PDA

View Full Version : A full page ad in USA Today

IHaveaDream
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
What do you think it would cost?

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Which page # it was on would be a determining factor.

Johncjackson
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
A lot. I used to run small ads buried in that back that cost hundreds of dollars. I forget what a Full Page cost ( and I'm sure it's gone up).

It might not be TOO much though.

StumbleBum7
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
a Full page add got a lot of media attention for Gore... may give him more days in the spotlight in the media

JMann
11-12-2007, 12:31 PM
National, color ad weekday rate: $168,600 Friday $205,605. There are regional rates and insert rates too but those are based on the circulation reach in the region.

http://www.usatoday.com/media_kit/usatoday/ai_rates_full_circulation.htm

llepard
11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
National, color ad weekday rate: $168,600 Friday $205,605. There are regional rates and insert rates too but those are based on the circulation reach in the region.

Black and white is cheaper. Also, there are discounts for political advertisements and if you do not come in via an advertising agency.

Also, there are discounts if you are flexible on your day selection. Friday is the most expensive day.

I just committed to run a full page B&W nationwide on the Tues or Wed before Thanksgiving.

Send me a PM and I will tell you the cost.

L

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Not to change the subject, but a full page ad in Time magazine is 77,000.00 (B&W), and 120,000.00 (color).

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Would a full page ad in time magazine be worth consideration. High readership, and coffee table longevity... I know in other threads a full page minimalistic black and white ad was discussed to promote Ron Paul and Dec. 16. I'm sure the press would pick up on it, and although expensive, it it considerably cheaper than ad in USA Today, New york Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post or similar. Food for thought?

austin356
11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
What would be smart would be to do it on Dec. 17th or 18th. We will already be receiving much media attention that day and the effectiveness of the advertising would be several fold greater do to the basic campaigning 101 principal of multiple mediums within a short period of time achieves a several times greater effect than multiple mediums over a more spread out period of time.

We should hit the Des Moines Register, Boston Globe, Union Ledger, The Eagle-Tribune (Wyoming), The State (SC), and LV Sun all with a full page spreads with color on Dec. 17th and 18th.

Anyone know how much it would cost to do the above?

JMann
11-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Personally at this time in the campaign I would rather see more ads placed in Iowa, NH and SC than in national publications. Without doing well in these 3 states there is no need to even plan a national campaign until Paul announces his run as an independent. If he does do well there will be a flood of money to buy nationally and spend big bucks in 2/5 states.

Grandson of Liberty
11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Remember that every rally we hold, every event we "sign bomb" is potentially free advertising on the front page!!!

chestertime
11-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Personally at this time in the campaign I would rather see more ads placed in Iowa, NH and SC than in national publications. Without doing well in these 3 states there is no need to even plan a national campaign until Paul announces his run as an independent. If he does do well there will be a flood of money to buy nationally and spend big bucks in 2/5 states.

then why not a full page paper ad in those states most popular papers (or in the USA Today's regions that cover those states?)

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
What would be smart would be to do it on Dec. 17th or 18th. We will already be receiving much media attention that day and the effectiveness of the advertising would be several fold greater do to the basic campaigning 101 principal of multiple mediums within a short period of time achieves a several times greater effect than multiple mediums over a more spread out period of time.

Not a bad idea, but would it not be more effective to increase hype prior to Dec. 16, thereby multiplying the awareness of potential donors and generating more money. Following on your suggestion, what about an ad both prior and subsequent to the "bomb" in the same publication with a clever woven theme.

austin356
11-12-2007, 01:18 PM
then why not a full page paper ad in those states most popular papers (or in the USA Today's regions that cover those states?)

Now theres an idea:D:D:D Ok dont want to further the stupidity with bombs and crap so I will refrain from calling it such but does anyone think targeting all these papers in important states is a good idea?

We should hit the Des Moines Register, Boston Globe, Union Ledger, The Eagle-Tribune (Wyoming), The State (SC), and LV Sun all with a full page spreads with color on Dec. 17th and 18th.

Anyone know how much it would cost to do the above?

austin356
11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Not a bad idea, but would it not be more effective to increase hype prior to Dec. 16, thereby multiplying the awareness of potential donors and generating more money. Following on your suggestion, what about an ad both prior and subsequent to the "bomb" in the same publication with a clever woven theme.

