PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand the importance on becoming a delegate.

babuka
02-10-2012, 10:40 AM
(Long time reader, first time poster.)

I got an email about becoming a delegate in my state, Georgia, by the Ron Paul campaign. I am thinking about following through with it, but I need some more information. First, help me to understand why this is important and what difference I can make as a Ron Paul supporter versus a supporter of another candidate. I thought delegates couldn't act independently and had to follow whatever the voters tell them too. I have tried reading online, but I don't quite understand it yet. Thanks for the help.

ventron
02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
If you are bound, then you cant act independently AT FIRST.
But... if we have a brokered convention, there is a chance all delegates could be "released", at which point they can act independently. This will allow you to vote for Ron Paul.

wgadget
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Here's a pretty good article about what a BROKERED CONVENTION is...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/republican-race-thrown-into-chaos-again-2012-02-09

This article says most likely there will be "deals" made between the candidates ahead of time..Interesting.

babuka
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
If you are bound, then you cant act independently AT FIRST.
But... if we have a brokered convention, there is a chance all delegates could be "released", at which point they can act independently. This will allow you to vote for Ron Paul.

I was assuming that it had to do with a brokered convention but couldn't verify it. How would they choose whether to "release" the delegates?

ventron
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I was assuming that it had to do with a brokered convention but couldn't verify it. How would they choose whether to "release" the delegates?

I think it typically happens if the candidates don't strike any deals with each other, so everybody remains under 50%.

Travlyr
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I became a delegate by signing up on this website and following through by going to the caucus nominating myself and winning the support of all but one precinct voter. I took my girlfriend along so that I would get at least one vote and she became a delegate too without even wanting it. All three precinct delegates from my precinct were wearing Ron Paul stickers.

Become a DELEGATE for Ron Paul (http://www.ronpaul2012.com/Delegate/)

So simple and very powerful.

babuka
02-10-2012, 10:56 AM
What happens at the county convention?
What happens at the state convention that don't happen at the county?
How do they determine what delegates go to the state and national conventions?

wgadget
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The higher-ups ALWAYS go to the convention...Hopefully, there are a lot of RP higher-ups this time around. Basically, if you're a state representative, county chairman, etc, you go to national. It takes $$$, too.

gerryb
02-10-2012, 11:04 AM

At each stage the party has different business it performs, setting the platform, making nominations for party positions etc. and the participants(delegates) at each stage vote on who continues on to the next stage, culminating in selecting who will be the States delegates to the RNC in FL.

You don't have to participate past the precinct meeting if you don't want to.. but you should! But the precinct meeting is the most important, this election it is even more important than participating in the primary/straw vote, to vote other RP folks on to the county conventions, etc..

This grassroots site has a lot of info for GA
http://ga4ronpaul.com/Delegate.aspx

Travlyr
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
This is my first time as a precinct delegate so I am learning as I go. My understanding is that we'll go to the county assembly in March to elect county delegates. In April the county delegates meet to elect State delegates. In August the State delegates meet to elect the nominee.

So nobody will know who won our State until April at the earliest. The Media liars are telling everybody that Santorum won but he didn't win anything other than a beauty contest.

gerryb
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Also, this is not necessary for participating, but it is good to be familiar with how the meeting will be conducted.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?359589-A-delegates-Must-Learn-Robert-s-Rules-of-Order

hueylong
02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Jeez. They vote. That's how they go from county to district to state to national. They vote.

Elwar
02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Think of it from the end game backward.

The end goal is Ron Paul becoming president.

Who votes for Ron Paul to be president?

Electoral voters. You need to become an electoral voter.

How is Ron Paul on the ballot in the general election? He is elected at the national Republican convention.

Who votes to make Ron Paul the Republican candidate?

National Republican Party voters. You need to be one of these.

Who votes for the National Republican Party voters...AND Electoral voters?

State Republican delegates. You need to be one of these.

Who votes for the State Republican delegates?

County Republican delegates. You need to be one of these.

Who votes for county delegates?

Precinct delegates. You need to be one of these.