PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich If Newt drops?

Darthbrooklyn
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
If Newt takes a beating tonight and/or Super Tuesday and he finally comes to his senses and drops, where do all his delegates go?

Short of a win for RP, Newt getting his ass kicked in would be the next best thing. Santorum would then be fully vetted and people will finally see he cant win, then that leaves RP and Romney.

Student Of Paulism
02-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Newt isn't going anywhere, dude, people need to understand that. He already said he isn't just a few days ago in a speech after NV. The guy has access to endless funds from all the elites and all of his super rich buddies in the CFR and AIPAC, and other corrupt PACs out there. He is 100%, a home cooked, poster boy illuminist operative and has been since the second he stepped foot into politics. The only way he would drop out is if he crashed to the bottom of the barrel in the polls, and that is nowhere close to happening right now. Candidates like him anyway can revive themselves at any time too, unlike the others who dont have the pull that he does. 1st he was nowhere, then he surged, then he crashed, then he surged again...now he is somewhat slipping, but nowhere near enough. But yea, he is staying in till the end, so get used to it.

Darthbrooklyn
02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I hear what youre saying , but people like Sheldon Adelson arent going to keep dropping millions on a losing horse. Adelson even said he would consider supporting Romney.. add to that getting beat tonight and super tues, which is possible.., if the math doesnt work, the math doesnt work. No matter how egomaniacal you are.

CaptUSA
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Newt answers to the question, "what's in it for Newt?"

Right now, he has more to gain by staying in, but as soon as that needle points the other way, he'll get out. It doesn't matter what he's said in the past or how much he hates Romney. As soon as he figures he has more to lose by staying in, he's gone.

The problem is that the only candidate with the resources to give something to Newt is Romney. That means, Newt will stay in as long as Romney wants him to stay in. Newt probably doesn't understand this fact, but Romney's camp understands Newt's motivations. If Newt were to drop right now, it may help Santorum enough to pose a problem for Romney - they wouldn't want that. Romney's camp will allow Newt to be Newt and reap the benefits.

Cleaner44
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Newt is committed to protecting the GOP establishment. He will not drop out and allow Ron to gain traction vs Romney.

Darthbrooklyn
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Look, its becoming quite clear that the main motivation for most voters is their perception that a candidate can beat Obama.. nothing else matters to todays common voter.. If newt drops, santy becomes the new non-romney, after 2 or 3days, people will realize he cant really beat Obama, then move to the last 2, Paul and Romney.

Ronulus
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
He is in this just to ensure that Romney gets the nomination, he will not back out.

thoughtomator
02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Newt answers to the question, "what's in it for Newt?"

Book sales

Darthbrooklyn
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Ok, can someone answer my question anyway please.. IF newt dropped today, where woudl his delegates go.. ?

Ronulus
02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Ok, can someone answer my question anyway please.. IF newt dropped today, where woudl his delegates go.. ?

Depends on who the delegates are. I'm not sure in the case of SC.

V3n
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Newt is committed to protecting the GOP establishment. He will not drop out and allow Ron to gain traction vs Romney.

I think this is the case. Back in the 80's he was a surrogate campaigner for a recent Democrat converted to Republican in Ron Paul's district just to keep Ron Paul out (Ron Paul won!). But that is the lengths this man will go to to keep Ron Paul from winning.

RDM
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM

According to the RNC rules and I'm not doing this verbatim, but any candidate that drops out has a few options with accumulated delegates.
1. They can declare themselves fully endorsing one of the remaining candidates and transfer their delegates to that candidate.
2. If a "new" candidate would get into the race, they can endorse that candidate and transfer their delegates to the new candidate giving that new candidate instant delegate count.
3. I'm not sure about this one completely, but I think he can sit on his delegates and hope for a voice in a brokered convention.

AngryCanadian
02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Book sales
Yup.

Nathan Hale
02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
The candidate who we want to drop is Santorum.

seapilot
02-07-2012, 03:47 PM
As soon as Newts campaign looks like its on the ropes he will leave it for a prettier younger more gullible campaign.

Cleaner44
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
As soon as Newts campaign looks like its on the ropes he will leave it for a prettier younger more gullible campaign.

+rep for opportunist

ChrisDixon
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Logically, should Newt drop out? Absolutely.

Realistically, will Newt drop out? Absolutely not.

Newt's poor ego would be bruised if he left. Thus, he's here, if for anything else, his personal vendetta and for the purpose of his own ego.

Student Of Paulism
02-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I think this is the case. Back in the 80's he was a surrogate campaigner for a recent Democrat converted to Republican in Ron Paul's district just to keep Ron Paul out (Ron Paul won!). But that is the lengths this man will go to to keep Ron Paul from winning.

I think that was when Ron came back in the mid 90s from his medical practice. A lot of people don't realize this fact, and it proves how much bad blood Newt and Ron have had over the years, long before this election. Everything Ron has always stood for is a gigantic road block for Newt and he has always tried pushing aside Ron for a long time. He even got HW Bush back then to campaign against Ron in that elections, and like you said, he still lost lol. They may 'play nice' in public, have laughs during debates, but i am certain Ron loathes Newt quite a bit.

Darthbrooklyn
02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Ok so now that Newt got his ass handed to him last night, what are your thoughts on Newt dropping? Im thinking he at least hangs in till super tues.

FreedomProsperityPeace
02-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm not holding my breath for any of them dropping out. I thought for sure Santorum would be gone after Florida at the latest, and here he is winning states and getting $400k in 2 days. :rolleyes: This is the screwiest campaign season ever. Nothing makes sense.