PDA

View Full Version : Passing out Flyers Today! Need some advice please.

millercards
02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm getting ready to flood my county with flyers the next few days. Since there are others here that have done this, I was looking for the following input. Thanks for your help.

1. I've read that leaving a flyer in someone's door/ door handle is OK, is this true?
2. Can I pass out flyers at a public place? (malls, wal-marts, events?)
3. Can I legally put flyers in people's windshield wipers in parking lots?
4. Any strategic advice?

Answering the preceding questions will help me greatly. If you'd like to take a step further and critique the flyer I'm passing around, please do.

The flyer is made into two columns. The title is a bold header across the top. The last paragraph and closing information is put into a footer at the bottom. Each subheading is a little bit larger and bold text.

Presidential Candidate Ron Paul Can Save America

Ron Paul is For the People

There is a reason Ron Paul supporters are more passionate than any other candidate’s supporters, we honestly trust him! Ron Paul abhors lobbyists, meaning that you cannot buy him like other politicians. He sticks to the constitution despite others’ willingness to side with the money.

Ron Paul is the only candidate who has served in the military. As a doctor, he has delivered over 4,000 babies. Paul is happily married for over 55 years with 5 children and 17 grandchildren. He has been sticking up for Civil Rights for over 30 years.

Rescue Our Economy

Ron Paul plans to cut $1 trillion dollars from government spending in his first year in office, and Paul’s budget plan will balance the budget in 3 years without touching social security, medicare or veterans benefits.

In his time in Congress, Ron Paul has warned us many times that government involvement leads to inflation in many aspects of our economy. After correctly predicting the housing collapse, Paul is now telling us that unless we do something about our ever-increasing debt, we will default to China and have a major collapse. This time, we would be smart to listen to him.

Bring Our Troops Home

We have over 9000 military bases in over 130 countries! Currently there are over 57,000 troops stationed in Germany and over 35,000 troops in Japan. Our troops protect these countries, allowing them to save money on military, while our government and our troops spend money in those countries and boost their economies.

Presidential candidate Ron Paul wants to bring those troops home and boost our national defense. An ideal foreign policy in Paul’s eyes is one that reflects our Founding Fathers’ views. “Commerce to all nations, alliance with none” - Thomas Jefferson.

End the War on Drugs

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners. The over 2.4 million Americans in jail is about equal to the entire population of Nevada. Well over a million of these Americans are non-violent offenders and victims of the failed War on Drugs. America spends more than $50 billion annually on government-run correction programs. In the last 20 years, state spending on prisons has grown at six times the rate of spending on higher education. And one in 31 Americans is under some form of corrections control.

The prohibition of alcohol promoted gang and mob violence as it gave power to the black market. We learned from this adventure that prohibition does not work. Money saved from ending the War on Drugs and shrinking our non-violent prison population will boost America’s economy.

Fix Health Care

Dr. Ron Paul spent his entire career in the medical profession working to uphold principle by ensuring his patients received the best care he could give them, even if they could not afford it.

In office, Ron Paul will guarantee that what is taken from taxpayers to pay for Medicare and Medicaid is not raided for other purposes.

Faith and Ron Paul

Ron Paul’s faith is a deeply private issue to him, and he doesn’t speak on it in great detail during his speeches because he wants to avoid any appearance of exploiting it for political gain.
“I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, and I endeavor every day to follow Him in all I do and in every position I advocate.
It is God Who gave us life. As He is free, so are those He created in His image. Our rights to life and liberty are inalienable.” - Ron Paul

Time is short. To vote in the Kansas Caucus, you must register Republican by February 17th. The Kansas Caucus is on March 10th. We will hold our first Wyandotte County for Ron Paul meeting Sunday, Feb 12th at 7pm at Wyandotte BBQ on State Avenue. Please join us if you have questions concerning Ron Paul or are interested in supporting him.. Like everyone else, we are also on Facebook. Thanks for your time,
- Wyandotte County For Ron Paul
WYCO4RonPaul@Gmail.com

millercards
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Also... the War on Drugs block is directed at my close neighborhood as it is very Marijuana-friendly.

For the more conservative parts of the county, and for elderly folks.... I replaced the Warn on Drugs block with this:

Free Market Energy

The free market – not government – is the solution to America’s energy needs. Unfortunately, decades of misguided federal action have helped lead to skyrocketing fuel prices, making it even more difficult for hardworking families to make ends meet.

Washington’s bureaucratic regulations, corporate subsidies, and excessive taxation have distorted the market and resulted in government bureaucrats picking winners and losers.

As long as we allow federal regulations and bureaucratic red tape to get in the way of energy exploration, our country will never solve its energy crisis, and Americans will continue to pay the price in high costs

JimInNY
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I really like the flyer. It keeps everything simple.

I'm not sure about some of your questions.

I had good experience just handing out flyers on the street though. It gave people a chance to ask questions and for me to answer them.

JimInNY
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing. I think it is actually 900 bases, not 9000.

millercards
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I think it is actually 900 bases, not 9000.

Also thanks for the fact check. I knew this, but didn't catch it until now. It's corrected.

