PDA

View Full Version : PPP Colorado:

CTRattlesnake
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
40 Romney, 26 Santorum, 18 Gingrich, 12 Paul

Another poll where Gingrich is trailing Santorum

CTRattlesnake
02-05-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/02/romney-up-in-colorado-close-race-in-minnesota.html

Another low turnout caucus, could push our numbers up a bit.

CTRattlesnake
02-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Cross tabs

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_COMO_205.pdf

HeyArchie
02-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Last place

#winning

Trigonx
02-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Colorado makes me sad.

tsai3904
02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
CO is a closed caucus state where you had to be a registered Republican two months before the caucus. We can't expect to do well in states where our supporters had to be registered Republican months in advance.

liveandletlive
02-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Colorado has a plethora of liberal hotspots, so a liberal dominating is no surprise

RickyJ
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
12%? Does this include Independents and Democrats?

With the huge crowds that greeted him in Colorado I thought his poll numbers there would be higher than this.

Maximus
02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
12%? Does this include Independents and Democrats?

With the huge crowds that greeted him in Colorado I thought his poll numbers there would be higher than this.

Huge crowds doesn't mean winning. I remember in Iowa our huge crowds were also filled with people who traveled from other states to see Ron... I think there is less of that now that the primaries/caucuses are up and running.

Liberty74
02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Still many don't get it. This is a Republican nomination. Unless you win those votes you don't win period. Most states are CLOSED primaries. Most delegated are bounded too.

Ron's negatives are too high to win anything. The damage has been done by Rush, Levin, Beck, Hannity (controlled by Bain) and the rest of the Fox News clowns. They all did their JOB. It's why Ron does poorly with Republicans and good with Independents.

Yet many are fixated on Ron not running Independent??? HELLO

HOLLYWOOD
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
PPP is liberal Romney's public steering tool.

Did anyone catch PPP's switcharoo on the polls in Nevada. They released a poll yesterday with a link back dated to Friday with Ron doing better. But for previous weeks, all their polls had Ron at half that amount. The giveaway was posting the poll yesterday with the backdating to Friday.

Mister Grieves
02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
The fact that the media still has this much control over the general populace, especially with the advent of the internet, is incredible and depressing.

virgil47
02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
CO is a closed caucus state where you had to be a registered Republican two months before the caucus. We can't expect to do well in states where our supporters had to be registered Republican months in advance.

Bunk! If we want to do well in these states we need to target Republicans that will vote. If we are relying on independents and Dems to insure that we win we are doomed to failure.

Monotaur
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
The fact that the media still has this much control over the general populace, especially with the advent of the internet, is incredible and depressing.

It truly is. What is even more depressing is that people just tend to like whoever the media mentions the most or who they are told is the most electable (ie, Romney). I live in Colorado, and I can attest to the PPP poll. I have have called all registered Republicans with phone numbers in my precinct and including myself and my wife, there are 4 registered Republican Ron Paul supporters out of about 100 people who I called. There is another guy who supports Ron all the way, is plugged into politics, follows the debates, reads Ron Paul stories on the internet, etc, but is not registered Republican. I went to talk to him since the voter rolls are not completely up to date andI was hoping he had changed his regisrtation before the cut-off date - but he had not. Said he is going to support Ron as a 3rd party ticket with Kucinich. This guy is not the stereotypical young voter either. Unfortunately, since Colorado is a closed state, he won't be able to support Ron at the caucus.

And out of the 4 folks who I identified, only 3 will probably come. Really disheartening.

Out of all of the people I called, most were for Romney. Most were not really for him because of his issues, but because "he could beat Obama" or "would repeal ObamaCare" (which I have no idea why on Earth you would say that about Romney, but I digress...).

But, we are organizing for delegates, since Colorado is unbound. The establishment is trying sneaky things this time around, but we are aware of them.

So the bottom line is, we may lose the straw poll but do well with delegates. Unfortunately, I place the blame directly at the media for airing falsehoods and the like.

