PDA

View Full Version : [Media] Clint Eastwood Ad

MikeStanart
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
What do ya'll think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PE5V4Uzobc

RickyJ
02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
It is way past half-time in America. We got less than a minute on the clock and the other team has the ball and we are down by 100 points.

NidStyles
02-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Meh, it's a sales pitch.

nobody's_hero
02-05-2012, 08:17 PM
When I saw both that advertisement and the Chevy one, all I could think of were the bailouts. Hell, our tax dollars were probably used to air the Chevy ad, for sure.

Does anyone else get that way when they see automobile commercials? I just end up thinking to myself, "Oh yeah, that's the company I swore I'd never do business with again."

And General Electric taking credit for helping make Budweiser beer was . . . odd. I hate Government Electric but I'm not ready to punish Budweiser for making a commercial with them.

moderate libertarian
02-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I saw that ad during half time. While I commend Det Auto companies to make an ad that could cause some people to reflect and the spirit behind it to look to future, I don't think we can afford to pretend that we are now past "blame and discord" phase as ad advocates. I assumed "one punch" in the ad referred to recent war conflict costs ( 9/11, Iraq invasion etc) but those costs continue to mount as we speak. Need for "blame and discord" is as great today as it was in 2003 before Iraq blunder or the day we decided to be patron of foreign occupations/oppressions, parasite welfare states, dictators in mideast. Supporting such oppression and interventions is no longer profitable for our economy and time to blame same ongoing policies is today as it was yesterday.

I liked Clint in the blame mode a tad bit better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhSSD8jI8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhSSD8jI8o

SB today lacks energy and bit dull, halftime show by notorious neocon madonna was also lame.

Best part of the Super Bowl today so far has been national anthem sung by Kelly Clarkson.

Luciconsort
02-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Detroit had decades to better the processes... make a better quality, more fuel efficient vehicle.... but nooooooo. Now they are gonna build their future on the backs of our grandchildren, and most American cars still suck ass.

seraphson
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
What the hell was that? Giving a false pretense because some famous Americana old timer bad ass says "oh things will get better just because". Much like his acting career this was just another "show"; nothing real or promising about it.

smithtg
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
anyone get the feeling that Obama had some say in the ads tonight? The GE ad, the chevy ad, and a few others tried to paint some rosy picture for this bankrupt country. Huge TV audience, most barely able to read, but man with football and Amerika they can do bigger things!

No Free Beer
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Stop being so cynical.

No shit we disagree with the bailouts and GM will prob go down the tube again.

But, the commercial had a very positive feel to it.

Embrace it.

Lets do this for Ron. Lets do this for ourselves. Lets do this for America.

Boss
02-05-2012, 09:15 PM
I despise this ad. It makes me cringe to watch it.

First, lets keep politics out of advertisements during sporting events, shall we? What exactly was America's "first half"? Does America's "first half" have license to ignore the Iraq war, during which many of our fellow citizens in the military were killed? I don't think that is analogous to a football game and its disgusting to make the comparison.

All of the "we pulled together" code language surfacing again; sound familiar? (SOTU)

This ad achieves the purpose of entrenching a certain type of political dialect in the mind of the average citizen who knows nothing about politics, so when they hear 3 second sound bytes of Obama talking about "we all have to pull together" they will not question what he means by this.

I hate this ad. It is emblematic of the problem.

moderate libertarian
02-05-2012, 09:15 PM
anyone get the feeling that Obama had some say in the ads tonight? The GE ad, the chevy ad, and a few others tried to paint some rosy picture for this bankrupt country. Huge TV audience, most barely able to read, but man with football and Amerika they can do bigger things!

NBC is also neocon central and not just CBS, Obama's fluff interview couple of hours before Super Bowl seem creation of same neocon team.

Obama's masters are some of the worst and most plaotting media savy scums that have ever existed in politics.

georgiaboy
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
When I saw both that advertisement and the Chevy one, all I could think of were the bailouts. Hell, our tax dollars were probably used to air the Chevy ad, for sure.

Does anyone else get that way when they see automobile commercials? I just end up thinking to myself, "Oh yeah, that's the company I swore I'd never do business with again."

And General Electric taking credit for helping make Budweiser beer was . . . odd. I hate Government Electric but I'm not ready to punish Budweiser for making a commercial with them.