Depends on resources. We should not advertise specifically to bring in more donations (poor use of $$), and most media coverage will be after the bomb thus making the most effective days to target right after the bomb, but if there is some type of tie in w/ a b4 and after it could work out good, though that would all depend on resources.

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes any advertising is a good idea and worthwhile, but the one advantage about going "big" with a full page ad in a major publication or newspaper, is the spin off in MSM press that will occur by doing so. It makes for a good story.

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Depends on resources. We should NEVER advertise specifically to bring in more donations (poor use of $$), and most media coverage will be after the bomb thus making the most effective days to target right after the bomb, but if there is some type of tie in w/ a b4 and after it could work out good, though that would all depend on resources.

I'm no expert, but we have the media intrigued, and the audacity of Ron Paul supporters taking out a full page ad asking people to join in a 10 million dollar drive is going to peak the interest of every editor in the country.

Eric21ND
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Jmann raises an excellent point. Although one ad in a big paper NYT would make news itself. If the ad highlighted Ron Paul's credentials and the Tea Party mass donation day it would be well worth the price. Do this one week before the day so they can talk about it in the media maybe show the website. Oh we would have to play up what we raised last time. $4.3 million got their attention. 10 million will win. something of that sort of headline.

Eric21ND
11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm no expert, but we have the media intrigued, and the audacity of Ron Paul supporters taking out a full page ad asking people to join in a 10 million dollar drive is going to peak the interest of every editor in the country.

A call to action for every American to take our country back from the special interests, corruption, cronyism, failed wars, etc. Put something like that in BIG headlines that would get major attention. :eek: It's time for real Americans to step up and get our country back. We should hit on these issues because there is a huge majority of people out there completely fed up.

Ethek
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Depends on resources. We should NEVER advertise specifically to bring in more donations (poor use of $$), and most media coverage will be after the bomb thus making the most effective days to target right after the bomb, but if there is some type of tie in w/ a b4 and after it could work out good, though that would all depend on resources.

I agree with this. 'Ron Paul: oh yeah.. I head of him just yesterday'

Someone seeing an ad in the paper for the first time is often not going to donate. I found out about Dr. Paul two days before Nov 5th and did not donate during the drive. I dropped $200 on the 11th and plan to max out on Dec 16th.

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
There's been some good ideas presented on various threads. I can't help but think that between now and Dec. 16 this forum needs to work on a big project like this or similar to keep the momentum going. I fear that after Nov. 5 we are like junkies needing another fix.

RonFan1776
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
I love the idea just put out here!

"$4.3 million got their attention.

$10 million will win.

Join us on December 16th for the largest one-day donation to any political candidate in history. Let your voice be heard.

www.teaparty07.com

... Paid for by supporters of Ron Paul for President 2008"

Something like that!

rockwell
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm against paying the MSM one red cent.

Billboards, campus chalking teams, flyer distros, lawnsigns etc is a FAR more profitable return for our dollar.

People are going to find out about him without the MSM. And the more they say "don't" and "no" everytime they mention him the more they are going to drive people our way.

Eric21ND
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM

I disagree. The ad would draw attention to Dr. Paul and make him more legitimate candidate in the eyes of the public, that's what we want right now. People love him, they just don't think he can win. The ad would do us several favors in this regard. It wouldn't just be used to pump up donations. I think it would increase donations because it would get all the fence riders off the fence in the our camp. A lot of people were waiting to endorse Paul if he seemed viable. They needed the extra push to support him and Nov 5th did that. If the MSM caught on that we're planning another huge donation day that would bring in more people. We should hit hard that this wasn't special interest money, this was money from average Americans.

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM

$10 million will win.

Join us on December 16th for the largest one-day donation to any political candidate in history. Let your voice be heard.

www.teaparty07.com

Something like that!
Yeah, you don't need to make it complicated. Sometimes "less is more."

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I disagree. The ad would draw attention to Dr. Paul and make him more legitimate candidate in the eyes of the public, that's what we want right now. People love him, they just don't think he can win. The ad would do us several favors in this regard. It wouldn't just be used to pump up donations. I think it would increase donations because it would get all the fence riders off the fence in the our camp. A lot of people were waiting to endorse Paul if he seemed viable. They needed the extra push to support him and Nov 5th did that. If the MSM caught on that we're planning another huge donation day that would bring in more people. We should hit hard that this wasn't special interest money, this was money from average Americans.

