PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Virginia Primary Poll [Romney v. Paul Head to Head]

SCOTUSman
02-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Candidate
2/1-2/6

Romney
68%

Paul

19%

Don't Know
13%

35% Could change mind, 63% have mind made up (33% of Romney Supporters could change mind, 66% have mind made up; 45% of Paul supporters could change mind, 53% have mind made up).

From February 1 - 6, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,544 registered voters with a margin of error of +/- 2.5 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones. The Republican primary includes 546 likely voters with a margin of error of +/- 4.2 percent.

IF all 4 candidates were on ballot:

Candidate
2/1-2/6

Romney
37%

Gingrich
27%

Santorum
18%

Paul
12%

Gingrich supporters go for Romney 70 to 10. Santorum supporters go for Romney 65-23.

Ron Paul Favorabilities:

Favorable
38%

Unfavorable
35%

Haven't Heard Enough
25%

General Election:
Obama 47-Romney 43
Obama 47-Paul 40
Obama 49-Santorum 41
Obama 51-Gingrich 37

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=1700

stu2002
02-08-2012, 06:54 AM
WOW

bluesc
02-08-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm surprised people weren't expecting this. Ron's head to head numbers against Romney are always this bad. I can't believe people expect Ron to have a chance in hell of winning Virginia.

ross11988
02-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Uggghhhh

SCOTUSman
02-08-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm surprised people weren't expecting this. Ron's head to head numbers against Romney are always this bad. I can't believe people expect Ron to have a chance in hell of winning Virginia.

People want Paul versus Romney 1 v 1 because of the anti-Romney vote :rolleyes:

bluesc
02-08-2012, 06:59 AM
People want Paul versus Romney 1 v 1 because of the anti-Romney vote :rolleyes:

What they don't realize is that the anti-Paul vote is much more significant and much more dead set on not voting for the candidate they oppose.

jkob
02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Ouch.

I think if Newt and Frothy are still in the race at the time they could get their supporters to vote Paul as a means of denying Mitt the delegates

SCOTUSman
02-08-2012, 07:01 AM
What they don't realize is that the anti-Paul vote is much more significant and much more dead set on not voting for the candidate they oppose.
At least his favorability numbers are a net positive. Nice to see that more people in the VA GOP view him favorable than unfavorable.

SCOTUSman
02-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Ouch.

I think if Newt and Frothy are still in the race at the time they could get their supporters to vote Paul as a means of denying Mitt the delegates

possibly, but since it is 1 v 1...it is winner take all. The at large statewide delegates are winner take all (13 delegates there) and the 11 congressional districts are each winner take all (3 delegates each there)...It isn't proportional. So if we don't win on COngressional district, we get 0 delegates.

Mordan

I was expecting this and it sucks.

How do you plan winning the nomination if you can't win head to head vs Romney? Santorum does it (kind of) in Colorado and 2 other states.

bluesc
At least his favorability numbers are a net positive. Nice to see that more people in the VA GOP view him favorable than unfavorable.

Then poll the ones who view him favorably and ask them who they think is more electable and has the better chance of winning the nomination.

Favorable numbers mean shit unless you can capitalize on them, and the campaign can't.

rp08orbust
02-08-2012, 07:04 AM

I don't think it's so much of an anti-Paul vote as an "electability" vote among the masses who have been brainwashed by Fox News into believing that Ron Paul can't beat Obama.

AlexG
02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
That's pretty good, imagine if he starts campaigning there he could get 30%

bluesc
02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
I don't think it's so much of an anti-Paul vote as an "electability" vote among the masses who have been brainwashed by Fox News into believing that Ron Paul can't beat Obama.

Also that.

mavtek
02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
We have to hope Santorum and Grinch tell their supporters to vote Paul.

neverseen
02-08-2012, 07:10 AM
i think the newt and sants will vote paul to deny romney. case in point, newt people voted for sant in missou to prevent romney last night.

rp08orbust
02-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Neither has the organization to do so.

Feeding the Abscess
02-08-2012, 07:16 AM
The anti-Paul sentiment is multitudes greater and more passionate than the anti-Mitt sentiment.

Sematary
02-08-2012, 07:17 AM
It's still WAY early and if the campaign makes a concerted effort and pours some advertising dollars into Virginia then anything is possible. But, Ron is going to have to go after Romney hard on his record, plain and simple.

cindy25
02-08-2012, 07:17 AM
its not 1 on 1; its 3 on 1; people will be voting for or against Romney.

