PDA

View Full Version : Rules regarding web advertising donations

Ack
11-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm a Ron Paul supporter who also happens to own a high traffic website. I'd love to stick an RP banner at the top of the site, but I'm not sure how the FEC rules apply to this. The cost of this advertising if sold would be well above the individual donation limit. Is it ok if it's outside of the regular areas where we sell advertising and is billed as part of the content of the site instead?

I see that www.tinyURL.com has done something like this (upper-right corner).

Can anyone give advice about this or point me to some resources?

JoshLowry
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't think an endorsement really counts as advertising dollars.

When people with big names endorse a president that is worth a lot of value. Celebrities are not limited by the FEC depending on how popular they are and how much press is received from an endorsement. I'm not a lawyer but I would think it would be fine to publicly support him.

Ack
11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the input. My website is owned by a company (that is 100% owned by me), so that may complicate things. I'm going to continue researching this and also keep an eye on how things play out with the USA Today ad.

MsDoodahs
11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't have the answer for you, but wanted to welcome you!

:)

ronpaulhawaii
11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I have fwd'd your question to a Lawyer I know. He is quit busy so I may have to send again... If no resaponse I can try two more but this guy is the top notch kind.

Welcome to the forum...

m

ashevillejerry
11-20-2007, 03:59 AM
Ask for the information division.

If it were a personal website, it would be fine. A commercial site makes things muddier. The ownership structure might complicate it even more.

If you avoid all express advocacy, and only advertised issues, you'd be fine.

Yours in Liberty,

Jerry
RonPaulMax.com (http://www.ronpaulmax.com)