Unfortunately rockwell we're going to have to play with these bloodsuckers for the moment. When Ron gets in it'll be time for payback!

llepard
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM

$10 million will win.

www.teaparty07.com

Something like that!

That is a great suggestion. But 10 is too small . I like 100mm.

We are now drafting the USA Today adv. which will run before Thanksgiving, I will see it we can get something like this in it.

L

OReich
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't know how to quote, but the basic ads for the Tea Party 07 have my support. Remember to put in the beautiful graphics people have made. Imagine the people who didn't plan to donate cuz they didn't think he had a chance seeing a beautiful Tea Party 07 ad on Thursday, December 14th. And don't think people seeing that ad won't also be more interested in Ron Paul anyway.

Oh, and I firmly believe the $168,000 this costs to get in the USA Today would be outweighed by the money the ad itself will bring in on December 16th.

AND it's done by us! Can someone ask RonPaulGraphs.com to put that donation counting thing on to top of the homepage?

OReich
11-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Remember, the Tea Party 07 and any advertising for it would be as much an amazing marketing tool for Ron Paul as it would be for the money bomb.

Ozwest
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
A full page ad in U.S.A. Today. Now you're talk'in.

OReich
11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Actually never mind; I think a better plan for getting the word out on December 16th is directly through the MSM. Start contacting reporters/journalists/hosts about it, and if you already do, remember to mention the Tea Party 07 and the URL. And don't forget Ron Paul will start mentioning it a lot too.

american.swan
11-12-2007, 05:26 PM

I think we should take out ads in important state newspapers but the focus of the ad should be "take america back" or other Ron Paul issue related stuff. Then on the bottom of the ad link to Ron's website and the money bomb. Include the money bomb, but make the ad focused on Ron Paul's message and our grassroots message of taking American back from the lobby or what not.

max
11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
What do you think it would cost?

It should promote the tea party..

I have a prototype made but i suck with design...

check it out

www.ronpaulpostcards.com

we can run it through Lord Xar's pac...

let do this...the mother of all chip-ins!

llepard
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
people said something about maybe only having this run in certain regions, but this is going to run nationwide, right? Thats amazing, i can't wait to see this!

Yes, the advertisement is booked and paid for. It is black and white, it will run in the USA Today nationwide edition, Section 1, News Section.

It supports RP and promotes the TeaParty. It will look great. A draft is in the works. When the draft is completed we will post it.

I have paid for the advertisement personally. We did not have time for a PAC.

It will run on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The biggest travel day of the YEAR!

People can pass it around their Thanksgiving dinner tables.

Hopefully we will pick up some free publicity because it was paid for by an individual, not a PAC. I think this will make it the first of its kind and may be newsworthy. Any publicity is good publicity. We are pushing the boundary of the FEC laws. If the campaign were involved it would be illegal. I would love for this to become a First Amendment issue.

ALL OF IT WOULD BE MORE FREE PUBLICITY FOR RP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MuuuuuWaaaaHHaaaaaaaa........... we are gonna win and kick the MSM's you know what.

vroomery
11-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Yes, the advertisement is booked and paid for. It is black and white, it will run in the USA Today nationwide edition, Section 1, News Section.

It supports RP and promotes the TeaParty. It will look great. A draft is in the works. When the draft is completed we will post it.

It will run on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The biggest travel day of the YEAR!

Hopefully we will pick up some free publicity because it was paid for by an individual, not a PAC. I think this will make it the first of its kind and may be newsworthy. Any publicity is good publicity. We are pushing the boundary of the FEC laws. If the campaign were involved it would be illegal. I would love for this to become a First Amendment issue.

MuuuuuWaaaaHHaaaaaaaa........... we are gonna win and kick the MSM's you know what.

you sir...are awesome!

Stealth4
11-13-2007, 12:40 AM

You, Sir, are the Man!

Voice
11-13-2007, 12:49 AM
What Stealth4 said.

austin356
11-13-2007, 12:53 AM

You got 2 be f-ing kidding me!!

You sir will have topped the Phoenix team's LV billboards for top grassroots action when I see this!

austin356
11-13-2007, 01:41 AM
That is a great suggestion. But 10 is too small . I like 100mm.