Student Of Paulism
02-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Lol, this was expected, as Blue said, head to head with just Romney alone is always a disaster. With a whopping lead of 2/3s of the vote, its doubtful he will ever be able to catch him there no matter if he spent every second there from now til voting day. It's obvious all too many people have their hearts set on Mitt. Maybe we should petition to allow them to get Newt and Rick on the ballot there lmao.

Look at the brightside, he will get second place.

undergroundrr
02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Anything could happen in a month. But the one thing I'd be willing to guarantee won't happen is Ron Paul's percentage going down.

wgadget
02-08-2012, 07:30 AM
On the bright side, there are some neocons who hate Romney so much that they're pushing people to vote for Paul as a protest vote. See RedState.

wgadget
02-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Question: Will Romney attack Paul in VA? Vice versa? Should be interesting.

rp08orbust
02-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Question: Will Romney attack Paul in VA? Vice versa? Should be interesting.

Romney has no reason to attack Ron Paul in VA (he didn't attack him much when he did have reason to in IA), and Ron Paul probably does not have the money to attack Romney.

sailingaway
02-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Yeah, in Virginia which is a subburb of DC and has a different economy than the rest of the nation, accordingly. That wouldn't be the same in the midwest or the South, but those are not the areas where Ron is head to head with Romney.

The question is whether Dems and Indies would come out for Ron, since it is an open primary. Usually Q doesn't poll indies this far out. Did they?

Otherwise, it being so far out, I would expect it to look like the low end of national polling numbers, which it does.

tsetsefly
02-08-2012, 07:38 AM

This will change, Sucktorum and grinch supporters wont want to give the delegates to Romney, I fully expect RP to have a real shot at winning Virginia...

and paul's numbers are always bad ion the polls weeks before the elections are about to happen...

sailingaway
02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Romney has no reason to attack Ron Paul in VA (he didn't attack him much when he did have reason to in IA), and Ron Paul probably does not have the money to attack Romney.

No. In Iowa he was fighting Gingrich. Romney won't have anyone else to fight in VA. But it is not up immediately.

rich34
02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Newt n Santorum better be backing Ron here if they want to deny Romney all those delegates. Ignorant on their part if they dont.

Todd
02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Ouch.

Judging by the trends....that's just not going to happen.

cindy25
02-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Romney can't spend much time in VA, as he must spend the next 3 weeks in AZ and MI (a loss in MI could end the Romney campaign)

and even Romney money is limited. he can't spend $100 million on super Tuesday. if he puts $20 million in VA, it has to come out of OH or GA or OK

sailingaway
02-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Lol, this was expected, as Blue said, head to head with just Romney alone is always a disaster. With a whopping lead of 2/3s of the vote, its doubtful he will ever be able to catch him there no matter if he spent every second there from now til voting day. It's obvious all too many people have their hearts set on Mitt. Maybe we should petition to allow them to get Newt and Rick on the ballot there lmao.

Look at the brightside, he will get second place.

I don't think a soul on earth has 'their hearts set on Mitt'. I think there are those who think the others are worse. However, the current frame of the economy of Virginia these days may well depend on crony capitalism. It is something to think about.

cucucachu0000
02-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Wait till we start campaigning there and have sarah palin telling people to vote for ron paul to keep the primary going. Things like that would boost our numbers.

djfirm
02-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Geeze, this place is full of dreamers. You cant just start shifting numbers around willy nilly to your favor without any reasoning at all. Like 30% of Romney supporters are just going to change their minds on a dime. Palin will come to our rescue and endorse Paul. The youth will come out in droves. Romey will drop out soon. :rolleyes: Where do you people get these wacky ideas from?

The more we focus on the reality of our situation, the better decisions we can make. If we keep fooling ourselves with "youth vote" nonsense, that people will magically wake up, etc.. we will continue to perform poorly. People are putting their hope into Cali? Are you kidding? Cali is a lost cause. They are bleeding money and they continue to want every program under the sun and you think Paul, who is the opposite of everything that keeps California in trouble is going to come sweeping in and win? oh brother.

Mods can remove my post now. Can't have reality pop any bubbles around here.

Constitutional Paulicy
02-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Wouldn't it be just as likely that pro Gingrich and Santorum voters protest the vote by not turning up at the polls. I'd imagine there would be a low voter turn out. If there was fallout, I'm guessing it would go to Paul in favor of upsetting Romney since some pro Gingrich and Santorum supporters would like to see a Romney upset. I could imagine a closer race than some might think, but in the end, Romney would still likely win.