Pretty much where I landed. IIRC, Ford isn't listed as one of the car companies at the end of Clint's "halftime in America" ad, correct? Wonder why? eta: just re-watched. It was a Chrysler ad, that's why. nvm. But yeah, I thought "bailouts".

"Halftime in America" translates to "midway between Obama's first and second terms". Propaganda writ large.

Lothario
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Go Amuurica!!! #1

cstarace
02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

First, lets keep politics out of advertisements during sporting events, shall we? What exactly was America's "first half"? Does America's "first half" have license to ignore the Iraq war, during which many of our fellow citizens in the military were killed? I don't think that is analogous to a football game and its disgusting to make the comparison.

All of the "we pulled together" code language surfacing again; sound familiar? (SOTU)

This ad achieves the purpose of entrenching a certain type of political dialect in the mind of the average citizen who knows nothing about politics, so when they hear 3 second sound bytes of Obama talking about "we all have to pull together" they will not question what he means by this.

Jesus Christ. Sometimes I feel like Ron Paul supporters have nothing better to do than just complain. Over-analyzing, much?

The advertisement is not about politics. It's about our country and the comeback of the American automakers, in this case Chrysler (who, bailout or not, has rebounded extremely well). Ron Paul has always been explicit in separating America from Washington and the politicians. Yes, America has gone through a rough period recently (and unfortunately will continue to do so), Americans are scared, are uncertain about the future, have been divided. None of that was untrue.

Chrysler is not owned by the US government anymore, not even 1%. So to draw some sort of parallel between the SOTU and Obama and this Chrysler ad is completely ridiculous.

Boss
02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Jesus Christ. Sometimes I feel like Ron Paul supporters have nothing better to do than just complain. Over-analyzing, much?

Fallacy #1 - Ad hominem. Your opening intends to discredit my statement by grouping me together with other Ron Paul supporters that you think have the negative attribute of "nothing better to do than complain." In arguments/debates/discussions, stick to addressing the points and refrain from ad hominem (although if your only exposure to debate/discussion is cable news, you will see ad hominem attacks all the time and therefore probably adopt it as your arguing style).

The advertisement is not about politics. It's about our country and the comeback of the American automakers, in this case Chrysler (who, bailout or not, has rebounded extremely well).

Fallacy #2 - Straw Man. I never said the advertisement is about politics--yet you attack my statement as if it is what I said. I intimated that the advertisement contains a political undertone by stating "lets keep politics out of our sports ads." You plainly state "the advertisment is not about politics"--you're right, its about car manufacturers. But can you support the claim that the advertisement does not contain a political undertone? If you can make this claim, I'd be curious to see how you define "political."

Ron Paul has always been explicit in separating America from Washington and the politicians.

Ron Paul is also against absolutism, although you have no problem tossing around the word "always" when describing Dr. Paul. Furthermore, I doubt Dr. Paul supports what you just said. America elects its politicians and America must suffer the consequences of doing so. To categorically separate the two is to ignore how our "democracy" works. Additionally, politicians are Americans also, are they not? By the same token, I think Dr. Paul does not hold the American people accountable for the corruption of Washington and the politicians, and I think he is critical of our current system of government, but that in no way implies that he (or anyone) categorically separates America from America's politicians; the two are fatefully intertwined.

Yes, America has gone through a rough period recently (and unfortunately will continue to do so), Americans are scared, are uncertain about the future, have been divided. None of that was untrue.

I fail to see the point of this statement. I don't think anyone in the US would disagree with this (except about your prediction that the US "will continue to do so."

Chrysler is not owned by the US government anymore, not even 1%. So to draw some sort of parallel between the SOTU and Obama and this Chrysler ad is completely ridiculous.

And your 3rd fallacy. You imply it is "completely ridiculous" to "draw some sort of parallel between the SOTU and Obama and this Chrysler ad" -- and your reasoning is simply because "Chrysler is not owned by the US government anymore." Why does it necessarily follow that because the government doesn't own Chrysler, that there can't be "some sort of parallel" between the words Obama used in the SOTU and the words Chrysler used in its ad? This is precisely the nature of Crony Capitalism--the blurred relationship between "free" corporations and lawmakers, which benefits both, at the expense of the people. Beyond the fact that I provided enough evidence to call your presupposition into doubt (the similar language that I pointed out in my original post), you haven't provided sufficient reason to prove otherwise beyond your own speculation, padded with Gingrich-esque descriptive words to help drive your point home. I candidly find myself distraught with disagreement at the absurd notion of the unbelievable rhetoric which you just carelessly spewed in my general vicinity.

