PDA

View Full Version : How to GOTV at College Campuses: Bus Pickup?

blackbird12
02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Our meetup is kicking around the idea of chartering a bus on the day of the CA primary. We would go to various college campuses at set times, and bus people from the dorms to the appropriate polling place. In preparation, we'd setup a table on campus in the coming months, promoting RP, getting people registered, and letting them know about the bus pickup.

Has anyone tried this before, and if so, was it a success?

eleganz
02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Our meetup is kicking around the idea of chartering a bus on the day of the CA primary. We would go to various college campuses at set times, and bus people from the dorms to the appropriate polling place. In preparation, we'd setup a table on campus in the coming months, promoting RP, getting people registered, and letting them know about the bus pickup.

where do you live in CA? if you live in LA, you should coordinate with us, send me a PM.

nedomedo
02-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Great idea, best one so far. How can I help? I am in Vegas...

I wouldn't mind donating to help out. Set up a chip in.

Would you rent the buses or what?

carterm
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
it is a good idea

Maximus
02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I know SDSU has precincts right on campus, so do a bit of research and make sure you aren't busing people 20 feet. Love the idea though! This is what wins elections!

roversaurus
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Absentee ballot.
In Indiana my kids in college missed voting because they were *away* at college on voting day. They did not get an absentee ballot. They could NOT vote at college because they were not registered to vote there.

Is Minnesota any different? That means what we might have to do is DRIVE these kids an HOUR or more to their home districts in the middle of the day AROUND their class schedules AND drive them back.

KingNothing
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM

I love this idea.