PDA

View Full Version : Can we win the Washington Caucus?

cornell
02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't really know anything about the political environment in Washington or the campaign's efforts there, but during the night of the Nevada Caucus when CNN was play-allocating states to candidates in order to "test" Newt's "new strategy" they gave every state to Romney except Washington, which they gave to Ron Paul. I figured CNN would NEVER promote Ron Paul without a reason, so I'm wondering what the people here know about it.

James Madison
02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Washington results from four years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=WA

joshnorris14
02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
There was about 12,000 votes in 2008, Ron Paul received 21%. If these low turnout trends continue, it would be an easy win.

sailingaway
02-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Maybe. It is on our maybe list.

cornell
02-07-2012, 11:53 PM

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/pri.../state/#val=WA

Is the primary meaningless? Looks like turnout is much higher for that than the caucus. Is it a "beauty contest" like in MO?

VictorB
We must win Washington. It is right before super Tuesday and we need that push going into it. A win by 10% or more would be a gift from the liberty gods.

RDM
It's going to have to take a hardcore grassroots effort to GOTV. Campaign has already proven they can't be trusted with this task.

ssjevot
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
There is no primary here in Washington this year, just a caucus. And I can already guarantee that in Seattle we're going to get at least double the votes we got last time.

Ekrub
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
We are certainly going to try :)

I'm feeling good based on the number of RP yard signs I see (Spokane)

ssjevot
02-07-2012, 11:55 PM
It's going to have to take a hardcore grassroots effort to GOTV. Campaign has already proven they can't be trusted with this task.

Don't worry I'm relying on myself for this, I work with the campaign, but I'm doing it my way, and making sure people get out and vote.

Ekrub
02-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Agreed. I'm dragging many people with me or getting them to go to their caucus. I have about 5 (maybe 6) people I know who are voting and am working on more.

Agorism
02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Last time we had the primary straw poll to distract people from the caucus.

They got rid of it.

seapilot
02-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Agreed. I'm dragging many people with me or getting them to go to their caucus. I have about 5 (maybe 6) people I know who are voting and am working on more.

Do they need to be registered republican or just a registered voter? I know some people there that I can probably convince if its an open caucus.

tsai3904
02-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Do they need to be registered republican or just a registered voter? I know some people there that I can probably convince if its an open caucus.

It's an open caucus, but make sure people are registered to vote.

Right now, people are allowed to register AT the caucus, BUT they will be voting on changing that soon and may require people to be registered to vote a week before.

centure7
02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
We must win Washington. It is right before super Tuesday and we need that push going into it. A win by 10% or more would be a gift from the liberty gods.Right. Either we win Washington #1 or our chances overall drop to next to nothing. I think even if we score a #1 in Maine we still need another #1 in Washington to give us enough momentum to do well on super Tuesday.

RPit
02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Well I can tell you the campaign is slow. I've signed up for being a Precinct leader and they still haven't given me any details, been a week. But I will say this..

I believe we will win, but I will only think we will lose UNTIL we win. I don't want to lose this state. and for some reason all this 'rising hopes', oh 'jump on our backs' only leads people to not try as hard as they should.

We need to contest every state as thinking we'd lose and try as hard as possible.

I think the campaign is doing something fundamentally wrong, which I've explained again and again, its not going aggressive on electability and going after Obama more. We will never become the anti-Romney because of campaign failure. No matter what the grassroots do, we will never be able to overcome this. Not because we can't, but because the campaign itself has failed us in this regards.

We can STILL pull it off, but only if the campaign gets its act together. I am very optimistic but I will not put blinders on. There is a lot of blame to be laid on the campaign AND grassroots.

cornell
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Last time we had the primary straw poll to distract people from the caucus.

They got rid of it.

Do you think this will increase turnout at the caucus and no longer make it a "4000-vote-to-win event?"

Taco John
02-08-2012, 12:23 AM
We'll win in Clark County, Washington. Count on us.

RPit
02-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Spokane County in WA is as good as ours I think :)

J_White
02-08-2012, 03:05 AM
keep it up Washington.
Maine and Washington can do us some good !

Karsten
02-08-2012, 03:08 AM

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=WA
Wow, we lost some close ones in 2008.