We are now drafting the USA Today adv. which will run before Thanksgiving, I will see it we can get something like this in it.

L

Black and white is cheaper. Also, there are discounts for political advertisements and if you do not come in via an advertising agency.

Also, there are discounts if you are flexible on your day selection. Friday is the most expensive day.

I just committed to run a full page B&W nationwide on the Tues or Wed before Thanksgiving.

Send me a PM and I will tell you the cost.

L

Does nobody on the forums care about such awesomeness?

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 01:55 AM

"May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past."

Drknows
11-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Whoa is this for real? I can't believe what I'm reading!!!! Man this is just awesome!

kudos to you

coboman
11-13-2007, 02:08 AM
OMFG! WOW! Now that is passion!

We should get llepard invited to a daily show or something. This is a great story, the media could be all over it.

At least he deserves some Youtube videos, and the kudos from all the community.

Man from La Mancha
11-13-2007, 02:20 AM

MuuuuuWaaaaHHaaaaaaaa........... we are gonna win and kick the MSM's you know what. If you can pull this off I welcome it. Please look into the legality of this so you won't have any trouble and there is a PAC already formed that might help.

Also please raise the stakes from 10 million, you know I like 100 mil but if not just say the sky's the limit.

Thanks a lot.:D

austin356
11-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Bump for greatness

john_anderson_ii
11-13-2007, 02:43 AM
Holy h-ee-double-L!

Wow, this is going to be awesome! I will be buying that copy of the USA Today for sure.

Since when do advertisements help sell papers? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Not when the ads are this awesome!

Hey, any lawyer types know if this is acceptable to the FEC? I don't see why it wouldn't be. This guys likes Ron Paul and wants to see him as president, so he spends quite a bit of money telling everyone (EVERYONE) about it. May as well be chocolate cheesecake he's talking about as far as the FEC is concerned. At least that's the way I see it, but it's rare a day when a federal agency and I see eye to eye.

jblosser
11-13-2007, 02:46 AM
HFS.

Can we paypal you a beer or something?

framecut
11-13-2007, 02:48 AM
I agree with this. 'Ron Paul: oh yeah.. I head of him just yesterday'

Someone seeing an ad in the paper for the first time is often not going to donate. I found out about Dr. Paul two days before Nov 5th and did not donate during the drive. I dropped $200 on the 11th and plan to max out on Dec 16th.

A new RP supporter!

Welcome!

anotherone
11-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Does nobody on the forums care about such awesomeness?

I'm speechless. The past 5 weeks have been like a dream, and now this? Truly amazing, and maybe a wonderful example for others of such means.

Johnnybags
11-13-2007, 06:07 AM

too small a word, must be nice to be able to do though, you know, spread a little joy? Get your paperwork in, run against Kerry for Senate. Thanks again.

stewie3128
11-13-2007, 06:08 AM
llepard,

About the only thing that could leave me more speechless yet giddy is if you posted something to the effect of "We've purchased the Executive Branch, and Ron Paul will be taking over as of Jan 2009."

You are my new god.

krott5333
11-13-2007, 06:27 AM

YOU SIR, ARE A TRUE PATRIOT :eek:

jesshwarren
11-13-2007, 06:46 AM

Thank you. You are the best. This is HUGE. Can't say how happy I am right now. :)

Henry
11-13-2007, 06:47 AM

Merry Xmas to you sir!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Henry
11-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Press release is in order. Who can do it?

Eric21ND
11-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Ron Paul supporters never cease to amaze me!! I'm so proud to be affiliated with every one of you. This is truly amazing. I can't wait to see the early pictures of this.

Sematary
11-13-2007, 06:58 AM
llepard,

About the only thing that could leave me more speechless yet giddy is if you posted something to the effect of "We've purchased the Executive Branch, and Ron Paul will be taking over as of Jan 2009."

You are my new god.

No shit, huh? That's awesome!

SwanMaiden
11-13-2007, 07:10 AM

You sir, are a top tier SUPPORTER!!!:D

stljayhawk
11-13-2007, 07:13 AM
I can do a press release...to whom do you want me to send it? All the usual suspects?

this is sooooooooo awesome!:D

Second_Tier_My_Ass
11-13-2007, 07:14 AM
llepard, these forums thank you now, but my hope is that the entire nation will one day thank you for your selflessness, generosity and absolute patriotism! we may never know how many eyes you pry open on that day.

rancher89
11-13-2007, 07:27 AM
I ditto all of the comments above.