Are these delegates binding or non-binding?

sailingaway
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Geeze, this place is full of dreamers. You cant just start shifting numbers around willy nilly to your favor without any reasoning at all. Like 30% of Romney supporters are just going to change their minds on a dime. Palin will come to our rescue and endorse Paul. The youth will come out in droves. Romey will drop out soon. :rolleyes: Where do you people get these wacky ideas from?

The more we focus on the reality of our situation, the better decisions we can make. If we keep fooling ourselves with "youth vote" nonsense, that people will magically wake up, etc.. we will continue to perform poorly. People are putting their hope into Cali? Are you kidding? Cali is a lost cause. They are bleeding money and they continue to want every program under the sun and you think Paul, who is the opposite of everything that keeps California in trouble is going to come sweeping in and win? oh brother.

Mods can remove my post now. Can't have reality pop any bubbles around here.

I don't expect Palin to do anything concrete to help. I think Romney is a default kind of guy, is all. But I think VA is bound to the status quo and might fire up for him if they see their gravy train threatened. I think that is reality.

And 27% last night was a good number. No one expected Santorum to get as much as he did, going in. We needed the youth vote. We just need to focus more on older voters. But don't cut down the part of the campaign that is working, augment it because it isn't enough.

The Gold Standard
02-08-2012, 08:10 AM
A quarter of the people don't even know who Ron Paul is (the media is doing their job well). Lets run a few million dollars in ads over there and see what the numbers look like. Now we just need to raise a few million dollars for ads in Virginia.

Cyberbrain
02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Virginia will definitely not be the first state Paul wins, he needs momentum before he can win here, but he will do much better than 19%. If we can deny Romney 51% then it goes to proportional delegates and that's whats most important.

Constitutional Paulicy
02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Virginia will definitely not be the first state Paul wins, he needs momentum before he can win here, but he will do much better than 19%. If we can deny Romney 51% then it goes to proportional delegates and that's whats most important.

Actually it's 50.1% and that would mean it's inevitable than one or the other will exceed 50% since it's a two man race. That's why it would be in our favor that other candidates were in the race so we could pick up some delegates so long of course that we exceed 15% of the vote in the districts.

I'm still wondering if these delegates are bound or unbound.

Badger Paul
02-08-2012, 08:29 AM
"What they don't realize is that the anti-Paul vote is much more significant and much more dead set on not voting for the candidate they oppose."

That might be true if it were only Paul and Romney left on the stage. But it's not after last night and if conservatives want to hurt Romney and stop him, holding their nose and voting for Paul is the only way they can to do so.

luctor-et-emergo
02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
No excuse early voting for all the youngsters that don't turn out otherwise ?
Then try to maximize % among older folks, and hope for low turnout.

Mordan
02-08-2012, 08:35 AM
as I have always said since VA Judge ruling. VA is where RP campaign proves its mantle.

is it here to win or to educate?

Cyberbrain
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Actually it's 50.1% and that would mean it's inevitable than one or the other will exceed 50% since it's a two man race. That's why it would be in our favor that other candidates were in the race so we could pick up some delegates so long of course that we exceed 15% of the vote in the districts.

I'm still wondering if these delegates are bound or unbound.

Argh right I meant a majority. And a bill is going through the legislature (republican house, split senate) to allow an uncommitted vote in the primary. That'd be our best shot.

And delegates are bound.

jllundqu
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
as I have always said since VA Judge ruling. VA is where RP campaign proves its mantle.

is it here to win or to educate?

That is the best way to put it... is the campaign here to win or educate? VA should be fertile ground for us, but in a winner take all state, it looks like we should skip this one like Florida at this point. I am beginning to feel that the campaign is so entrenched in its methods, that it won't change strategy (read: being smart while remaining principled).

Lightweis
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Help win us Virginia. Our grassroots needs funds to get the word out! . Virginia comparison sheets to every voter!!! Help us

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358730-MONEYBOMB-FEB-6-7-HELP-WIN-VIRGINIA-MONEYBOMB&highlight=moneybomb

RonPaul101.com
02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Ask Newt to lend us, "When Mitt Romney Came to Town" to run in VA.

