PDA

View Full Version : MAINE: THIS IS IT

carterm
02-08-2012, 01:42 AM
We have all agreed that Maine was and is now more than ever a must win. So let's start. PFH, call your friends, hit the webs, spread the message. Those nearby do work. Funnel the focus. One state at a time, especially here.

Razmear
02-08-2012, 01:46 AM
If you are doing phone from home, have a list of what towns have already voted (I think most already have) so you don't waste calls to areas that have already caucused.

Karsten
02-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Not trying to put a damper on this, but aren't we polling last in Maine?

freneticentropy
02-08-2012, 01:53 AM

We are? I've only heard that much of Maine has already voted and we're doing very well and may win.

ssjevot
02-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Yeah it's a two man race in Maine between us and Romney. We really need to keep fighting hard there.

centure7
02-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Not trying to put a damper on this, but aren't we polling last in Maine?Irrelevant. We were polling as low as 9% in MN a few days before the vote. Then we got 27%, our highest number yet.

Go Maine!!!

RickyJ
02-08-2012, 01:55 AM

I have heard of nothing of the sort. Where did you get this from?

TheTexan
02-08-2012, 01:55 AM
RCP's last poll for Maine is from October...

<wishfulthinking><tinfoilhat>methinks they don't poll Maine because they know we're winning</tinfoilhat></wishfulthinking>

Freeberty
02-08-2012, 02:01 AM
No polling is being done due to the unpredictability of a caucus with extremely low turnout. It can't be accurately predicted by polls so even if one were to come out I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Kregisen
02-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Why is it a 7 day caucus? I don't get it.

coffeewithchess
02-08-2012, 02:12 AM
I agree. RP needs/must win a 1st in one state...before they change the rules of the debates.
He needs to win 1st, and he needs it soon.

Facebook ads for Maine?

LibertasPraesidium
02-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Ok, I am in MN what does maine need that doesn't require me coming out there. One thing I do know is Phone from home, and scanning the few million Ron Paul supporters on facebook, who might live in Maine. BTW Ron Paul's Page should be at 1 million likes by then. :-) Anything I can do just tell me.

PauliticsPolitics
02-08-2012, 02:21 AM

You are thinking of MN (Minnesota) maybe? We were polling last there but got a strong second at 27%

Regardless, there have been absolutely no polls for Maine this year.
We can seriously win, but it could be close.
There are likely only 5000 or so people caucusing, in other words, every 50 votes basically means 1%.

We have to do everything to get every single vote.

parocks
02-08-2012, 02:22 AM

I'm in Maine.

I voted already.

We didn't win mine 3/2/2/1 - we were in 2nd, and we got 2 delegates.

We are getting clear wins in a lot of towns. The results are being kept secret.

Here's what is being said:

From what we have learned of the Preference Poll results so far, the race for First Place in Maine a dead heat between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney. Many counties have been decided by as few as 2 votes! These are very narrow margins, every vote counts, and we need to Score a Solid First Place Finish for Dr. Paul.

Historically Androscoggin County has a very low turnout for Caucuses. Androscoggin County is allowed 286 delegate spots with an equal number of alternates, the best that Androscoggin has ever done is to fill 115 of those spots.The race for Maine will be decided in this Saturday and Dr. Paul needs all hands on deck to ensure victory.

Caucus day is Saturday, Feb. 11
Voter registration will take place from 9:00-10:00 AM Independent and Unenrolled voters may register during the registration hour only.
Program will begin at 9:00 AM with line up of distinguised speakers.
All Towns Caucus individually at 11:00 AM

Geiger Elementary School, 601 College St., Lewiston
All towns in Androscoggin County come's together on the same date, time and location.

Its Now or Never.
Let's Win This for Dr. Paul

Please attend the Caucus this Saturday to vote in the Straw Poll and consider becoming a delegate. It is important that we know who is planning on attending, please respond to this with your intentions.

J_White
02-08-2012, 02:25 AM
27% in Maine ? when ? which poll ?

Irrelevant. We were polling as low as 9% in MN a few days before the vote. Then we got 27%, our highest number yet.

Go Maine!!!

PauliticsPolitics
02-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Nope, the person said 27% in MN, meaning Minnesota.

