PDA

View Full Version : So great yet so small?

solrac
11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I love it. $4.2 million in one day. I contributed $100 on Nov 5th. (As well as $100 prior, and I plan to do so again on Dec. 16th.)

But here's the part that confuses me. The $4.2 million was raised by around 30,000 supporters, all the stories seem to say.

That's like, nothing. I mean it is great, but isn't 30,000 absolutely zilch? I mean, how many households in America have the internet? 50 million? (I'm not sure but if must be up there.)

If 1% of the internet (say at 50 million online) supported Ron Paul, that would be 500,000 supporters. I'm sure a lot more than 1% support Ron Paul. Almost ALL of Ron Paul's support stems from the Internet.

So why were there only 30,000 donors on Nov 5th? I can't believe I was among such a small group, and it is an honor. I am POSITIVE ABOUT IT.

BUT --- Well I mean Dane Cook gets almost that many people in JUST ONE of his sort of funny very ridiculous concerts.

Ron Paul must have way more support online than Dane Cook did with his 1 million myspace friends.

Why aren't there like... 500,000 donors? Why isn't Ron Paul raising like 10, 20, 30 million dollars in money bomb days?

To me, a group of 30,000 donors is just not enough to change America. America has a population of about 300 MILLION PEOPLE. 30,000 donors is 1 tenth of 1 percent of the population.

Why don't more celebrities care, or do anything? Or corporate sponsors? Why doesn't Google just put a ron paul banner on their home page? Why doesn't some big rock star drop lots of hints, or get photographed wearing a Ron Paul t-shirt?

If 75% of americans (or whatever the stat is) are displeased with George Bush / Iraq, why are only 0.01% of them supporting Ron Paul? I understand the media does not mention his name, but SO MANY PEOPLE have the Internet!

Why doesn't Jim Rogers (multi billionaire, supports Ron Paul) just on a whim put up a 2000 x 1000 square foot Ron Paul banner up on some huge building in LA or New York, like they do for movie advertisements or Fashion ads?

Thanks for any insight!

J4ck
11-12-2007, 06:19 PM
31% of the american people didn't know on which day 9/11 happened.
+Very few people actually donate to a political campaign.

grapplerkepp
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
If 75% of americans (or whatever the stat is) are displeased with George Bush / Iraq, why are only 0.01% of them supporting Ron Paul? I understand the media does not mention his name, but SO MANY PEOPLE have the Internet!

Most of those anti war Americans are looking to the democrats for a candidate I think.Most people I know that hate Bush and are anti war cringe when I say Ron Paul is a Republican."No way not another Republican from Texas!"Of coarse after I'm done with them they become a Paulite!

I know he has said he wouldn't,but I think as a 3rd party candidate he would win by landslide.

LaPaulite
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I thought the 30,000 was just the NEW people who donated that day?

Goldwater Conservative
11-12-2007, 06:27 PM
The number is actually closer to 40,000. And only some 240,000 saw the This November 5th website (not even sure those are unique views). This was a coordinated one-day event done on relatively little notice outside of an already marginalized and largely unknown campaign.

Everything in perspective. :)

john_anderson_ii
11-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I thought the 30,000 was just the NEW people who donated that day?

It was 17,000 (give or take) new supporters, and like 35,000 supporters total.

I think you are on to something, and it has to do with promotion. We have no way of knowing how many Ron Paul leaning internet users were even exposed to the Nov 5th idea in the first place. It's a numbers game. Not everyone is paying attention daily like we do. Not everyone will donate to a political campaign. The way I see it, for every 1 that donated there were 10 who heard about it and went, "That's a great idea." and then forgot about it. For those 10, there were likely a thousand who didn't hear about it all.

Pop open you address book and start firing off emails. Ask for a response so you know they got and won't be bothered by follow ups.

Man from La Mancha
11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
TeaParty07.com PR is the most important thing to achieve, it will automatically bring on Ron Paul supporters.

solrac
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
The way I see it, for every 1 that donated there were 10 who heard about it and went, "That's a great idea." and then forgot about it. For those 10, there were likely a thousand who didn't hear about it all.

Pop open you address book and start firing off emails.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention. I did this months ago.

I emailed 643 people. Of those people, 1 was a new Paulite thanks to my email, and actually donated to the campaign. 3 or 4 were already in the know. The rest I did not hear back from on the matter.

SO.. to say I got 1 out of 643 is about DOUBLE the success I theorized on above.

And a total of almost 6 that were already for Ron Paul is almost a 1% penetration. And that's just off one email sent at random.

But yeah, there needs to be a lot more promotion. A lot more people to wake up and see how fucked up, sickening, twisted, and scary this country is right now.

30,000 people who see this and care enough to give an average of $103 is just not enough!!

I hope teaparty07 achieves TENFOLD the success!

Jordan
11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
TeaParty07 will be golden. $10 Million dollar day that gives us so much publicity when people are off work. December 16th will make this campaign.

hellah10
11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
alot of people dont have $100 to donate... alot of folks living paycheck to paycheck

AlexMerced
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
the point is to get drive those subscription and unique views up, don't worry about why people who don't donate don't, we need to get the site view by everyone and anyone, cause even someone who won't donate can spread the word.

westmich4paul
11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
alot of people dont have $100 to donate... alot of folks living paycheck to paycheck
Thats exactly right and thats why i always email all our meetup group and tell them you do not have to donate 100.00. Donate 10-20-25 ect . Since we cannot be bought we must buy ourselves. Cut a little back each week. One less trip to Mickey d's, Stave off the temptation for the 12 pack and the pack of smokes, little things are easy to cut and they mean alot to the cause. Just do what you can. This year for my birthday I am asking all my family to donate whatever they would put in my card+the cost of the card into the tea party and the same goes with x-mas because watching Dr. Paul take the oath of the oval office is all I need for x-mas!

AlexMerced
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
The point is to give

kalami
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
You're thinking about this wrong. If you want to make sense of the significance of his numbers then compare them to other candidates. These numbers are from Quarter 2 but they should put things into perspective:
Guilani raised 17m with 56k donors (23k new)
McCain raised 11m with 70k donors
Romney raised 14m with 80k donors (50 new)
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/7/3/195121.shtml

Q4 Paul has 8m with 85k donors and the quarter isn't even over yet. Doesn't seem small to me.