A state specific ad would be nice too, something that actually says, "Every voter regardless of political party preference can vote in the primary. (VA is an open primary, voters in VA do not declare a party affiliation.)

kylejack
General Election. Time to ditch, this ain't happening.

BrittanySligar
Anti-Romney vote is a myth. There's a Pro-Israel vote, and an Anti-Paul vote. Both can go to Romney.

Constitutional Paulicy
02-08-2012, 08:49 AM
And delegates are bound.

Bummer.:(

RDM
02-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Judging by the trends....that's just not going to happen.

Finally a voice of reason amongst those that refuse to put down the "crack pipe".

RonPaul101.com
02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
That is the best way to put it... is the campaign here to win or educate? VA should be fertile ground for us, but in a winner take all state, it looks like we should skip this one like Florida at this point. I am beginning to feel that the campaign is so entrenched in its methods, that it won't change strategy (read: being smart while remaining principled).

WHAT? Skip Virginia? In favor of what of other state? Thankfully, the campaign disagrees with you since they have two offices in that state and lots of organization. Even if Ron Paul polled at 2% right now, we would need build up momentum and either win the state or do as best as we possibly can in that state. If we get totally smoked in VA we will never have momentum again this election cycle, no matter what happens elsewhere. Virginia is an open primary, a battleground state, and has only two candidates running. If Romney beats us bad like 75/25 or such, we will have absolutely no claimto being the anti-Romney.

Cyberbrain
02-08-2012, 08:52 AM
For reference, from greenpapers:

Virgina does not register voters by party. The loyality oath requirement was removed on 17 January 2012.

Tuesday 6 March 2012: 46 of 49 of Virginia's delegates to the Republican National Convention are pledged to presidential contenders in today's Virginia Presidential Primary.

33 district delegates are to be bound to presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the 11 congressional districts: each congressional district is assigned 3 National Convention delegates and the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in that district will receive all 3 of that district's National Convention delegates.

13 at-large delegates (10 base at-large delegates plus 3 bonus delegates) are to be bound to presidential contenders based on the primary results statewide. Compute percentages to 3 decimal places, that is, 50.000%. The delegates are allocated to the presidential contenders as follows:
If a candidate receives 50.001% or more of the vote, that candidate is allocated all 13 at-large delegates.
If no candidate receives 50.001% or more of the vote, the 13 at-large delegates are allocated proportionally among those candidates receiving 15.000% or more of the vote. Rounding rules: Beginning with the candidate receiving the largest number of votes, round the fraction to the next whole number of delegates. Continue this process with the next highest vote getter and repeat until all the delegates are allocated.

cucucachu0000
02-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm not looking for a palin endorsement dope just looking for her and other tea party groups coming out to vote for paul to hurt romney.

da32130
02-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Finally a voice of reason amongst those that refuse to put down the "crack pipe".

Judging by the trends Santorum should have gotten crushed in CO,MN,MO and Newt should have gotten crushed in SC.

We're here to find a way. The question is what would it take? What is the best plan?

Are your comments helping push us forward? Just being a realist.

When US Hockey beat the soviets in the early 80s the whole team was smoking the "crack pipe" because they should of known they didn't have a chance in hell of winning. But they did.

Schiff_FTW
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Focusing on electability might actually hurt Romney and help Paul, so there's no way the Paul campaign will do that. We've got a speech at the convention to think about! :rolleyes:

groverblue
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM

That will never happen.

kylejack
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Gingrich won't vote for Paul as the nominee. He's certainly not going to endorse him in Virginia. Santorum's mad about attack ads. Forget about it.

SilentBull
02-08-2012, 10:30 AM
This means the anti-Romney thing just doesn't work. Republicans don't like Ron Paul. They'll vote for anyone else, apparently. Even for the guy they admit is a flip flopper.

kylejack
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Hence, let's run 3rd or Indy and snatch up some civil liberties anti-war votes from the Left and add them to our supporters.

thelaibon
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Gingrich won't vote for Paul as the nominee. He's certainly not going to endorse him in Virginia. Santorum's mad about attack ads. Forget about it.
I think you guys are lost. If we assume that Gingrich & Santorum's roles in the race are only to spoil Paul, then I agree. Otherwise, it make the most sense that they covertly ask their support base to vote for Paul since Paul is far less of an overall threat than Romney.

