PDA

View Full Version : Good Day For Gravel

LibertyCzar
06-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Mike Gravel stands and stares into the camera for over a minute and throws a rock into a lake. This probably cost his campaign less than a hundred bucks.

So the video got attention on CNN and MSNBC today. On the Tucker Carlson show, Mike Gravel was even interviewed. Such a simple short video has certainly gained a lot of attention.

Can something similar be done for Ron Paul?

angelatc
06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
The Daily Show crowd isn't being as kind to it. I think it's too abstract.

DjLoTi
06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
I think it's really... kind of... strange.... lol

angrydragon
06-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe the rock represents what's wrong with government and water represents (more taxes) money.

X_805
06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe he's making a play on words about his name even though it's pronounced differently.

Seer
06-18-2007, 07:55 PM
As someone else said on Reason's blog, he makes a big splash, and then all is as it was before.

Nathan Hale
06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Mike Gravel stands and stares into the camera for over a minute and throws a rock into a lake. This probably cost his campaign less than a hundred bucks.

So the video got attention on CNN and MSNBC today. On the Tucker Carlson show, Mike Gravel was even interviewed. Such a simple short video has certainly gained a lot of attention.

Can something similar be done for Ron Paul?

As Paul appears on CNN and MSNBC, and is a regular on Tucker, I don't think he needs help from Gravel's schtick.

cujothekitten
06-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe I like it because I'm an art student but his two videos are really great. They were made by some film teachers and students that approached Gravel about doing this for them. It wasn't his campaign idea but a couple of great supporters... unfortunately I don't think people get it, which is really strange to me.

I saw this bit on the news today and the reporter didn't understand what was going on. I honestly don't understand how a reporter that is college educated in journalism and film (every anchor knows about film/TV techniques) couldn't understand this video. I really think they got it but would rather beat Gravel down... sad really. Anyway I wrote up an explanation about this in a different thread about 3 weeks ago so I thought I'd post it again. They really are wonderful videos from an artistic perspective.

I guess they need a bit of an explanation. Both the videos are basically performance art. In Rock you see him standing there for a good minute staring into the camera. He doesn't say a word and instead walks over, picks up a rock (a rather large one mind you) and throws it into a pond. This is a representation of him disturbing the calm and status quo of the Democratic Party. He makes a splash, he disrupts the pond.

After throwing the rock he then walks away continuing down the path. From the right side of the screen a lone man walks out of the woods and begins to follow him. Without the camera moving you get a since that this is the beginning of a large group of people waiting just out of view that will also begin to follow him down the same path. From one rock comes a wave of support. -the end-

Fire is also a metaphor. Gravel is seen walking along and picking up sticks. These sticks represent ideas, thoughts, innovation. He then puts these sticks in a pile and lights them on fire, fire representing burning passion. He has created a fire (passion) from his sticks and twigs (thoughts and ideas). -the end-