RickyJ
02-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Oh, that explains it I guess. Still Republicans should embrace Ron Paul's message, he is the most conservative candidate running. Ronald Reagan didn't endorse Ron Paul for no reason. I think the campaign should make more of Reagan's endorsement while at the same time pointing out that Reagan and Newt were not really friends and that Reagan would not approve of Romney bailing out the big banks and having mandates for insurance like he advocates in Massachusetts. Republicans need to wake up and realize that unless they get a real conservative in the White House, it will do no good, they might as well keep Obama in there if they can't get Ron Paul in there because a liberal Republican will not help anything and only hurt the cause of conservatism in the long run. Just getting someone with an "R" behind their name in the White House is not good enough, George W. Bush is proof of that!

tbone717
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM

We knew this from the start. It is no excuse. We need to win with typical GOP voters in order to win the nomination. Relying on open primaries/caucuses and crossover voters is a strategy that will ultimately fail.

Article V
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
CO is a closed caucus state where you had to be a registered Republican two months before the caucus. We can't expect to do well in states where our supporters had to be registered Republican months in advance.It's this kind of mentality that will cost us the nomination. Why can't we expect to win Republican voters? I realize they are harder votes to get than Independents, but your assumption that we can't expect to do well with regular Republicans has an inherent indication that we don't deserve the Republican nomination. Either Ron Paul reflects the views of Republican voters and should be their nominee or he does not and should not.

We MUST win in a GOP closed primary, so work harder converting Republicans! No whining or excuses are allowed. Let's go all out for Paul in!

tbone717
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
//

Okie RP fan
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Still many don't get it. This is a Republican nomination. Unless you win those votes you don't win period. Most states are CLOSED primaries. Most delegated are bounded too.

Ron's negatives are too high to win anything. The damage has been done by Rush, Levin, Beck, Hannity (controlled by Bain) and the rest of the Fox News clowns. They all did their JOB. It's why Ron does poorly with Republicans and good with Independents.

Yet many are fixated on Ron not running Independent??? HELLO

Yep.

And people want to get on other people's cases for feeling the need to follow what people like Levin say (I'm one of them, or used to be) because people like Levin and Beck have MILLIONS of registered Republicans that listen to them.

But the mindset on here says: Republicans, who needs them? We have a few crossover Dems and Indies that can help us.

Sorry, but that's not the case! Wake up and start appealing to Republicans or continue to lose.

sailingaway
02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
If we come really close in Nevada it should impact our numbers. The others were impacted by media saying Ron was in FOURTH place in Nevada, all week. Whatever, ignore the polls, and work.

wgadget
02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Colorado is also the home of James Dobson and the like.

:eek:

Giuliani was there on 911
02-05-2012, 01:04 PM
How the hell is santorum doing so well there ? I thought Colorado would be the type of state we would dominate.

tbone717
02-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Colorado is also the home of James Dobson and the like.

:eek:

Good. Paul is the only Evangelical Christian in the race - we should capitalize on that fact and market our message to the social conservatives in ways that appeal to them.

tsai3904
02-05-2012, 01:08 PM
It's this kind of mentality that will cost us the nomination. Why can't we expect to win Republican voters? I realize they are harder votes to get than Independents, but your assumption that we can't expect to do well with regular Republicans has an inherent indication that we don't deserve the Republican nomination. Either Ron Paul reflects the views of Republican voters and should be their nominee or he does not and should not.

We MUST win in a GOP closed primary, so work harder converting Republicans! No whining or excuses are allowed. Let's go all out for Paul in!

Lol...tell me what the reality is. All else equal, do we do better in a state where it is open to anyone registered to vote AND allows same day registration or a state where you had to be a registered Republican two months in advance?

All I'm saying is that we can't expect to do as well in Colorado as Iowa or New Hampshire (where same day registration was allowed). Even if CO was first the first state to vote and Iowa and NH were last, we would still do better in Iowa and NH.

Why can't people point out the facts? If I say we do better with 18-29 than 65+ so we can't expect to do well in Florida and should skip the state, how would you respond...that I'm making excuses or that I don't think we'll win the nomination?