Seek_Truth
02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
You can leave flyers on someones door if there is not some city ordenance agianst it.
"Can I pass out flyers at a public place? (malls, wal-marts, events?)" though they might be places the public goes they are
still private property. You can ask the owners permission or just passout till they ask you to leave. I would suggest asking.
Ig there is a public sidewalk near the private property you can pass out flyers there but do not block the sidewalk or you could get
a ticket or be arrested. A friend of mine made a flyer to its in my signature.

millercards
02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
You can leave flyers on someones door if there is not some city ordenance agianst it.
"Can I pass out flyers at a public place? (malls, wal-marts, events?)" though they might be places the public goes they are
still private property. You can ask the owners permission or just passout till they ask you to leave. I would suggest asking.
Ig there is a public sidewalk near the private property you can pass out flyers there but do not block the sidewalk or you could get
a ticket or be arrested. We made a flyer to its in my signature.

Nice... I may try to use some of that. I've been trying to explain this much to my Dad, he's a strong christian.

The problem with asking.... there is only 1 main shopping area with foot traffic in the county. It does have a lot of options... target, walmart, outdoor shopping mall, dozens of sit down resteraunts, movie theatre, etc etc....

If I get turned down, it shortens my ability to find people.

Will I just be asked to leave or is there a possibility that they'll get the police involved?

DonovanJames
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Disclaimer: Personal Opinion Tips

When someone answers the door, their first inclination is to be suspicious and untrusting and think you are trying to sell them something. It's at that moment that you say hello and hand the flyer towards them and stay silent. 9/10 the person will feel uncomfortable in the silence and use the flyer to seek refuge from eye contact and begin to read some of the points. This is better than asking them if they would like the flier and giving them an option to say, No.

After they take the flyer you have to:

1. Identify if they are a potential voter (Ask if they planned on voting in the GOP caucus/primary this year or the general election)
2. Identify who, if any, their prefered candidate and second choice is (If Paul is either, you're money)
3. Talk about the issues they are concerned with (Example with an economy issue flyer: "National polls are showing that a majority of American's are concerned with the state of the Economy, this is one, if not the most important, issue that Ron Paul is focusing during his campaign. Is there anything more about Ron Paul that you are needing to know before making an informed decission this election year?"
>Pro tip: First Move Disadvantage - By allowing the person to initiate the first move, you already can plan yours based on the assessment of what they have done. This relates to our situation in canvassing by allowing the potential voter to let you know what issue or issues they are focusing on BEFORE you start preaching Paulitics.
4. If it is something you are well rehearsed, attempt to explain confidently his position. If not, say you don't know and tell them that you will get that information as soon as possible. Keep a clipboard and spreadsheet to take down their address and the information that they want. Follow up and it will show that you are committed to their vote and they will naturally feel committed to you.
5. If you are leaving flyers in mailboxes or door handles, carry a pack of post-its and a blue sharpie. Write "Hand-Delivered By <Name> and a phone#" (if you are comfortable with it) that they can reach you if they have questions. While it is obvious that it was hand delivered, it conveys a little more meaning to what others my immediately assume is "junk mail" the color Blue is calming and promotes an analytical (unbiased) approach at what you are looking at as apposed to a more emotionally color such as Red.

Optional (Works for me): I think about how embarrassing it would be to rip a loud fart as they answer the door and this usually takes me out of a state of anxiety and puts a genuine smile on my face as they actually answer the door. May not work for most :)

Seek_Truth
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I believe they have to ask you to leave first. That is usally SOP anyways. If you refuse to leave or stop (whichever they request) then you can get arrested.
Just be extremely polite with everyone and you should be ok.

Also you might put some quotes from founders in your bullets of the flyer. Here are some good ones.

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/founding.html#nw (http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/founding.html#nw)

Like :
"And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." ~ Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, Monticello, 28 May 1816. Ford 11:533

millercards
02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Both of you, thanks!

I will be thinking about a large fart at the first door I go to.

cindy25
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
1) don't ask permission, the manager will always say no to be safe; wait until told to leave
2) don't place on windshields, some idiots will accuse you of breaking the wipers
3) if passing out door to door avoid the mail box (anything else is ok, such as milk box, newspaper box, etc)
4) if no one is home write a note "sorry I missed you, and your first name" (or a first name)

millercards
02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks cindy25.

I just hit up about 50-75 houses before I had to get my son from school. I'll be doing more tonight.

The best part of the day was at the UPS Store getting the copies made. The guy looked at the sheet and told me his son would love this. He took down my name,number and email to give to his 18 year old son who has become a Ron Paul fanatic.

doctorfunk
02-09-2012, 04:22 PM
You may also consider trying to get another person to go with you. Make sure you're polite and don't be confrontational. Try to answer questions directly and ask questions.

"I don't like Ron Paul's foreign policy."
"Who's foreign policy do you like?"
"Gingrich or Santorum."
"Do you think we can afford it?"
etc

Make people question their own stances instead of telling them why they're wrong and you're right. I think RP's stances are the best and most common sense for most Americans, so help them come to that conclusion instead of debating them.

Roxi
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Couple points from my opinion/experience

Don't ask just wait for them to ask you to leave and then be very polite.

Don't put anything on cars, this will put you at risk and make it more likely that you are asked to leave

putting them in screen doors is fine, don't touch the mailbox

Other places you can put them

Inside free newspapers in machines
ask business owners if there is a public bulletin board
many laundrymats have public bulletin boards
Inside political type books and magazines inside walmart, bookstores, library etc
on the table at doctors offices
sometimes gas stations, restaurants will let you leave them on the counter

eleganz
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
bump keep it up!