PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the CPAC straw poll

rdhall
02-09-2012, 09:16 AM
CPAC Straw Poll Changes Hurt Ron Paul's Hat-Trick Chances
Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- The organizers of a major conservative conference here over the next three days are trying to widen participation in a straw poll, a not-too-subtle attempt to give a Republican presidential candidate other than Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) a chance to win.

For the past two years, Paul has won, by large margins, a straw poll of attendees at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference. The results have been something of an embarrassment for CPAC, organized by the American Conservative Union, which comes from a more traditional conservative point of view than Paul's libertarian-tinged version.

This year, the American Conservative Union and CPAC are moving from paper ballots to electronic voting that will be accessible from a computer or a handheld device, said Al Cardenas, the conservative union's current president. He told The Huffington Post that he hopes this will increase the number of attendees who participate in the straw poll.

Continue reading on site -> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/cpac-ron-paul-_n_1264500.html

READ THIS STORY AND MORE RON PAUL NEWS ON OUR BLOG
http://www.ronpaulusa.blogspot.com

wgadget
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
So how do we access that electronic voting? ;)

Bruno
02-09-2012, 09:20 AM
yeah, because Ron Paul supporters never win when the poll is accessible online! :rolleyes: Lol!

This probably would have helped even more in the past when RP supporters were shut out of the vote because they didn't arrive early enough to get in (if I'm not confusing my straw polls).

Wickwire
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Thank you, establishment Republicans, for stepping into our wheelhouse.

Tinnuhana
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
How many people are going this year? I think many who went last time are doing election stuff/donations/etc. instead. At least, if Ron doesn't win this year, we can blame it on this overt attempt to marginalize him. And CPAC will give the other three guys a good chance to stick their feet in their mouths during speeches. Anyone here going?

ProBlue33
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Now if we lose online voting you know it's fraud because we always win those, too obvious.

BrittanySligar
02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
This is still bad. We had like 80% voter turnout anyway. This will just make it 90-100%, but will increase neocon voter turnout substantially.

I can't stand the fact that people are taking CPAC so lightly. WE NEED TO BE THERE even MORE now than when Ron was attending.

jasonxe
02-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Obvious fraud going to take place is obvious. No paper trail = ftw.

rp08orbust
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Unless you have to connect to a specific wireless LAN to vote rather than via WAN, this would seem to imply that anyone can vote who pays for registration, whether they attend or not. Heck, I might be able to participate in the CPAC straw poll for the first time from Australia!

Nirvikalpa
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Why does everything have to be a conspiracy here?

VVS was electronic voting. We won.

Conspiracy!

Elwar
02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Figured it out.

This time around you will be able to vote via iPhone.

Most likely you can vote merely based upon the phone number you signed up with.

Thousands of Mitt supporters are signed up for CPAC all across the country.

Thousands of Mitt supporters text in their vote from the comfort of their nursing homes.

Mitt Romney wins.

rp08orbust
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Thousands of Mitt supporters text in their vote from the comfort of their nursing homes.

Ageist!

Elwar
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Ageist!

Ok...ok...from the comfort of their temple, sitting in their magic underwear.

02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Who cares? It's a straw poll. Real elections are taking place.

PauliticsPolitics
02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I was slightly under the impression that there might be two different straw polls. One only available to CPAC members, and one available to the whole country.
I get this impression from the AGENDA (http://cpac2012.conservative.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Schedule-Of-Events_Latest.pdf) which states this for the results announcement:

4:15 CPAC/Washington Times Presidential Straw Poll & National Poll Results – Marriott Ballroom
Since it says "Straw Poll & National Poll Results" it certainly seems like there are two polls going on.

Is anyone there who can figure it this out?
If there are two polls, seems like we have to win both...

TC95
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
This year, the American Conservative Union and CPAC are moving from paper ballots to electronic voting that will be accessible from a computer or a handheld device, said Al Cardenas, the conservative union's current president.

Oh, I see. Easier to hack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVTXbARGXso).

trey4sports
02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
meh, whatever.

LiveForHonortune
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Figured it out.

This time around you will be able to vote via iPhone.

Most likely you can vote merely based upon the phone number you signed up with.

Thousands of Mitt supporters are signed up for CPAC all across the country.

Mitt Romney wins.

Retired old people? iPhones? You almost had me there!

ZanZibar
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Remember, Ron turned down the invitation to goto CPAC because he wanted to instead keep campaigning hard. Rand will be there. But no there is no effort to win the straw poll.

Elwar
02-09-2012, 10:02 AM
In 2011 there was a link for the App...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cpac/id415695965?mt=8

Any link for 2012?

IDefendThePlatform
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Is there a CPAC 2012 iphone app like there was last year? I just searched the app store and couldn't find one. They've had them the last 2 years though and we could vote in the online poll.

Edit: ^^^Elwar beat me to it. Still looking.

Wolfgang Bohringer
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Obvious fraud going to take place is obvious. No paper trail = ftw.

Every paper ballot they take away is a nail in our coffin.

This should serve as a reminder NOT to jump on the band-wagon condemning the highly inaccessible and slowly hand counted caucus system.

Here in Nevada there are all sorts of local talk radio hosts, newspaper people, etc. clamoring to abolish the caucus system and give us the completely un-auditable machines.

In Nevada it took us 2 days to do it, but its been pretty well audited and proven that there was no fraud--a lot of incompetence and mistakes but no cheating. This should be held up as something to emulate and restore elsewhere instead. It would be much more worthwhile if Bev Harris or another anti-vote-fraud expert were to mysteriously pop up in Rand Paul or whoever's CPAC speaking spot and explain the importance of paper hand-counted ballots to all those bible-thumping hypocrites.

BUSHLIED
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
The biggest problem is that they are equating a Ron Paul win, as a lose for conservatisim. Ron Paul is the most conservative member of Congress WTF? CPAC is mostly full of young sheep being led to a slaughter anyway...

blazeKing
02-09-2012, 10:33 AM
The biggest problem is that they are equating a Ron Paul win, as a lose for conservatisim. Ron Paul is the most conservative member of Congress WTF? CPAC is mostly full of young sheep being led to a slaughter anyway...

Isn't it ridiculous? 'Ron Paul isn't conservative enough because he doesn't want to invade other nations and use the government to force morality on others'.

tommyzDad
02-09-2012, 10:35 AM
.....which comes from a more traditional conservative point of view than Paul's libertarian-tinged version.

I think they got that part bass-ackwards.

ONUV
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
maybe we should focus on winning real polls instead of straw polls.

sailingaway
02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Jesse when asked didn't even know if Ron was on the ballot. We would love it to win, but we aren't organizing it, and since Ron isn't speaking, I doubt it will happen. They don't have to change any rules for that.

sailingaway
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
This is still bad. We had like 80% voter turnout anyway. This will just make it 90-100%, but will increase neocon voter turnout substantially.

I can't stand the fact that people are taking CPAC so lightly. WE NEED TO BE THERE even MORE now than when Ron was attending.

It isn't on our list. I personally don't want to give them money, the way they treat Ron, any how.

wgadget
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
The news on the ground is that there is not a whole lot of passion at CPAC this year. (Duh...I wonder why?)