PDA

View Full Version : The Zuckerberg Tax

DamianTV
02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/02/08/2310218/the-zuckerberg-tax

"David S. Miller writes that when Facebook goes public later this year, Mark Zuckerberg plans to exercise stock options worth $5 billion of the $28 billion that his ownership stake will be worth and since the $5 billion he will receive will be treated as salary, Zuckerberg will have a tax bill of more than $2 billion making him, quite possibly, the largest taxpayer in history. But how much income tax will Zuckerberg pay on the rest of his stock that he won't immediately sell? Nothing, nada, zilch. He can simply use his stock as collateral to borrow against his tremendous wealth and avoid all tax. That's what Lawrence J. Ellison, the chief executive of Oracle, did, reportedly borrowing more than a billion dollars against his Oracle shares to buy one of the most expensive yachts in the world. Or consider the case of Steven P. Jobs who never sold a single share of Apple after he rejoined the company in 1997, and therefore never paying a penny of tax on the over $2 billion of Apple stock he held at his death. Now Jobs' widow can sell those shares without paying any income tax on the appreciation before his death — only on the increase in value from the time of his death to the time of the sale — because our tax system is based on the concept of "realization." Individuals are not taxed until they actually sell property and realize their gains and the solution to the problem is called mark-to-market taxation. According to Miller, mark-to-market would only affect individuals who were undeniably, extraordinarily rich, only publicly traded stock would be marked to market, and a mark-to-market system of taxation on the top one-tenth of 1 percent would raise hundreds of billions of dollars of new revenue over the next 10 years."

tttppp
02-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't have a problem with this. Should Zuckerberg be forced to sell much of his stock and potentially lose controlling ownership just to pay some stupid tax?

ghengis86
02-08-2012, 08:37 PM
good for him. if only us proles could avoid taxes like that.

(yes, i know he's paying $2 billion)

onlyrp
02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/02/08/2310218/the-zuckerberg-tax

Stock is not real property, so why should it be taxed before it's sold, it's not as if he can use it as collateral for a loan, or make any monetary use of it until he liquidates it.

onlyrp
02-08-2012, 08:50 PM
good for him. if only us proles could avoid taxes like that.

(yes, i know he's paying $2 billion)

it's fully legal and you have no benefits monetarily by keeping the stock, you keep the stock because you expect appreciation, so when you DO sell, you pay more taxes, if you never sell, you never get to use it as capital, so you are not taxed.

Keith and stuff
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Of course stock isn't taxed before it is sold. Does any pro-liberty person think it should be? I've certainly never met anyone that called for that.

onlyrp
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Of course stock isn't taxed before it is sold. Does any pro-liberty person think it should be? I've certainly never met anyone that called for that.

forget liberty person, does ANYBODY think it should?

angelatc
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Zuckerberg will have a tax bill of more than $2 billion making him, quite possibly, the largest taxpayer in history.

But that's not enough, either?

MikeStanart
02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
He shouldn't have to pay a penny. Neither should any of us.

However, he and his corporation should neither receive any benefits from the state.

Lishy
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Good. Free enterprise. Good job Zuckerberg!

kpitcher
02-10-2012, 04:29 AM
I've decided to try using this to attack Newt and Romney in posts and messages. I'm in Michigan, primary in a few weeks, so time to try to hit them as I can. A guy that starts a company with nearly a billion users, who has the advice of some of the biggest financial banks out there with this IPO, and Zuckerberg still pays 40% in taxes. Newt got away with a tax dodge that the IRS hammers other people for. Romney sneaks by with a 15% tax rate with his financial background, but also 'forgot' to include a 3 million swiss bank account his wife held.

Fair is fair, can't begrudge Zuckerberg for his taxes, Newt and Romney are getting special treatment that I hope hurts them in the election.

awake
02-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Good for Zuckerberg, even If he gets to pay no taxes what so ever. The politics of envy are why we have a Leviathan state. Politicians love to foment this deadly sin so as to make easier their greedy extractions.

NidStyles
02-10-2012, 05:47 AM
According to Miller, mark-to-market would only affect individuals who were undeniably, extraordinarily rich, only publicly traded stock would be marked to market, and a mark-to-market system of taxation on the top one-tenth of 1 percent would raise hundreds of billions of dollars of new revenue over the next 10 years."

This is simply idealistic BS. I'm an Investor and if I was paying taxes like that, I would simply move my money to another country. It's not hard to move it over-seas, and it's not like you wouldn't see this sort of tax coming. This is nothing more than class-warfare, and the only people it actually harm's are the small investors that do not generate a large enough amount off their investments to be worth keeping their money in the markets. This will do nothing but destroy capital and reduce the revenue stream from taxation.

Honestly, I wouldn't take advice from anyone that doesn't have money in the markets and doesn't see how much you actually pay in taxes. You get taxed twice when you pull your money out, and once if you move it into another sector. Just pulling the money into a MM account to be usable in the real world net's me 15% of Capital Gains and ~30% for Income taxes.

So say I'm pulling 10K out from off the top. First, I get by the Cap Gains. that's $1500 off the top right there. So now I'm left with $8500. Then Income taxes. That's another $2550. So I had however much money tied up in this investment, for some period of time just to have $5950 to show for it. This is why only the rich are playing this game, or those that have other people's money to play it with.

The common everyday man can't afford to tie up that much money for the amount of time required to make enough to be worth it. Savings accounts are worthless with the interest rates at Zero. All of the Capital is being siphoned out the nation by taxation and the people capable of playing on Wall Street. It's even worse, because on top of them creating Inflation and liquidity traps through taxation, and the Inflation that is created by Wall Street, we have the Fed still printing money for no reason at all other than they want to so they can support their manipulation and scams in the markets they they are playing in themselves.