Shane Harris
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Its been obvious this entire election that the GOP is FUBAR. extremely FUBAR. nothing but. FUBAR

K466
02-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Hate those numbers, but Romney's momentum is what this poll is about. Romney's momentum has decreased considerably with Tuesday's results. That will help Virginia. Especially if Ron also wins or places very well in Maine (35%+).

IDefendThePlatform
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Is there a website where voters can apply for an early ballot? If so we should promote the hell out of it to our supporters in Virginia through Facebook, google, whatever.

BUSHLIED
02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Very discouraging news. Even if you give Ron the benefit of the doubt and double his vote to 38%, he still loses...

If Ron can't beat Romney in VA heads up, then well that's all she wrote.

I wonder if Ron will even win his own state of Texas...oh well.

moonshine5757
02-08-2012, 11:44 AM
we're getting slaughtered

mosquitobite
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
And this poll is the exact reason why I don't think a brokered convention is in our best interests too.

The convention will still be valuable if brokered, but not to us. It will be to move the party back to the right though.

Also, if all of us are active feet on the street and working within the party, we can change this ship. Let's just hope it's soon enough!

kylejack
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
And this poll is the exact reason why I don't think a brokered convention is in our best interests too.

The convention will still be valuable if brokered, but not to us. It will be to move the party back to the right though.

Also, if all of us are active feet on the street and working within the party, we can change this ship. Let's just hope it's soon enough!
Right. We've done a good job infiltrating the party, but we would still get slaughtered if the insiders make the decision.

Darthbrooklyn
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Whats amazing is the GOP powers that be dont realize or care that RP is the only one that can beat Obama.. Hes sting there right in front of their face and noone in the GOP wants to back him up.. RP would bring w whole new group of people to the GOP because once these old neocons die off, the party is over and they will be weakened for a long time to come. Im not just saying it because i support RP , but there is not a snowballs chance in hell Romney/Grinch/Santorum beats Obama... NONE of them will bring the indys and dems ... NONE

Mordan
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
If Romney beats us bad like 75/25 or such, we will have absolutely no claimto being the anti-Romney.

that's all there is to it. RP being a viable anti Romney.

except Maine for a possible win to help winning VA, I don't care about all the other states. VA is where Ron Paul shows he can win a brokered convention. realistically.

otherwise it will be someone else.

thoughtomator
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
We have four weeks and this is an extremely volatile race still, so don't go committing suicide over a poll just yet.

Sean
02-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I am already hearing that the Newt and Rick campaigns will instruct their supporters to vote for Paul in Virginia. We need a win in Maine and we need to win the upcoming caucuses.

gerryb
02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Folks, you keep saying they will vote for RP to deny Romney the delegates.

VA delegates are chosen at GOP committee(Or Unit they are called in VA) meetings.

If Ron Paul people are not involved at those meetings, even if we won 100% of the straw vote on March 6th, we won't have ANY delegates.

RPit
02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
The poll is a reflection of what I've been saying all along. We will never be the anti-Romney vote because we aren't electable. Unless the campaign bombards them with electability related and (budget, social security) ads.. We can never wins.

As much as a 1v1 against Romney is a blessing, it will be our biggest curse if we lose, especially if we lose this badly. If the Campaign has any sense they would start playing up electability and drawing a distinction between RP and Obama and the Indepedent votes and so forth.

Until we are electable, we will never beat anyone 1v1.

and what I mean is 'perception'.. We rank dead last is all the states when they talk about electability. If that doesn't change, forget about the nomination.

Schiff_FTW
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
The poll is a reflection of what I've been saying all along. We will never be the anti-Romney vote because we aren't electable. Unless the campaign bombards them with electability related and (budget, social security) ads.. We can never wins.

As much as a 1v1 against Romney is a blessing, it will be our biggest curse if we lose, especially if we lose this badly. If the Campaign has any sense they would start playing up electability and drawing a distinction between RP and Obama and the Indepedent votes and so forth.

Until we are electable, we will never beat anyone 1v1.

and what I mean is 'perception'.. We rank dead last is all the states when they talk about electability. If that doesn't change, forget about the nomination.

You are exactly correct. However playing up Paul's electability would chip away at Romney's base, which the Paul campaign would absolutely hate to do. Apparently, it is much better we continue to kiss Romney's butt and hope he throws us a few crumbs when he wins the nomination.

alucard13mmfmj
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
you guys are assuming that santorum and newt is in this to "win", so they will temporarily endorse Ron in Virginia. i think they are just there to go all the way to convention, get some delegates and give them to romney =s. but i am just assuming as well ^^, so theres no telling what could happen.