J_White
02-08-2012, 02:27 AM
omg, this debate thing just gave me goosebumps ! scary.
dont give the MSM any ideas ! that would be a very easy way to axe Paul.

I agree. RP needs/must win a 1st in one state...before they change the rules of the debates.
He needs to win 1st, and he needs it soon.

Facebook ads for Maine?

freneticentropy
02-08-2012, 02:27 AM
I hope the grass roots is active as hell in Maine. With the staggered caucuses, seems like they could organize it so that there are people going door to door in each district just a day or two before they each vote.

J_White
02-08-2012, 02:28 AM
oh, but getting 27% is MN, may not change much for us in Maine.
but the three wins might give Santorum a bump, hopefully taking from Romney and not from us (wishful thinking)

Nope, the person said 27% in MN, meaning Minnesota.

RPit
And for GOD SAKE if you know they are RP supporter AT THAT MOMENT help them identify the time of their caucus and location, and when they have to go and what they have to do. Don't just 'convert'/identify people and leave them. Caucuses are hella confusing. Most don't know when they are, where they are, and how they work. All of this you have to teach them before hand. Coming here and telling everyone how you 'converted' people doesn't mean you helped get votes. You just helped open people to Ron Paul, great, now help them cast that all important vote.

GOTV fails because when we find or convert people, we don't tell them anything about voting. We need to do this at the time of finding/converting them. Get their number or something, find out their caucus detail for them, call them and tell them. Don't just call and say 'please vote', they DON'T know where to, how to, and when to. All of this is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. This is how you get out the vote! Make sure they know when and where, and some basic details. And then you REMIND them of this. Unfortunately all this time we just call them 'phone from home' and say vote, but they don't know anything else. GOTV means you remind them. But we never even tell them where and when. Reminding means you have already told them this information before, and most of the time we haven't.. So PLEASE tell them this information before, and then a day before and on the day of the caucus you call them up and remind them, and make sure they know at what time they have to be there (door close so before that time) and where and when!!.

ONUV
Ok, I am in MN what does maine need that doesn't require me coming out there.

$ wouldn't hurt

J_White
02-08-2012, 02:30 AM
bump for great info !
lets have a repeat of the Adelson county late night caucus here !

I'm in Maine.

I voted already.

From what we have learned of the Preference Poll results so far, the race for First Place in Maine a dead heat between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney. Many counties have been decided by as few as 2 votes! These are very narrow margins, every vote counts, and we need to Score a Solid First Place Finish for Dr. Paul.

Historically Androscoggin County has a very low turnout for Caucuses. Androscoggin County is allowed 286 delegate spots with an equal number of alternates, the best that Androscoggin has ever done is to fill 115 of those spots.The race for Maine will be decided in this Saturday and Dr. Paul needs all hands on deck to ensure victory.

Voter registration will take place from 9:00-10:00 AM Independent and Unenrolled voters may register during the registration hour only.

All towns in Androscoggin County come's together on the same date, time and location.

Its Now or Never.

Please attend the Caucus this Saturday to vote in the Straw Poll and consider becoming a delegate. It is important that we know who is planning on attending, please respond to this with your intentions.

giovannile07
02-08-2012, 02:30 AM
MN - Minnesota, ME - Maine. He was mentioning how we had a good run in Minnesota although having low polling numbers, so a poll wouldn't give Ron Paul justice in Maine since it wouldn't be accurate.

Karsten
02-08-2012, 02:34 AM
saturday?

affa
02-08-2012, 02:34 AM
I have heard of nothing of the sort. Where did you get this from?

he got it from the damper, obviously.

Aratus
02-08-2012, 02:38 AM
MAINE MAINE MAINE
MAINE MAINE MAINE
MAINE MAINE MAINE

Karsten
02-08-2012, 02:38 AM
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1599/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1599R-24610.jpg

TomtheTinker
02-08-2012, 03:09 AM
Im from upstate ny...Been to Maine 1 time..beautiful state

Karsten
02-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Im from upstate ny...Been to Maine 1 time..beautiful state
Will ONLY be beautiful with a win.

jkob
02-08-2012, 03:17 AM
If we don't win in Maine, I don't know if we'll win anywhere

Karsten
02-08-2012, 03:20 AM
South Dakota is pretty safe for us nomatter what happens.