Fact is resources are scarce and you need to allocate resources efficiently. It is a FACT we do better with 18-29, we do better in caucus states, we do better in open states, and we do better in states that allow same day registration. This leads me to believe we will do better in Maine and Minnesota than Colorado because Maine is a semi-open state, Minnesota is an open state AND both allow same day registration. Which states would you rather focus on?

sailingaway
02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
The polls all last week showed Ron in FOURTH in Nevada. The media said he was. I have to expect Santa's showing in Nevada and Ron's will change some numbers in both Colorado and Minnesota. And Gingrich's, but unfortunately some of them might go to Santa. Colorodo, as I see it, is about delegates, not the 'win' but we have to do well. I see Maine and maybe even Minnesota as potential wins ahead of Colorado, although I'm not writing Colorado off, either. I'm hoping Ron gets a bump from Nevada.

wgadget
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Good. Paul is the only Evangelical Christian in the race - we should capitalize on that fact and market our message to the social conservatives in ways that appeal to them.

Sure, but I think this brand of Evangelical likes to blow up brown people preemptively in the name of Israel.

tbone717
02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Sure, but I think this brand of Evangelical likes to blow up brown people preemptively in the name of Israel.

Not true. The primary goal of Christians regarding Islam is access to those countries for evangelism. I've listened to thousands of sermons in my life and never once have I heard anyone preach from the pulpit that we need to kill people to protect Israel. Those that you speak of are a minority. The main issue for Evangelicals is and always has been abortion.

Mister Grieves
02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
But, we are organizing for delegates, since Colorado is unbound. The establishment is trying sneaky things this time around, but we are aware of them.

So the bottom line is, we may lose the straw poll but do well with delegates. Unfortunately, I place the blame directly at the media for airing falsehoods and the like.Your dedication and hard work is admirable. I agree that the media is a large part of the problem, but it was inevitable to happen this way, I suppose. The government corruption and collusion with their 'donors' is what is truly appalling.

Gravik
02-05-2012, 05:32 PM
How do people in COlorado support Mitt Romney when he is completely against medical marijuana???

sailingaway
02-05-2012, 05:34 PM
How do people in COlorado support Mitt Romney when he is completely against medical marijuana???

most people in states with medical marijuana don't really consider it to be a pressing issue.

Kregisen
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm guessing the majority of people for medical marijuana are democrats and independents, with a small amount of republicans. That's how it was here in arizona (it passed 50.01% to 49.99% here lol)

RonPaulFanInGA
02-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Where would that issue be on an exit poll stating what voters were most concerned with? 1%, below the economy, foreign policy, immigration, education, etc.?

BKom
02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Not true. The primary goal of Christians regarding Islam is access to those countries for evangelism. I've listened to thousands of sermons in my life and never once have I heard anyone preach from the pulpit that we need to kill people to protect Israel. Those that you speak of are a minority. The main issue for Evangelicals is and always has been abortion.

Actually, abortion is a recent concoction as an issue for Christians. You don't have to go back very far, the late 60s - early 1970s, when it never came up at all. It was invented as a wedge issue about then. And somehow, people really believe it is and has always been the big issue of religious Christians. Not so at all. It was branding by some pretty shrewd religious marketers.

Tod
02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Actually, abortion is a recent concoction as an issue for Christians. You don't have to go back very far, the late 60s - early 1970s, when it never came up at all. It was invented as a wedge issue about then. And somehow, people really believe it is and has always been the big issue of religious Christians. Not so at all. It was branding by some pretty shrewd religious marketers.

Look at where abortion was legal on demand prior to Roe vs Wade: just four states.

THAT is why it became an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States

boneyard bill
02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
It's this kind of mentality that will cost us the nomination. Why can't we expect to win Republican voters? I realize they are harder votes to get than Independents, but your assumption that we can't expect to do well with regular Republicans has an inherent indication that we don't deserve the Republican nomination. Either Ron Paul reflects the views of Republican voters and should be their nominee or he does not and should not.