I'm "almost" speechless, I'd like to buy you a beer or two and go hand out slim jims!

There's an article in the Freemarket News about the ad, way to go!

shrapnel88
11-13-2007, 07:35 AM
holy crap!! how did i miss this thread earlier?? llepard, you...you are the man! wow. just wow.

0zzy
11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Does it look good? represent paul's ideas? I want to see a draft!:X

Ron Paul Fan
11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
That's an awesome thing you did llepard. Thank you for taking the bull by the horns on this one. The ad promoting the tea party will now reach a national audience. You are a true patriot and champion of liberty. Ron Paul supporters continue to amaze!

Trassin
11-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Awesome, llepard! Well done.

Ethek
11-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Is this the mention of the ad already?

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=51343&fb=1

krott5333
11-13-2007, 07:46 AM

patience young Paulite

drain
11-13-2007, 07:49 AM
awesome stuff, i will be traveling that day and will be picking up a copy.

:beer:

-adrian

llepard
11-13-2007, 08:00 AM

Not to worry. A draft is coming. All RPForums members will be able to comment.

bolidew
11-13-2007, 08:02 AM
llepard, THANK YOU THANK YOU & THANK YOU!

happyphilter
11-13-2007, 08:04 AM
wow llepard thank you. I could never do something like that, but I damn well will try. You are an inspiration. Thank you!

Skeeterbug73
11-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Not to worry. A draft is coming. All RPForums members will be able to comment.

Thank you llepard! You are AWESOME!!! :D

synapz
11-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Um. Wow. Just wow.

Voice
11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
llepard, are you married?

manny
11-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Thank you llepard! You are AWESOME!!! :D

+1

:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you llepard!!

As others have said, this is surely newsworthy in itself. There must be some news coverage to come of such a selfless act by a patriot. I hope you'll be at the inauguration so I can shake your hand. :)

LibertyEagle
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Press release is in order. Who can do it?

Not until AFTER it comes out. We want nothing to be able to stop this. :)

Libertarian
11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
awesome awesome awesome...

This will keep the momentum going folks..

Don't forget to do your part though. Inform at least one person a day about RP. ;)

kylejack
11-13-2007, 08:29 AM

You stay classy, San Diego. Great job.

llepard
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
llepard, are you married?

Happily with the best wife in the world. Three children 12,9,6. L

llepard
11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Not until AFTER it comes out. We want nothing to be able to stop this. :)

I agree. A press release could lead to a challenge on some front. Let's tell our friends, spread the word and then blow the trumpet when it runs.

allyinoh
11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I said it in the other thread but llepard, you are awesome and I don't think anyone could thank you enough.

=)

LBT
11-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Inspirational llepard !

This inspires us all to give and do more for the campaign.

dsentell
11-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Absolutely Incredible!!!

I can't thank you enough!!!!

Eric21ND
11-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Another powerful line to consider for the ad:

"On December 16th, we will donate to save our country."

"Be part of the Revolution."

I saw this line in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZmIzEMUN8

lloydian
11-13-2007, 09:07 AM
THIS - Is what I've been looking for - and more of it.

There are a lot of people out there in the financial arena that could step up HUGE for Ron Paul and they haven't been doing it. Peter Schiff stepped up and now Llepard. Folks worth tens of millions and hundreds of millions please consider the impact you could have on the future.

Many financial mgrs, hedge fund mgrs, financial planners etc, have an opportunity right here and now to change the course of this country. PLEASE DO IT!

Llepard has shown the way, won't you in the investment management arena follow in his steps!

Admirable Llepard - a new star among Ron Paul fans and patriots everywhere!

mfoley1
11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Thank you Llepard!!

brandon13830
11-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Thank you very much for your HUGE contribution to the campaign.

DrNoZone
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow, I thought "no way is this gonna happen" when I first saw this thread. And I just read in FMNN that an individual is paying for it! Kudos to you llepard, you're a true patriot!

Wyle
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Awesome job!