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:20 AM

A small western or midwestern state without a lot of Mormons or Evangelicals. CNN just gives us Washington when they're playing guess. They're hesitant about Maine.

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:22 AM
bump for great info !
lets have a repeat of the Adelson county late night caucus here !

Portland is at the same time, basically. A lot of Cumberland and York.

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:24 AM
$ wouldn't hurt

Agree. I think money would be useful at the county level. So, you can send some to the county coordinator. If you want to see more turnout in Lewiston, send there.

Nathan Hale
02-08-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm not saying that we have to win Maine, but it's pretty important from a momentum standpoint. The media will write us off - "strong second place" finishes or not, if we don't.

RPit
02-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Anything less than a win in Maine and Washington is a disappointment in my view, but that doesn't mean much because when I compare to 2008, I really am thinking back and asking 'why am I disappointed'? It means we've come a long way where we actually hope for the better and thus we expect to win. ;)

ironj221
02-08-2012, 03:34 AM
I'm so confused on why Maine is a potential win for us. There was been zero polling and Romney took it with 50% last time. What is this information based off of? I hope we aren't raising the bar too high.

Nathan Hale
02-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Anything less than a win in Maine and Washington is a disappointment in my view,

Agreed. Technically, in order to be considered a candidate at the convention, Paul must win 5 states. So whether or not the plan is simply to amass delegates, Paul needs to start winning:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358988-This-is-it-guys!&p=4149480&viewfull=1#post4149480

but that doesn't mean much because when I compare to 2008, I really am thinking back and asking 'why am I disappointed'? It means we've come a long way where we actually hope for the better and thus we expect to win. ;)

I agree that this year is inspiring even if Paul doesn't win. As a longtime libertarian, it's exciting to see both Paul and Johnson doing big things on the national stage.

Nathan Hale
02-08-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm so confused on why Maine is a potential win for us. There was been zero polling and Romney took it with 50% last time. What is this information based off of? I hope we aren't raising the bar too high.

When Paul campaigned there during the Florida race he built up a decent following but I don't think there's been polling since then.

millercards
02-08-2012, 03:41 AM
RCP's last poll for Maine is from October...

<wishfulthinking><tinfoilhat>methinks they don't poll Maine because they know we're winning</tinfoilhat></wishfulthinking>

<nerdtalk>Love the inserted coding <needlesscomment>I too enjoy HTML</needlesscomment></nerdtalk>

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Send money to Hancock County.

It's possible that Castine - the final caucus on MARCH 3 - could be huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castine,_Maine

population 1343.

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Sending money to the Feb 11 counties might not be enough time for GOTV events that they haven't planned.

juvanya
02-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Why is it a 7 day caucus? I don't get it.
#FREEDOM!

PauliticsPolitics
02-08-2012, 03:50 AM

population 1343.

So for these contests happening after FEB 11, I assume they are just not included in the "state-waide" strawpoll released on Feb 11?
Seems weird to release "results" before all the caucuses are held.

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:51 AM
http://www.mainegop.com/2012/01/maine-g-o-p-2012-caucus-information/

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:53 AM
So for these contests happening after FEB 11, I assume they are just not included in the "state-waide" strawpoll released on Feb 11?
Seems weird to release "results" before all the caucuses are held.

Right. The Maine GOP wants to have a media event, a fundraising event on Feb 11. So the results will be "up to that point". I have no idea how the media will treat the results.

http://www.mainegop.com/2012/01/maine-g-o-p-2012-caucus-information/

parocks
02-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Hancock

District 5

Gouldsboro, Hancock, Lamoine, Waltham, Sorrento, Sullivan, Winter Harbor, Fletcher’s Landing
February 18th, 10:00 A.M.
Hancock Grammar School (off Route 1)
Caucus Contact Person: Kathy Birdsall
Phone #: 460-1021

District 6

Aurora/Amherst, Eastbrook, Franklin, Mariaville, Osborn
February 18th, 1:00 P.M.
Eastbrook Municipal Office
959 Eastbrook Road, Eastbrook
Caucus Contact Person: Debbie Lockman
Phone #: 584-5900

Castine
March 3rd, 9:30 A.M.
Emerson Hall
Caucus Contact Person: Jinny Comiciotto
Phone #: 326-8340

Kennebec

Clinton
Saturday, February 18
10:00 A.M.
Clinton Town Office
E-Mail : roofwarrior@hotmail.com

Rome
February 16th, 6:30 P.M.
The home of Alan & Lynn Labelle (256 Jamaican Point Road)

AdamL
02-08-2012, 04:15 AM

population 1343.

