PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary Tale: University of Minnesota Caucus Results & Lack of GOTV

AdamL
02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
These caucuses were held on campus at the University of Minnesota, which has about 51,000 students enrolled. Students living in the dorms could have easily walked there.

We did terrible at the University of Minnesota, and big dorms are right across the street from the polling place.

Ward 2 - P 4 - 4 dorms in that precinct. 5 Ron Paul votes.
Ward 2 - P11 - another 4 dorms. 28 Ron Paul votes.

8 dorms, 2 precincts, 33 Ron Paul votes.

That is absolutely abysmal. It's clear that there wasn't any real GOTV effort there at all. We need to change this. College students are supposed to be one of our strengths and we're not taking advantage of it.

I think physically getting these voters to the caucus sites should be a top priority for the grassroots. We can't let this happen again in Maine and Washington...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358970-Renting-buses-to-get-college-students-to-caucuses-in-MN
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?359287-Coordinate-GOTV.-Bus-college-kids-to-polls-in-WA-and-MI

RonPaul101.com
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
These areas need meetup's right before the vote (by right before, I mean earlier that same day, if possible immediately before the vote). At the meetup's offer free food (pizza?) and keep it casual just discussing where to go to vote and what to do. i think the more important issue is the timing of the meeting - it must be RIGHT before the vote. any and all Ron Paul/Liberty meetup's that have a lot of young voters/college voters in their group need a really good, catered (free food) meetup with easy to understand info on Dr Paul and where and when to vote, right before the vote.

gerryb
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Yep, according to YouthforRonPaul.com there were 33 members registered with the group. Amazing that we didn't exceed that # of votes.

The campaign should have been running training sessions on how to organize campuses, like Leadership Institutes 3 day "Youth Leadership School", and providing material/resources so these campuses could organize.

silverhandorder
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
You guys must understand labs an classes can't always be excused. Students have to worry about their academics too.

Maximus
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
You guys must understand labs an classes can't always be excused. Students have to worry about their academics too.

Not to the extent that these numbers show. Unless UM has a weird class schedule. Most dorm kids don't take 7pm classes... those tend to be older students (not in dorms) that have jobs.

enrique
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I doubt many of these students registered to vote on campus. I know I never did. I always voted absentee. I realize this was a campus but there is probably a much smaller pool of voters than you recognize. I voted in my home town.

musicmax
02-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Maybe we should have identified a billionaire professor to host a private caucus for students who couldn't attend the regular caucus due to their relig^h^h^h^h^hacademic obligations.

libertybrewcity
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Ron Paul is popular among college students, but there aren't thousands of Ron Paul supporters at every school. There are generally a handful that may be quite active. There are even more that like Ron Paul but aren't on the forums or dying to vote for him. These tend to be registered democrats who like him on the war issue and drugs. That doesn't mean they'll caucus for him. We probably could have gotten more votes, but I don't think every dorm is filled with tons and tons of RP supporters waiting to caucus.