RDM
02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
you guys are assuming that santorum and newt is in this to "win", so they will temporarily endorse Ron in Virginia. i think they are just there to go all the way to convention, get some delegates and give them to romney =s. but i am just assuming as well ^^, so theres no telling what could happen.

That's exactly what is taking place. RNC allows the transfer of delegates and all you're seeing right now are smoke and mirrors to keep Ron down.

eleganz
02-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Folks, you keep saying they will vote for RP to deny Romney the delegates.

VA delegates are chosen at GOP committee(Or Unit they are called in VA) meetings.

If Ron Paul people are not involved at those meetings, even if we won 100% of the straw vote on March 6th, we won't have ANY delegates.

Numbers
49 Total Delegates
3 RNC, 33 CD and 13 AL
Important Dates
Primary: 03/06/2012
City & County Meetings: TBD
CD Conventions: TBD
State Convention: 06/16/2012
Selection Method
Primary
Delegates bound for one ballot
o 46 Bound
o 3 Unbound
Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Proportional allocation for
candidates receiving at least 15% of the vote.
Winner-take-all if a candidate receives a majority
(50.001% or more) of the vote.
Delegate election: At State Convention
CD – Delegate allocation: Winner-take-all based on
individual congressional district.
Delegate election: At CD Conventions

gerryb
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Numbers
49 Total Delegates
3 RNC, 33 CD and 13 AL
Important Dates
Primary: 03/06/2012
City & County Meetings: TBD
CD Conventions: TBD
State Convention: 06/16/2012
Selection Method
Primary
Delegates bound for one ballot
o 46 Bound
o 3 Unbound
Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Proportional allocation for
candidates receiving at least 15% of the vote.
Winner-take-all if a candidate receives a majority
(50.001% or more) of the vote.
Delegate election: At State Convention
CD – Delegate allocation: Winner-take-all based on
individual congressional district.
Delegate election: At CD Conventions

http://rpv.org/node/908

View:
Official Call for RPV 2012 State Convention.pdf
Sample RPV Delegate Pre-File Form.pdf

Cortes
02-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Chew on this:

Ron's platform > Rand's platform >>>xmillion everyone else's

but

Rand's campaign organization >>>xmillion Ron's

matt0611
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Its been obvious this entire election that the GOP is FUBAR. extremely FUBAR. nothing but. FUBAR

This. I've seen enough. The GOP is a lost cause. It needs to be written off, at least when it comes to national elections.
There are a handful of decent republicans in the house and senate but that's it.

IDefendThePlatform
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
This. I've seen enough. The GOP is a lost cause. It needs to be written off, at least when it comes to national elections.
There are a handful of decent republicans in the house and senate but that's it.

I blame Foxnews. The GOP voters are just doing what the propaganda has been telling them to do. We need to expose the media and create our own (internet, new TV station) if we're going to be successful over the long haul.

Keith and stuff
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM

I completely agree. I've made many 1000s of phone calls to Republicans. Because they personally disagree with Ron Paul on foreign policy, they think Paul has no chance of beating Obama. Their ideas make zero sense as poll after poll shows Paul doing pretty well against Obama or usually better than most of the other Republican do against Obama.

Warmon
02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
For a little perspective, Paul Beat Romney in the 2008 VA Primary. We can do it again!

Official Results[3][4] Candidate Votes Percentage Delegates
John McCain 244,829 50.04% 60
Mike Huckabee 199,003 40.67% 0
Ron Paul 21,999 4.50% 0
Mitt Romney* 18,002 3.68% 0
Fred Thompson* 3,395 0.69% 0
Rudy Giuliani* 2,024 0.41% 0
Total 489,252 100% 60

Feeding the Abscess
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
For a little perspective, Paul Beat Romney in the 2008 VA Primary. We can do it again!

Official Results[3][4] Candidate Votes Percentage Delegates
John McCain 244,829 50.04% 60
Mike Huckabee 199,003 40.67% 0
Ron Paul 21,999 4.50% 0
Mitt Romney* 18,002 3.68% 0
Fred Thompson* 3,395 0.69% 0
Rudy Giuliani* 2,024 0.41% 0
Total 489,252 100% 60

Romney had dropped out by then.

PaulConventionWV
02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Never going to happen. Do people here actually believe this?

Feeding the Abscess
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Yes. Sadly.

gerryb
02-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Romney had dropped out by then.

