people who stop by for their free tea!

Flirple
11-13-2007, 01:57 AM
I think this would be a distraction more than anything, and would be destined to get out of hand. Too much focus on re-enacting, not enough focus on Ron Paul and his message. As suggested in another thread, a better idea would be to have Ron Paul Rallies at public places and serve free tea. Just enough gimmick to get some attention, not enough to distract from the message. Plus you get to talk to the people who stop by for their free tea!

I think I agree. I just feel like the reenactment approach is so cliche and dare I say a bit unimaginative. I think this day should have it's own identity which at the same time gives a tip of the hat to the original event. We are, after all, protesting something different than the colonists were. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone if they really wanted to do this but for me, getting carried away with symbolism undermines our own unique event which hopefully will earn it's own small spot in history.

I think we should just promote to the Meetup groups that they should plan on doing some sort of Meetup on the 16th to help get people to donate money (a rally, sign waving, handing out flyers, whatever). And whatever they decide would be best for their community, just make sure to have some hot tea there for the public.

I really like the idea of throwing Ron Paul educational tea parties for the public and send out/post party invitations to promote it starting now. At the parties, in addition to the free tea you could be showing videos or something. It will be in the middle of the shopping season so it shouldn't be hard to find a public spot with lots of foot traffic.

Whater peole decide to do, it's number one goal should be to raise $. So have a laptop there so people can donate.

jrich4rpaul
11-13-2007, 02:52 AM
rallies are one thing... but the effort, resources and money that would be used to do reenactments is just more wasted that we could give on the 16th

as much as i support events on the 15th, we really, really, really need to do whatever we can to make the 16th the all time record-setter. this is increasingly important now that other candidates like obama are going to try to copy us.

tremendoustie
11-13-2007, 02:59 AM

Now that's a good idea. I just think the reenactment idea could do more harm than good, and be distracting. It would easy to cast the participants as nuts. Now, free tea in public places with lots of lawnchairs and discussion -- perfect! Tea party connection, while still being tied into the campaign and impossible to spin negatively.

Hope
11-13-2007, 03:08 AM
No, because we don't want to hand the media an excuse to call us kooks.

Oh, and I'm a card carrying member of the SCA and LARP on a regular basis. I think that reenactment is awesome -- but we shouldn't associate it with Dr. Paul.

greves
11-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Call up Guinness and tell them you're planning to have the Most Simultaneous Tea Drinkers record shattered on Dec 16 ;)

LBT
11-13-2007, 05:11 AM
I tend to agree that staging many reenactments would be costly and time consuming and possibly with little effect. Of course if there are some drama groups involved in the campaign willing to put on a show then good luck to them.

I also think the stop for a tea and scone (or biscuit), with some flag waving in public places, in hundreds of cities around the nation is a great idea. I also like the idea of sending out invitations for a Boston Tea Party history evening, with an introduction to Ron Paul.

Invite families and their kids for a history lesson and some fine tea and snacks free.

Local media could be invited to report on all these events to expand the exposure.

Would Tea Parties in 1,000 cities be too much to aim for? It only takes a couple of people to run a stand. How about 1773 Tea Parties? Oh, maybe I'm being too ambitious :p

Of course, the goal of each of these tea parties is to promote fundraising on December 16th, not to distract from it.

tfelice
11-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Nice idea, but its symbolism over substance (to use an old Rush Limbaugh phrase). The time would be much better spent getting amongst the people and doing some good old fashioned retail politicking.

jrich4rpaul
11-13-2007, 06:47 AM
and, if the reenactment is on the 16th won't that keep people from donating if they're out all day?

equality7252117@yahoo.com
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
We need to be savvy to the press to turn our donated time and money into press coverage that is worth ten times the cost of staging the events.
The whole reinactement thing maybe obvious and overdone but it PERFECTLY meshes with the sprit and message of what we are doing. We need to stage a Boston Tea Party event to give the press some bright shiny pictures to show while they are reporting the millions of dollars that are flooding into Ron Paul's coffers.

I've been promoting a massive Ron Paul Balloon drop on Dec. 16 in Boston Harbor. We could print up millions of RP balloons and dump them into the water. (BIODEGRADABLE, of course).

Some were conserned about the little fishies, so how about attaching helium filled balloons to a ship in the harbor and stage a take over of the ship like the original tea party and while some people throw boxes of worthless (and more environmentally friendly) FED notes into the water the Balloons are released into the air!

The press would just eat this up!!!