Pauls' Revere
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM

After the bailouts I vowed that I nor my childrens children will ever purchase an American made car. F**K U GM!

Vessol
02-06-2012, 12:12 AM

My thoughts entirely. It's well-past halftime. Infact I'd argue that we've gone into overtime past when the game was actually supposed to end. And if Ron Paul doesn't score the winning goal, America is finished.

Alawn
02-06-2012, 12:47 AM
After the bailouts I vowed that I nor my childrens children will ever purchase an American made car. F**K U GM!

Ford didn't take the bailout. Part of the reason I got one.

John F Kennedy III
02-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Detroit had decades to better the processes... make a better quality, more fuel efficient vehicle.... but nooooooo. Now they are gonna build their future on the backs of our grandchildren, and most American cars still suck ass.

Toyota Tundra! (2007)

Mckarnin
02-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Honestly this seems like a thinly veiled political nod to Obama and the bailouts they received using our tax dollars. I guess "no political ads during the super bowl" really means kiss ass discreetly.

CaptainAmerica
02-06-2012, 01:54 AM
When the commercial was on during the game I turned to my uncle and my mom and dad,and my sister and I said "Its beyond half time,especially if we don't have a gold standard to back our dollars worthless value".

CaptainAmerica
02-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Heres the extended commercial cut at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvigK8SIdHQ

Clint eastwood reached for his m1 garand and loaded it.

CaptUSA
02-06-2012, 06:31 AM
How the halftime (in America) speech should have gone.

"It's halftime in America. We started out this game strong and ran up the score. I guess we thought we could run the clock out. And because of that, we let our coaches call some really stupid plays. In fact, our coaches seem to be calling plays against us, the players. Hell, if it were up to the coaches, this game would already be over. We let them get us far far away from our original gameplan and now we're paying the price. Not only have we lost our lead, we've dug ourselves a huge hole. Sure, there will be some telling you that this hole is too deep and we'll never be able to dig out of it. I say that's bullshit! We can win this thing if we get back to our original gameplan. That gameplan made us the best team in the league. That gameplan allowed us to run up the score. It's time we take this game on our shoulders and fire our coaches. Except for one. Only Coach Paul understands that old gameplan. Hell, he may be the only coach who has even read it! Don't give up team! We got this! Here comes the comeback!"

Liberty74
02-06-2012, 07:02 AM

That's why I drive a Honda. Well, besides the fact I work for them. Even if I didn't, I would never buy American. Ford has stepped up their game if anyone likes American cars and buy into that "buy America" propaganda.

Bruno
02-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Check out USA Today. It is a full front page ad.

musicmax
02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
I hate Government Electric but I'm not ready to punish Budweiser for making a commercial with them.

You'd rather punish yourself by drinking Bud?

oyarde
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Probably an effecetive Chrysler ad , but , yeah , just looking at the CBO numbers , the debt , the lack of fortitude to cut spending , the un funded liabilities , we are way past halftime . I like my F 150. My brother is on the road , maybe four days a week for his job , in a rental car , he likes that new Chrysler 300 .

Zippyjuan
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I liked the positive attitude of the ad. Nice to see some optimism about the future instead of all the pessimism which has been dominating.

Reminded me of the Reagan campaign ad "Morning In America".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-IBF8nwSY

blabam
02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I LOL'ed at the "detroit showed us it can be done part" hahaha

amonasro
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Paid for by the American taxpayer.

bolil
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Wait, won't the second half end too? Tooooo gloooomy.

Matthew5
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Half time implies we're fighting another team? Who is on which side, I wonder? What do we win?

nobody's_hero
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
You'd rather punish yourself by drinking Bud?

I like any beer, particularly the stuff that strips paint, but I judging by a quick glance in my fridge, Miller is what I drink the most of, lol

Plus I have to give Bud props for the 'prohibition' ad. It was kind of cheesy but not much gets said about prohibition anymore (at least not by those who refuse to admit that it failed) and I'm glad that alcohol made a comeback.