Ouch.

I think we'll do much better in VA. These numbers REALLY surprise me, though. I thought it would be 60/40 or even, one way or the other.

RileyE104
02-08-2012, 06:30 PM

LOL, I was expecting Sarah Palin to come out and accidentally say "If I lived in Virginia, I would vote for Newt Gingrich," not knowing that he wont even be on the ballot. :D

Mark37snj
02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I think this poll underestimates the anti-Romney vote. Gingrich and Santorum voters, if they show up, will vote strategically against Romney.

ONUV
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
foreign policy

One Last Battle!
02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
This was before Romney was destroyed by Santorum repeatedly.

I don't think we'll win by any means, but I think when it comes down to it we'll do okay and possibly win some congressional districts.

Lightweis
02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
wow you guys are being really negative about virginia. Its a whole month away! and we have people on the ground ready to work hard. Intrade has us at 16 percent to win. have Hope! A win in Maine and were right back into it!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358730-Help-win-Virginia-Moneybomb-Feb-8-12 <-to win Virginia

eleganz
02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Who's on the ground? if there are really people on the ground then that is a wonderful thing.

We really have to hit VA with the recent national poll and how well Ron does against Obama...let them know he could beat Obama.

wow you guys are being really negative about virginia. Its a whole month away! and we have people on the ground ready to work hard. Intrade has us at 16 percent to win. have Hope! A win in Maine and were right back into it!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358730-Help-win-Virginia-Moneybomb-Feb-8-12 <-to win Virginia

abruzz0
02-08-2012, 07:58 PM

That was my first thought when I heard only RP and Mittens were on the ballot. The fact is, RP is simply a no-go for mainstream Republicans.

bluesc
02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
That was my first thought when I heard only RP and Mittens were on the ballot. The fact is, RP is simply a no-go for mainstream Republicans.

Not necessarily. He is pretty strong in parts of the NE and some of the midwest. His strongest area is probably the west and that's where he may be competitive in primaries. Think Montana and New Mexico.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB KILL THE MOOOSLIMS and BROWN FOLK. GOP has become the party of war, death, destruction, tyranny, theocracy, and religious nuttery. Goldwater was right.

When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye

Religious kooks have destroyed the GOP.

JJ2
02-08-2012, 09:04 PM
When they add in the other candidates, Paul got 12%, including 15% from non-Tea Partiers and 5% from Tea Partiers!!!

Something has to be done about the Tea Party vote!

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
When they add in the other candidates, Paul got 12%, including 15% from non-Tea Partiers and 5% from Tea Partiers!!!

The Tea-Party has nearly become synonymous with Neo-Conservatism. Good luck getting those bastards to vote for Ron.

Nathan Hale
02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
This is just a reminder that Paul benefits from a large field. There are a lot of calls for Gingrich or Santorum to drop out, but we need them, if only to split the establishment vote. In a four way race, a nice high-twenties plurality can win a state, not in a two way race.

JJ2
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe we can get Rush Limbaugh to do an "Operation Chaos" for Virginia. ;)

James Madison
02-08-2012, 09:12 PM

The Tea Party has become a group of gay-bashing, Muslim-hating, Israel-worshiping zealots.

LiveForHonortune
02-08-2012, 09:17 PM
If there were only enough wealthy libertarians to start our own mainstream media networks...

The biggest hurdle really is the media. They don't give him enough fair time and when they do they distort or outright lie about his views.

Remember how he only gets 1% of media time.

PaleoPaul
02-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Let's get Peter Thiel to help us build a Liberty News Network!

MikeChambers
02-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Let's get Peter Thiel to help us build a Liberty News Network!

The question is would people support it and could you sell enough advertisers, cable and satellite providers on the idea? You could go all new media but again it would require a huge level of support and word of mouth promotion.

Mordan
02-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Who's on the ground? if there are really people on the ground then that is a wonderful thing.

We really have to hit VA with the recent national poll and how well Ron does against Obama...let them know he could beat Obama.

+1.

RP needs a good score vs Romney head to head.

parocks
02-09-2012, 05:19 AM

The argument is STOP ROMNEY. If you're a Gingrich supporter, you don't want Romney to get farther ahead of Gingrich. Same with Santorum.

parocks
02-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Yes. Sadly.

The candidates themselves might not say it, but their supporters know about it. And they are preparing to vote for Paul in Virginia to STOP ROMNEY.