Think we could rock the college votes here? I see there are a couple in Lewiston, Castine, and Portland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_Maine

parocks
02-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Think we could rock the college votes here? I see there are a couple in Lewiston, Castine, and Portland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_Maine

Some were discussing knocking on dorm doors today within a Minnesota context. The Minnesota caucus was 7pm.

Bowdoin is is Brunswick. Bates is in Lewiston.

For Bates - the caucus location is 1.4 miles from Bates. The caucus is at 9am. Saturday the 11th.
Bates college 2 Andrews Rd Lewiston, Maine 04240
Geiger Elementary School, 601 College Street, Lewiston, me

Will need transportation. Goal would be a van load or 2. It's been a while, but do schools have breakfasts at cafeterias? Have a bunch of people at the cafeteria
trying to get people on the van. 9am is early. For a 7pm, I would want to be in the doors. I would not want to be woken up in the dorms at 7 or 8 am and then asked to get in a van and drive 1.4 miles. It's a short enough ride - 5 minutes. Cafeteria, not dorms I would say.

For Bowdoin. 830am. same deal as Bates. really early.
cafeteria not dorms
Bowdoin college 5000 College station Brunswick, Maine 04011
Curtis Memorial Library
23 Pleasant Street Brunswick, Maine 04011

parocks
02-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Maine Maritime Academy in Castine. 800 students. March 3. 930 am.

We could say "hey, let's just get Maine Maritime Academy loving Ron Paul right now".

parocks
02-08-2012, 05:09 AM
http://www.facebook.com/events/232443056844254/

Bowdoin College - This Thursday Night - a big concert with 9 student bands and The Milkman's Union, one of the top indie bands in Maine.

http://www.facebook.com/bowdoinjacksgrill

AdamL
02-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Some were discussing knocking on dorm doors today within a Minnesota context. The Minnesota caucus was 7pm.

Bowdoin is is Brunswick. Bates is in Lewiston.

For Bates - the caucus location is 1.4 miles from Bates. The caucus is at 9am. Saturday the 11th.
Bates college 2 Andrews Rd Lewiston, Maine 04240
Geiger Elementary School, 601 College Street, Lewiston, me

Will need transportation. Goal would be a van load or 2. It's been a while, but do schools have breakfasts at cafeterias? Have a bunch of people at the cafeteria
trying to get people on the van. 9am is early. For a 7pm, I would want to be in the doors. I would not want to be woken up in the dorms at 7 or 8 am and then asked to get in a van and drive 1.4 miles. It's a short enough ride - 5 minutes. Cafeteria, not dorms I would say.

For Bowdoin. 830am. same deal as Bates. really early.
cafeteria not dorms
Bowdoin college 5000 College station Brunswick, Maine 04011
Curtis Memorial Library
23 Pleasant Street Brunswick, Maine 04011

Sounds like a plan to me. If you're in Maine and want to organize this on the ground, start a chip-in page and post it in the BUS THREAD (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?359287-Coordinate-GOTV.-Bus-college-kids-to-polls-in-WA-and-MI) and we'll donate the money to help you pay for the transportation you need.

parocks
02-08-2012, 05:19 AM
The Main Dining Hall at Bowdoin doesn't open until 11am on Saturday.
http://www.bowdoin.edu/dining/when-where/index.shtml
Moulton Union 9a sat

It appears that none of the dining halls will be open on Saturday when the polls open in Brunswick.

speciallyblend
02-08-2012, 05:26 AM
pfh is a disaster , all i ever hear is people getting called 6 or more times and repeatly. Not one voter tracker got anyone in my precinct to caucus. Hell after all my hard work going door to door . We got 10 people to caucus luckily 6 were for ron paul and 8 voted for me as a delegate, so i swayed one santorum and newt voter to vote for me. The problem is most view the gop as evil in my district including registered republicans!

Paul Or Nothing II
02-08-2012, 05:40 AM
I'm in Maine.

