PDA

View Full Version : My report from the Philly Rally!

Sematary
11-12-2007, 01:08 PM
November 10, 2007 started out rainy and cold. As we made our way from Connecticut to go to the rally, we worried about the number of people who would turn out on a such a day in mid November for a speech by Ron Paul. The weather, in fact, was our biggest concern. We need not have been concerned…
The chill in the air was enough to send shivers down the spine at times, as we waited in the mall outside of Independence Mall. Low hung gray clouds blanked out the sun from horizon to horizon and the temperature seemed to drop lower as the afternoon began but that didn’t stop throngs of Ron Paul supporters from descending on Independence Mall in wave after wave of sign waving enthusiasm. A lone bugle played in another portion of the mall, as a veteran of the Vietnam war paid tribute to his fallen comrades on Veterans Day weekend. In fact, veterans could be seen all over the mall as they showed up to pay tribute to their fallen comrades and to those who have fallen in other wars throughout the history of America.
Playing on stage was Rocky Lynne, the country singer. The music seemed like that of the pied piper, calling to supporters and non-supporters alike, to come and listen to history in the making. A grassroots driven rally the likes of which has never been seen was in the process of coming together and weather be damned, it was going to be the biggest event of it’s kind, ever. Following on the success of the November 5th money bomb, this event was bound to garner even more media attention…
CNN streamed the rally live as did The People’s Radio Network and GCN. ABC, CBS and the local FOX affiliate were all in attendance as were The New York Times and other print media and, of course, the ever present bloggers.
None of those present were disappointed. After a few short speeches by other speakers, it was finally time for Ron Paul to take his rightful place at the podium and rally the troops and RALLY THE TROOPS he did! The speech he gave was amazing in it’s eloquence. He was in stride throughout with very few points where he seemed to be searching for just the right word to describe what he believed. The speech was frequently broken up by chants of “Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul”. It was said in the press that the crowd could be heard blocks away in downtown Philadelphia. It is no wonder – THOUSANDS of people showed up in frigid temperatures to hear Ron Paul speak. Not only were the hardcore supporters there but also people who had only been introduced to him that very day through rally slimjims.
Those in attendance included the very young and the very old. College students and mill workers were in attendance as were veterans and anti-war activists and middle class Americans, looking for a change in the “politics as usual” type of America we have grown accustomed to. There were Democrats and Republicans and Libertarians and Constitutionalists – all sharing the same dream – a dream of a free America and they all saw something in the one man they believe can deliver that dream to them – Ron Paul.
The mall, recently covered in grass and re-landscaped was packed from one side to the other and from front to back. The number in attendance easily exceeded 3000 patriots who were out in less than desirable weather to hear and cheer the message of freedom, liberty and integrity that we should be able to expect from all of our elected officials but rarely receive. The crowd was not disappointed and as the final words of Ron Paul’s speech resonated off the walls of the concrete jungle surrounding Independence Mall a plea went out to the crowd from a supporter from Connecticut to march through the streets. This plea was heard by a couple of hundred supporters and braving the cold, they marched through the streets of Philadelphia, signs held high, and chanted the name of their political hero – RON Paul.

Bob Larkin

skiingff
11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Good story :-)

Thanks for help putting this together.

Sematary
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Good story :-)

Thanks for help putting this together.

I think, coming on the heels of the nov 5 money bomb, that it was even more successful as a media tool than it might otherwise have been. :D

joshuastjohn
11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Last week will be a difficult week to top. Thanks for all of your hard work to make the rally happen.

jaybone
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
I was there,
it was great,
my girlfriend never saw me cry before.
She is now a Ron supporter.

Sematary
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I was there,
it was great,
my girlfriend never saw me cry before.
She is now a Ron supporter.

It was an amazing day, for sure.

Question_Authority
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Are there any pictures of the crowd from an elevated position? So we can see the immensity of it? What about a good video? The only ones I have seen were shaky. Nothing professional.

Anybody?

Desperate in NH...

Sematary
11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Are there any pictures of the crowd from an elevated position? So we can see the immensity of it? What about a good video? The only ones I have seen were shaky. Nothing professional.

Anybody?

Desperate in NH...

How about this one?
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1957558327&size=o

mrd
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
How about this one?
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1957558327&size=o
Bah, that's still only perhaps half of the crowd. A helicopter briefly flew over at one point, I wonder if they took any pics.

specsaregood
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Bah, that's still only perhaps half of the crowd. A helicopter briefly flew over at one point, I wonder if they took any pics.

That pic isn't even half, more like 1/3 at most. IIRC the helicopter was a medical helicopter so I doubt they took a picture.

crhoades
11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Not the best but I stitched 2 photos together from my camera phone. It is facing the Constitution Center. I was near the media podium.

http://lh6.google.com/crhoades/RziwZmgbnPI/AAAAAAAAAFs/A0V9-ffuahE/s800/CrowdStitched.jpg

rpfreedom08
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
there where so many youtubers there I'm surprised there isn't more footage??? I know I was there passing out slimjims and talking politics till I was blue in the face :) maybe that was the cold weather, lol. It was fun and really got inspired as the atmosphere is nothing short of electric when you get alot of Ron Paul supporters together in one spot. I LOVE THESE PEOPLE! Smiles on everyone’s faces and hope in everyone’s eyes......truly an amazing spectacle.

edit: perhaps the funniest moments came when that guy in the back kept yelling "FREEDOM".

edit number 2: oh yeah and that guy all the way to the right has some big ass gauge earings :) I would see him from time to time and just think damn! I've seen some large guage but that takes the cake, rofl.