Ron Paul runs a very ideological campaign. You pay a price for that. Voters are looking for practical answers to practical issues. If your ideology isn't practical, then it's no good as an ideology. So there should be no contradiction between the two. But Ron Paul isn't out to persuade. He's out to convert. But that means that he winds up saying things like, "It's all right for Iran to have a nuclear weapon." When he could make his point much better by saying, "The CIA and the Secretary of Defense have said Iran doesn't have a nuclear weapons program. So what is the point in our confrontational policy?" Why make "non-intervention" a dogma. Why not ask, "What has our interventions gotten us? War and debt and little more. We intervene too much, and we can't afford it anymore."

Rand Paul understands this much better than his father. If you justify the ideology on practical grounds first, you will persuade more voters although you may convert fewer of them.

Ron Paul's been campaigning a lot longer than I have, so I think he knows what he's doing. There's a reason why he refuses to trim his message. He isn't about gaining power. He's about limiting power so the message, with its full ideological significance, is what he's selling.

Rand Paul may actually attain power in the future. But if so, his mandate will be limited to the practical issues that he focuses on. Ron Paul is seeking a revolution in the way we think about government. That's a very tough sell. We have to accept that fact that if he doubles or triples his totals from four years ago that that is a lot even if it isn't enough to win, place, or even show.

tbone717
02-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Actually it began with Roe v Wade in 1973 and became more of an issue in the 80's when abortions became more and more prevalent. I have been in Evangelical circles for close to 20 years and I can tell you that the major litmus test for all candidates whether it is a local race or a national one, is their view on abortion. It is viewed by Evangelicals not only as a political issue, but a test of one's fundamental beliefs.

lib3rtarian
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
//

Always meant to ask - why do people do this "//"? :confused:

tbone717
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Ron Paul runs a very ideological campaign. You pay a price for that. Voters are looking for practical answers to practical issues. If your ideology isn't practical, then it's no good as an ideology. So there should be no contradiction between the two. But Ron Paul isn't out to persuade. He's out to convert. But that means that he winds up saying things like, "It's all right for Iran to have a nuclear weapon." When he could make his point much better by saying, "The CIA and the Secretary of Defense have said Iran doesn't have a nuclear weapons program. So what is the point in our confrontational policy?" Why make "non-intervention" a dogma. Why not ask, "What has our interventions gotten us? War and debt and little more. We intervene too much, and we can't afford it anymore."

Rand Paul understands this much better than his father. If you justify the ideology on practical grounds first, you will persuade more voters although you may convert fewer of them.

Ron Paul's been campaigning a lot longer than I have, so I think he knows what he's doing. There's a reason why he refuses to trim his message. He isn't about gaining power. He's about limiting power so the message, with its full ideological significance, is what he's selling.

Rand Paul may actually attain power in the future. But if so, his mandate will be limited to the practical issues that he focuses on. Ron Paul is seeking a revolution in the way we think about government. That's a very tough sell. We have to accept that fact that if he doubles or triples his totals from four years ago that that is a lot even if it isn't enough to win, place, or even show.

Very good points. I think what frustrates many of us, especially those that have been at this for many, many years, is that the campaign seems to be squandering a golden opportunity. While I understand that Paul wants to convert rather than persuade there is a time and place for that. Now is the time to persuade, and going into this election season we had enough hands on deck, and the attention of the American voter to elect a true conservative as the nominee for the first time since 1980. It is possible that our quest to be ideologically driven has cost us a precious opportunity. My only hope if Paul does not get the nomination, is that we learn from our mistakes and in 2016 run a candidate that is both ideologically sound and politically savvy.

tbone717
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Always meant to ask - why do people do this "//"? :confused:

I deleted a post. At least that is why I do it.

seawolf
02-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Minnesota is our best chance, before the Maine results are announced on Saturday, February 11th.

Colorado is a closed Republican caucus and Ron is polling at 12%.

If you volunteer for the Phone from Home Monday, Monday night and Tuesday, I would suggest calling Minnesota voters. That is what we can all do right now!!!

J_White
02-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I think after Maine, the next focus should be winning Washington, I dont expect much from CO, but I hope we do good in Minnesota.