Just found this link for anyone thats interested in USA Todays Subscriber base compared to other magazine :)

http://www.bizzyblog.com/2007/11/08/usa-today-and-wsj-mask-serious-circulation-problems-at-most-other-major-papers/

apc3161
11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
LLepard, this is an incredible thing you are doing; it is inspirational.

Thank you so much.

Andy C

Conza88
11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
llepard :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

God amongst men!!

Apauled
11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
You are great, Thankyou!
I suggest a you tube of you (since I think you live in Mass.) in front of where the tea party took place with the Usa today Ad.

Thank you sir!

apc3161
11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
I remember reading about something similar to this going to the supreme court awhile back.

There were aspects that were OK under the 1st amendment and aspects that were not because it was a breach of the $2,300.

I'm extremely busy right now, but I will try to look it up later tonight.

However as stated, (assuming you'd be ok with going to the supreme court, although I would imagine you are a busy person), someone having to go to the supreme court could be free publicity in and of itself.

This will also shave the stigma that none of Ron Paul's supporters are prosperous, well educated Americans. Right now the media portrays us as crazy people which I find offensive.

So this would be good in that respect as well.

apc

wolv275
11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks llepard that is truly an example of what a Paul candidacy will do for this country, make us all willingly more charitable.

G

JuniorNJ
11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Truly inspirational! The fact that it's going to be circulating during one of the busiest travel times of the year is AWESOME. One of the first things I do when I arrive at the airport is grab a paper and a few magazines -- imagine how many people are going to see this. Especially since it's full page, people will have no other choice but to read just out of shere curiousity.

Again, THANK YOU.

Ron Paul 08 baby!!

mfoley1
11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
we are all in this together! Thanks again!!

theoddmonkey
11-13-2007, 10:12 AM
This is brilliant. Thank you good sir, from the bottom of my heart, and on behalf of any future children, grandchildren, and so on, than I may have!

CurtisLow
11-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I am a US vet and I salute you! bravo!

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3325/youthemanjs2.jpg

werdd
11-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Leppard, you bring a new meaning to being a Ron Paul supporter.... what a great commitment!

madRazor
11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Thank you!! You've inspired me to do MORE>>> I'm sure it's the same for others. THANK YOU!!

SwordOfShannarah
11-13-2007, 10:34 AM
...and then the ad will go on to generate tens of millions more in FREE PUBLICITY (because this is an amazing news story)!!! Brilliant!!

hillertexas
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
bump for awesome-ness

coboman
11-13-2007, 11:02 AM
My kudos again. I already posted my gratitude,
but now a have a big doubt:

As far as I have been able to investigate, individulas cannot run an advertisement by themselves. It must be done through a FAC, and even then, an individual cannot give more than $50,000.

I just want this clarified before it becomes an issue.
Thanks

Bacon
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Wow! I'm speechless.. this is amazing.

Josh
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
thank you thank you thank you

Mandrik
11-13-2007, 11:05 AM
My kids wanted to say thanks:

http://www.mandrik.com/etc/rp/llepard-awesome2.jpg

http://www.mandrik.com/etc/rp/llepard-awesome.jpg

ronpaulyourmom
11-13-2007, 11:05 AM
haha nice!

sroll2237
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Just want to say that it might be a good idea to give a shout out to those on this sight in marketing and run the design mainly by them. They will have the best experience and say in how to make this most effective.

Other than that, you're awesome! What day is it gonna be in the paper??

Lord Xar
11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
did this run today? if so, do we have a photo of it?

llepard
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
did this run today? if so, do we have a photo of it?

No. It will run on the Tues or Wed. before Thanksgiving. A draft will appear soon.

L

Fig
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Just going to jump on the THANK YOU train!

My god this is amazing. Sir, you are a TRUE patriot. I type this in a public place with tears streaming down my face. People are looking at me funny, but it doesn't matter. THANK YOU SIR!

Craig_R
11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
For Liberty !

Falseflagop
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
No. It will run on the Tues or Wed. before Thanksgiving. A draft will appear soon.

L

I see you make your money via investments and when a see the PPT (Plung Protection Team) Screw with the markets daily, it makes me proud to see a fellow investor stick up their BUTT!

Thanks man !!

fcofer
11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Just going to jump on the THANK YOU train!

Make way for me! This is truly surreal. Thanks, Llepard!

llepard
11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I see you make your money via investments and when a see the PPT (Plung Protection Team) Screw with the markets daily, it makes me proud to see a fellow investor stick up their BUTT!

