PDA

View Full Version : CNN writes up Ron Paul interview by John King, re: election momentum and foreign policy

sailingaway
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/07/paul-on-quest-for-delegates-looks-past-tuesday-contests/#comment-4062742

on foreign policy:

Weighing in on the escalating violence in Syria, Paul said as president he would not advocate any American action in the troubled country unless Congress officially declared war.

"Well, that problem has been going on for many, many years, if not centuries," Paul said. "Bad governments. Look at what they did to communists. Killed hundreds of millions of people. So it's a tragedy, it happens in Africa all the time. But I'm not representing those countries as a congressman and as a president. I represent the United States. And I don't think it's a wise thing to get involved in the civil war that's going on in Syria."

Paul said tensions in Syria were tragic, but that hot spots would always pop up around the globe and the United States would never be able to patrol them all.

"I think it's none of our business," Paul said. "I think it's a tragedy, but I can point out many tragedies, many folds greater than this, but it's not in American interests."

ChrisDixon
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
The war drums are beating very heavily now for Syria. I've had an ongoing debate with a good friend of mine, a former Huntsman and current Paul supporter, about Syria.

This is a great answer by Paul. Not "I won't ever go", but "if Congress declares war" and then correctly states that while it's a human tragedy, we're not going to make it go away.