Who can say where Chrysler would be today if the government hadn't showed favoritism by giving them a bailout? Who might be in Chrysler's place, doing a better job?

It's a slap in the face of free-market capitalism when government essentially gives money to a company and takes it back later when the company no longer needs it. That sounds like a pretty sweet deal that most businessmen would love to get offered, but only those who have connections in Washington could pull it off.

They'll keep the giants alive, and destroy millions of smaller companies in the process, since the smaller companies cannot compete with companies that the government thinks are "too big to fail".

1000-points-of-fright
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Half time? Alright! We've got 236 years left!

Peace&Freedom
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
How the halftime (in America) speech should have gone.

"It's halftime in America. We started out this game strong and ran up the score. I guess we thought we could run the clock out. And because of that, we let our coaches call some really stupid plays. In fact, our coaches seem to be calling plays against us, the players. Hell, if it were up to the coaches, this game would already be over. We let them get us far far away from our original gameplan and now we're paying the price. Not only have we lost our lead, we've dug ourselves a huge hole. Sure, there will be some telling you that this hole is too deep and we'll never be able to dig out of it. I say that's bullshit! We can win this thing if we get back to our original gameplan. That gameplan made us the best team in the league. That gameplan allowed us to run up the score. It's time we take this game on our shoulders and fire our coaches. Except for one. Only Coach Paul understands that old gameplan. Hell, he may be the only coach who has even read it! Don't give up team! We got this! Here comes the comeback!"

Except for the expletive, this would have been a superlative Superbowl ad for Ron Paul! Especially if Eastwood had endorsed Paul.

oyarde
02-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Half time? Alright! We've got 236 years left! Being a bit optimistic today , I see :)

WilliamC
02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I think we're a lot closer to the endgame than the halftime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlOxiwGLAkY

Lucille
02-07-2012, 04:47 PM
ZH: Yes, It Is Halftime In America (http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/yes-it-halftime-america)

And Clint Eastwood certainly did not mean to endorse Obama during the commercial. The following is what Eastwood told Fox News about the ad....

"I just want to say that the spin stops with you guys, and there is no spin in that ad. On this I am certain.

l am certainly not politically affiliated with Mr. Obama. It was meant to be a message about just about job growth and the spirit of America. I think all politicians will agree with it. I thought the spirit was OK."

The cold, hard reality of the matter is that America has not "bounced back" since 2008. Sadly, the truth is that we are even in worse condition than we were back then....

-Our national debt has risen by about 50 percent since 2008.

-Our states are in more debt than ever.

-Our local governments are in more debt than ever.

-The U.S. economy has lost about 6 million jobs since 2008.

-Approximately 14 million more Americans have gone on food stamps since Barack Obama became president.

-More Americans are living in poverty than ever before.

-New home sales in the United States hit a brand new all-time record low during 2011.

-The number of "long-term unemployed workers" has more than doubled since Barack Obama entered the White House.

-The amount of money that the federal government gives directly to Americans has increased by 32 percent since Barack Obama entered the White House.

-Despite claims that things are "getting better", the truth is that the percentage of Americans that actually have jobs is almost exactly the same as it was two years ago.
[...]
Since it is "halftime in America", now is the time to get prepared for the next great financial crisis.

Now is the time to reduce your expenses.

Now is the time to get out of debt.

Now is the time to set aside some money so that you will have something to live on if you do happen to lose your job. I typically recommend that you have at least 6 months of living expenses stored up.

Now is the time to start a side business. Even if you are broke, there are some businesses out there that you can start up for no money. It isn't easy to start a business with no money, but it can be done.

Now is the time to grow a garden. Fruits and vegetables are often some of the most expensive items at the grocery store, and by growing them yourself you become less dependent on the system.

And that is the key. We all want to try to become less dependent on the system.

There is no guarantee that your job will always be there.

There is no guarantee that your insurance company or the financial institutions that you are working with today will always be there.

There is no guarantee that the government will be there "to save you" when you really need it.

Yes, it is halftime in America.

So get ready for the second half, because it is going to be a real nightmare.

Tudo
02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
So, "libertarian" eastwood supportes herman caine and then says Ron is as good as anybody therby lumping him in with the other liars in the gop and this is a sign of something?

I'd like to make his day. A simple montage of his support for that lowlife caine while he's claiming to be a libertarian and then the last part.