Thanks man !!

Yeah, Goldman Sachs should not run our country.

LWL

Recovering Socialist
11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow, LWL you are quite a patriot. We all owe you alot of thanks.

-Patrick Rogers

Trassin
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
This will be the first time I've bought a USA Today in years. :)

apc3161
11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Alright, I found what I consider to be the two pieces of important documentation with regard to the legality of this.

They are the H.R. 2356 [107th]: Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h107-2356

and

BUCKLEY v. VALEO, 424 U.S. 1 (1976)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=424&page=1

Here is a really quick description of the result from Buckley v. Valeo

These ads could not explicitly or expressly advocate the election or defeat of a candidate through words and phrases such as, "Vote for Smith", "Elect Smith", "Send Smith to Congress", "Vote Against Jones", or "Defeat Jones." However, they could read something like this: "John Smith is an honest man who stands up for the people. Bill Jones is a chronic liar who's taken money from special interests and advocated cutting Social Security. Call Bill Jones and tell him how you feel about this."

(from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_finance_in_the_United_States )

This was with regard to PAC spending though, not personal spending. So I'm not sure how applicable this statement is.

I don't have time to go through all of this now, I should later tonight though. If anyone wants to go through it now though that might be useful. I'll be back later tonight to talk about this.

Andy C

Liberty
11-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks llepard.

Ivanelterrible
11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
llepard that is truely amazing.

llepard
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Alright, I found what I consider to be the two pieces of important documentation with regard to the legality of this.

They are the H.R. 2356 [107th]: Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h107-2356

and

BUCKLEY v. VALEO, 424 U.S. 1 (1976)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=424&page=1

Here is a really quick description of the result from Buckley v. Valeo

These ads could not explicitly or expressly advocate the election or defeat of a candidate through words and phrases such as, "Vote for Smith", "Elect Smith", "Send Smith to Congress", "Vote Against Jones", or "Defeat Jones." However, they could read something like this: "John Smith is an honest man who stands up for the people. Bill Jones is a chronic liar who's taken money from special interests and advocated cutting Social Security. Call Bill Jones and tell him how you feel about this."

(from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_finance_in_the_United_States )

This was with regard to PAC spending though, not personal spending. So I'm not sure how applicable this statement is.

I don't have time to go through all of this now, I should later tonight though. If anyone wants to go through it now though that might be useful. I'll be back later tonight to talk about this.

Andy C

Thank you so much for researching this. Any other lawyers have thoughts?

Basically, I have been told that I am OK under the First Amendment. Hey, its Freedom of Speech. If I want to get up and spend my own money to say something then why can't I? USA Today agrees. However, I am required to say that I paid for it. I may have to prove that I paid for it. And, I cannot be affiliated with the campaign. Which I am not. I also have to provide a contact point. I intend to provide an email.

Mark
11-13-2007, 01:18 PM
edit: responded to the wrong post..

Ethek
11-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm pumped about this. I think it will be a unbelievably huge catalyst. Any word on placement?

dc74rp
11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
llepard,

thank you from me too..... you're a true patriot.

My understanding is if you spend more than $250 you need to file with the FEC, and if you spend more than a certain amount in the election cycle, don't remember exactly, there's additional paperwork.

I think that's crap requiring registeration of speech and the press, but that's the way they do it.

I don't have more time to spend looking it up right now, but I'll see what I can find later tonight.

Dustancostine
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks, this is truly wonderful. Thanks for sticking up for freedom.

spiteface
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
This could be the greatest post on an internet forum ever. Not only does he announce mind blowing news - the equivalent of getting hit in the face with a baseball bat - but he ends it with "we are gonna win and kick the MSM's YOU KNOW WHAT" You sir, are my hero!

john_anderson_ii
11-13-2007, 01:55 PM
So to keep the campaign and yourself, llepard, out of hot water, I guess it just comes down to how to word the ad! (Stupid government gray areas)

I guess you are allowed to explain why you personally felt compelled to spend a fortune on an ad for someone else's product (i.e. Ron Paul's Liberty). A personal testimony of that caliber would really get people thinking. If I read an add that went something along the lines of:

I think John Smith is a great guy! I like him so much I spent quite a sum of my personal money to tell the world how much I like him. John Smith is honest, passionate and intelligent. Join me in supporting John Smith at www.johnsmithparty07.com.

