PDA

View Full Version : Letters to the Editors campaign

Voice
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
(Moderators, can I have your blessing and a sub-forum?)
(Moderators, your input on what areas would be most helped would be great)

Fellow Paulites, I have decided to initiate a campaign to write letters to the editors of 1000 local newspapers. I need volunteers. Here’s the plan:

A "commitment" means an agreement to do that number of an item. For example, someone could say "I will write five letters and copy edit ten" That would constitute 5 and 10 commitments respectively.

I need 1200 commitments for Researchers/Senders. These people will send in, for their area:
2 statistics (for example 80% of the people of this town are very religious, and 60% of us own cats);
2 items of local interest (for example, the library just closed for lack of funds, and property values have been dropping);
And one recent news story that made the front page in only that area (for example, New bypass construction runs into delays)
Researchers, more information is better, but we need at least these five things.

They will also receive a completed letter to the editor of their local paper, sign it, and mail it in (e-mail if they accept it). Sender pays for the stamp.

I need 230 commitments for Verifiers. These people will be looking up and verifying some of the facts from Researchers, so we don't get any bad data in the mix.

I need 1200 commitments from Writers. These people will receive five facts about an area and write a unique two to five paragraph letter to the editor of that area, giving it a local flavor.

I need 1200 commitments for Copy editors. These people will check completed letters for grammar and spelling only, and reject any obviously bad/misinformed/deceptive letters.

I need 1200 commitments for Editors. These people will give the letters a final polish, checking that it all looks good and is as publishable as possible.

The work flow will be:

Researcher-->Verifier-->Writer-->Copy Editor-->Editor-->Sender

This will constitute many man-hours of effort, but it is well worth it to have 1000 well-written letters sent locally from volunteers. I will be filling in wherever there is need.

Armature journalists, aspiring writers, students of English, cantankerous old editors, word artists, writers of slogans, and every manner of Paulite YOU ARE CALLED to your duty.

for Freedom!