I voted already.

Its Now or Never.

Thanks for the inside scoop! :D

And for GOD SAKE if you know they are RP supporter AT THAT MOMENT help them identify the time of their caucus and location, and when they have to go and what they have to do. Don't just 'convert'/identify people and leave them. Caucuses are hella confusing. Most don't know when they are, where they are, and how they work. All of this you have to teach them before hand. Coming here and telling everyone how you 'converted' people doesn't mean you helped get votes. You just helped open people to Ron Paul, great, now help them cast that all important vote.

GOTV fails because when we find or convert people, we don't tell them anything about voting. We need to do this at the time of finding/converting them. Get their number or something, find out their caucus detail for them, call them and tell them. Don't just call and say 'please vote', they DON'T know where to, how to, and when to. All of this is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. This is how you get out the vote! Make sure they know when and where, and some basic details. And then you REMIND them of this. Unfortunately all this time we just call them 'phone from home' and say vote, but they don't know anything else. GOTV means you remind them. But we never even tell them where and when. Reminding means you have already told them this information before, and most of the time we haven't.. So PLEASE tell them this information before, and then a day before and on the day of the caucus you call them up and remind them, and make sure they know at what time they have to be there (door close so before that time) and where and when!!.

+1

Agreed. Technically, in order to be considered a candidate at the convention, Paul must win 5 states. So whether or not the plan is simply to amass delegates, Paul needs to start winning:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358988-This-is-it-guys!&p=4149480&viewfull=1#post4149480

I agree that this year is inspiring even if Paul doesn't win. As a longtime libertarian, it's exciting to see both Paul and Johnson doing big things on the national stage.

I think we'll definitely win 5 out of somewhere but we shouldn't put ourselves under pressure, by saying "we MUST win this state or that", we need to just keep working at it, keep getting DELEGATES & let's see where this thing goes - 5 out of 50 isn't a lot anyway. Let's see.

Also what's important is the number of people we've awoken to liberty, at the end of the day, if America is to return to its former glory then that's the most important thing, with so much youth-support, the long-term definitely looks good :)

parocks
02-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. If you're in Maine and want to organize this on the ground, start a chip-in page and post it in the BUS THREAD (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?359287-Coordinate-GOTV.-Bus-college-kids-to-polls-in-WA-and-MI) and we'll donate the money to help you pay for the transportation you need.

I'm not jumping at this just yet. For one, I'm seeing that Bowdoin dining halls (and there are at least a couple) do not even open until 9am on Saturday. Brunswick caucus starts at 830. I don't think anyone is going to be up and out at that time.

The question was asked "can we rock these locations". My response was a dispassionate response, an analysis. I'm not sure I would spend that transportation money at Bowdoin / Brunswick. Caucus 830 / First Dining hall 9a / Main dining hall 10a.

An early question was should we send money? And the best quick answer is yes, and that money should be sent to the county coordinator. There is no independent action team apart from the county that I've been able to see. I think I mentioned on another post that the counties seem busy with what they have planned with Feb 11 and before. And I have trouble seeing scenarios where finding a lot of people in the morning before the dining halls open will be easy.

I think the Hancock / Castine / Maine Maritime scenario might be the best way to go. You have everyone in Maine completely done. Except for this one tiny town with one not quite so tiny college. Everyone being done means a lot of people available to work on this project.

With something Feb 11, you're competing with the official campaign, the county, etc and what their needs for people are, and they do have needs for people. So, when you're looking at staffing, you're pulling someone away from the sign waving, or working at the table in the event, etc etc.

One specific thing I've tried to push, that seems to work, is Skowhegan on Thursday. It's 6pm. Right on the same block as the caucus in Skowhegan is a little pub, that happens to have a musical act playing at that time. No college, but there could be people at that bar, or people could be sent to that bar at 5 and moved to the caucus at 6.

But I think Hancock/Castine/Maine Maritime is likely the best scenario.

Tinnuhana
02-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Maine Maritime Academy: aren't they military-affiliated? Or were at one time?I had an interesting experience with black ice on the way out of MMA after a basketball game...just missed a mail box.

alucard13mmfmj
02-08-2012, 06:39 AM
does ron paul have any TV/radio ads in maine?