PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Immigration: worker laws, finding ways to dismiss Americans from jobs

drinkbleach
06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

I'll comment later.

RonPaul4President
06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Freaking MADNESS!

CurtisLow
06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
It seems like each week I find something new out, Like whats wrong in the US, like this BS

It's very discouraging to say the least.. Everyone in that company should be put in jail.

NewEnd
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
wow... just... wow.

RonPaul4President
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Where's the Justice Department? Where's law enforcement? Are they too being told to "stand down" like Pearl Harbor and NORAD for the Wolrd Trade Centers?

Bryan
06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
I think I'm going to puke.

Harald
06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
The man of system, on the contrary, is apt to be very wise in his own conceit, and is often so enamoured with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government, ... he seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chess-board; he does not consider that the pieces upon the chess-board have no other principle of motion besides that which the hand impresses upon them; but that, in the great chess-board of human society, every single piece has a principle of motion of its own, altogether different from that which the legislature might choose to impress upon it. -- Adam Smith. The Theory of Moral Sentiments, Part VI, Section II, Chapter 2

I think this shows futility of laws trying to prevent freedom of association and how people can game the system to overcome those laws.

Laywers are talking about getting a DOL approval for converting a person on H-1B (usually in high-tech) to a permanent resident. H1-Bs are limited to 3 years and can be extended to another 3 years after which a person should leave the US.

Now, if a person worked in a company for 6 years and is a good match, employer will try to retain him and get a permanent status. That is the time when the lawyers will perform the compliance requirements by playing tricks highlighted by this video.

So it is not about hiring a cheaper foreigner instead of a more expensive local. It is about retaining a highly skilled worker that will be otherwise booted out of the country after 6 years

dspectre
06-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Wow, isn't the United States such a great country! When I see things like this, I don't know what to think....

Oh I want Ron Paul to win.

Harald
06-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Guys/Gals get real.

That is how the system works. The video shows the absurdity of immigration laws. I understand that this is shocking for those who weren't expose to it.

What is more shocking that people who are trying to immigrate legally has to go through a decade of complying with various laws before they are eligible to become a citizen. (I am in 12th year already and not a citizen yet). Whereas if you enter the country illegaly you have faster and less expensive options.

lucky
06-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I hired and fired people for 15 years and never had to resort to this crap. Granted it has been 10 years since I was in that position but WTF?

Harald
06-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I hired and fired people for 15 years and never had to resort to this crap. Granted it has been 10 years since I was in that position but WTF?

Did you ever have to obtain a greencard for one of your employees if you wanted to keep him?

james1906
06-19-2007, 01:05 AM
is this for real? there's no way they'd tape this.

lucky
06-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Did you ever have to obtain a greencard for one of your employees if you wanted to keep him?

No and maybe 50% were foreign born. Not a lot of experienced Chemists around back then. If one had come to me and asked me to help them get a green card. I do remember writing a letter of recommendation for one once saying he was a good person and a good worker but I never would have gone through that much crap to keep one. I would have just hired another one.

Hell my Korean ex wife only took 7 years to get citizenship.

Harald
06-19-2007, 01:24 AM
If an employer wants to sponsor his employee for a greencard, he needs to prove that he is not able to find an american that can perform the job the foreigner is currently performing and that the salary you are offering is a prevailing for this occupation and this kind of job.

This is complicated and expensive process and to do that you frequently need to hire lawyers like the ones in this video.

Of course, if you can marry an american, then immigration is a piece of cake

mikelovesgod
06-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Lawyers helping America one more time. Is there any way to ban lawyers under the Constitution? LOL

oldpaths1611
06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Admin Note: Threads merged below here...

Just watch this.....

Someone once said America is an insane asylum run by the inmates. This video is further proof of that statement.

buffalokid777
06-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Just watch this.....

Someone once said America is an insane asylum run by the inmates. This video is further proof of that statement.

You are so wrong.....

If the asylum were run by the inmates.....the people in your posted video would be in jail for being traitors to the Republic of the United States Of America.....the people in the video you posted are traitors.....they belong in jail.

winston84
06-23-2007, 02:02 AM
This is outrageous!

SeanEdwards
06-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Here's a clip of another attorney from the same law firm on CNBC talking about how the shortage of American workers means there needs to be an expansion of H1-B visas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z40hZpWfYcc

It seems to me like this entire law firm is guilty of conspiring with their clients to violate the intent of the law. And if that isn't illegal it's surely unethical and I think they should probably be disbarred.

Think about it. This law firm is making lots of money from corporations by helping them bring in H1-B workers. Then they get their shiesters on TV news posing as unbiased experts to make the case for a critical need for more H1-B visas. :mad:

The H1-B visa workers make less than US workers, and its harder for them to leave the company because they are tied to the job by the visa. That's why the corporations want these guys, because they can treat these workers like well educated illegal farm workers. The company has all the power in the relationship.

Meanwhile hundred's of thousands of highly educated American citizens get to work in Walmart.

What we really need is to outsource these lawyers, some CEO's, and most of the government and see how they like it.

LibertyCzar
06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Immigration won't be really fixed as long as it supplies cheap labor and a voters. Meanwhile, we who are already here get squeezed from all sides. :mad:

Gary
06-23-2007, 09:27 PM
If an employer wants to sponsor his employee for a greencard, he needs to prove that he is not able to find an american that can perform the job the foreigner is currently performing and that the salary you are offering is a prevailing for this occupation and this kind of job.

This is complicated and expensive process and to do that you frequently need to hire lawyers like the ones in this video.

This is more of what I have seen. Big multinational company wants to transfer an employee to the USA. The person is uniquely qualified in part because the are already familiar with the company. The process is expensive and would be even without legal issues. Simply moving someone from Europe to the USA is plain expensive. This is NOT about getting cheaper labor, it is actually more expensive! Companies don't do this frequently as a result. But there is an awful lot of red tape and yes companies attempt to avoid it. (By the way, big companies are just as likely to transfer an employee out of the US as well. So the net delta is probably close to zero.)

There is no doubt we have schiztophrenic immigration laws that ultimately make it hard on everyone attempting to immigrate here. Part of the problem is a variety of interests groups pushing various agendas and part of the problem is that the real world evolves vastly faster than the government can.