I would immediately wonder why someone would go to such great lengths to support John Smith. Of course, there is the contingent of the population who would say "Eff John Smith! Bring me Paris Hilton!". However, I doubt those are the types who read USA Today.

llepard
11-13-2007, 01:57 PM
I would immediately wonder why someone would go to such great lengths to support John Smith. Of course, there is the contingent of the population who would say "Eff John Smith! Bring me Paris Hilton!". However, I doubt those are the types who read USA Today.

LOL. I hope you are right....at least not Section 1, the News section. As for the People section..........

ronpaulyourmom
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
LOL. I hope you are right....at least not Section 1, the News section. As for the People section..........

Well here's to a nice long plane ride, taxi ride, and waiting period, or breakfast so they can think about it long and hard. :)

Hook
11-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I hope you aren't risking your overall finances for this. We all appreciate what you are doing, but we don't want to impoverish you over it :D
BTW, what do you do for a living?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
11-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Def llepard ROCKS

Awesome, man! woooo

jp5065
11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
From the FCC website..

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml

Independent Expenditures

Under federal election law, an individual or group (such as a PAC) may make unlimited "independent expenditures" in connection with federal elections.

An independent expenditure is an expenditure for a communication which expressly advocates the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate and which is made independently from the candidate's campaign. To be considered independent, the communication may not be made with the cooperation, consultation or concert with, or at the request or suggestion of, any candidate or his/her authorized committees or a political party, or any of their agents. While there is no limit on how much anyone may spend on an independent expenditure, the law does require persons making independent expenditures to report them and to disclose the sources of the funds they used. The public can review these reports at the FEC's Public Records Office.

Menthol Patch
11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
llepard has freedom of speech. That is all that matters. If anyone dares try to attack him for taking out this article he will have all of Ron Paul Forums standing beside him.

USAF Vet Dan
11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
I just committed to run a full page B&W nationwide on the Tues or Wed before Thanksgiving.L

I've been an "active patriot" for almost 20 years. Much of that time, I felt like there was only a handful of us out there... being ridiculed and laughed at. When I ran for Congress on a strict Constitutionist's platform (8th Dist., IL) in '96, I received death threats, was spit on numerous times while campaigning, and was erroneously labeled a "neo-nazi, whacko, white supremacist, etc." by the Chicago Sun Times and Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law Center (even though I had always advocated freedom for ALL and had many African American and Jewish supporters).

Because of the huge numbers of the newly awakened who have rallied behind Ron Paul's campaign for a return to constitutional government, I no longer feel like I'm part of an outcast minority. Your selfless act adds greatly to my feeling of liberation.

The word "thanks" falls ridiculously short of the gratitude I feel for what you're doing. You are truly a shining star of patriotism.

THANK YOU!

mport1
11-13-2007, 04:43 PM

This is incredible!

Pizza God
11-13-2007, 06:27 PM
wow, I am going to have to buy one for the thanksgiving table for my family too.

What can I say,

Thanks

HistoryWillBeMade:RonPaul
11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
The Revolution has begun.

This could be the only chance we have. The time is right.

For the people, by the people.

Thanks Llepard!

Politeia
11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I've been an "active patriot" for almost 20 years. ... Because of the huge numbers of the newly awakened who have rallied behind Ron Paul's campaign for a return to constitutional government, I no longer feel like I'm part of an outcast minority. Your selfless act adds greatly to my feeling of liberation.

I've been a libertarian, Constitutionalist and member of the "patriot movement" (and Ron Paul supporter) for over 25 years, trying, with next to no success at all, to wake up family, friends and people around me. It's been cold out in the wilderness; I never realized how cold until now, when suddenly Ron Paul and the "rEVOLution" community have given me my country back.

I went to Canada in 1967, expecting to remain in exile the rest of my life; as I told my draft board from Montreal, given that my ancestors helped found this country, I didn't think they were in a position to tell me what an American is. Then through a kind of fluke I was able to return the next year, initially "just for a visit," then realized that I am an American, and stayed.

Nevertheless, for the last 40 years I've not felt at home in today's "Amerika". Now, however, I feel at last part of a community of people who understand what America is about, and really care. Whatever comes of all this, my life has changed.