PDA

View Full Version : RON PAUL sign in the Movie Slacker

son of liberty
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Read an interesting tidbit in an article that said a Ron Paul for President sign is shown clearly in the early 90's film "Slacker" by Richard Linklater.

http://www.annistonstar.com/opinion/2007/as-editorials-1110-editorial-7k09w4322.htm

might be worth hunting down...

Jaykzo
11-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Off topic, but I've seen him in the documentary "In Pot We Trust". It followed around 5 or 6 users who needed medical marijuana, and documented the attempts of a young Washington lobbyist trying to persuade congressmen and women to legalize medicinal use.

Ron Paul was one of the guys he spoke with. On his desk was a little plaque that said "Don't Steal! The Government Hates Competition."

He gave a straight forward answer on why the laws restricting marijuana use should be reversed.

FrankRep
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Time to hit blockbuster!

Marceline88
11-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Dude....I was soooooo a grunge era teenager....I LOVED that movie. Must purchase it now.

fletcher
11-13-2007, 01:24 AM
I took this screenshot:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3763/slackerronqo9.jpg

kylejack
11-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Interesting, I love Linklater movies!

LibertyOfOne
11-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Wow this is creepy :O

"In one scene, an older gentleman, an anarchist, explains that the day will come when he sneaks under the Texas statehouse in Austin and blows it up. Pulling what the character calls a “Guy Fawkes,” a reference to the Englishman who plotted to blow up Parliament on Nov. 5, 1605. In another scene, two characters stroll down the street past a campaign sign from the 1988 presidential race. “Ron Paul for President” it reads in bold letters."

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Linklater's first film, and still, it's my favorite. Scanner Darkly is worth watching as well (that's his most recent) and is an adaptation of the book by the same name, by philip k. dick.

son of liberty
11-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback, you guys are good.

werdd
11-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Wow this is creepy :O

"In one scene, an older gentleman, an anarchist, explains that the day will come when he sneaks under the Texas statehouse in Austin and blows it up. Pulling what the character calls a “Guy Fawkes,” a reference to the Englishman who plotted to blow up Parliament on Nov. 5, 1605. In another scene, two characters stroll down the street past a campaign sign from the 1988 presidential race. “Ron Paul for President” it reads in bold letters."

foreshadowing, this guy puts nostradamus to shame :X

constituent
11-13-2007, 11:39 AM
i thought slacker sucked hardcore.

linklater's movies are lackluster (excepting dazed and confused) at best,
it's usually in the idea/concept that he
rocks it out.

if i remember correctly he wrote and
did his bit for School of Rock as well,
no?

that was a great kid movie. who did
nacho libre? was that him?

Dazed and Confused is a classic, i know
a few people who were in that one as
extras (i think most folks in texas do).

fwiw, his adaptation of A Scanner Darkly kicked
the living shit out of Minority Report
and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
(bladerunner)...

too real though, troubling. I was tired
of the waking life bit halfway through it
also (as i found that movie"austintatious," disgustingly so)...
probably didn't help that i was in college at the time and spouting that
kinda garbage day in and out is how everyone tries to impress one another.

I'll bet he's a big fan of RP though. I made a thread about
this months ago, wondering if anyone had chased down
his endorsement.

DerailingDaTrain
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
The anarchist scene is one of the few interesting ones in the film which is then ruined when the "anarchist" goes into a rant against how the city is full of "so called libertarians and their damned individualism. they couldn't care less about saving the world"

Horrible

ronpaulfollower999
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
There is now way this thread is 5 years old.

Can't believe its been that long.

DerailingDaTrain
06-07-2012, 05:47 PM
There is now way this thread is 5 years old.

Can't believe its been that long.

I didn't even notice that I just watched the film today and searched here for any mention of it.

georgiaboy
06-07-2012, 05:49 PM
I didn't even notice that I just watched the film today and searched here for any mention of it.

+rep for great use of search.