PDA

View Full Version : Romney is Ron Pauling to great heights.

affa
02-05-2012, 06:30 AM
It's 4:30 am here and I should be asleep. I just rewatched Romney's victory speech.

It's quite clear he's is doing 3 things:

1) Ron Pauling about the Constitution and debt issues, u
2) Criticizing Obama, especially in regards to the economy. Using his business experience as 'proof' he understands the economy.
3) Differentiating himself from Paul on one key point - he keeps talking about building a military 'that no other country would ever think of attacking'.

1+3 effectively means he's Ron Pauling all of the 'core value' principals of RP, but glossing it over with what the people want to hear. Mind you, this requires an almost ignorant level of understanding --
1) we already have the most powerful military, by far
2) a strong military did not prevent 9/11
3) you can not 'balance the budget' while increasing the military like he suggests.

Anyway. My point is this... listening to him speak, I understand part of the issue we're having. It's quite clear that the other candidates stealing Ron Paul's platforms is working. They all now talk about the Constitution, the Fed, and other issues so often that people not paying attention don't realize Ron Paul is the only one that actually means it.

My suggestion solution? I think Ron Paul needs to amp up his differences. He needs to put forth ideas that no other candidate will touch with a ten foot pole, but will appeal to the people. He needs to embrace his differences with the party... because we already have a Romney 'dedicated to the Constitution', a Gingrich that speaks of the gold standard, and a Santorum that talks about the debt.

So embrace the differences. Amplify them.

Ok. That was my 4:30 vent. Mods, feel free to move.

TruckinMike
02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Nice vent, good points, no need to move, just Keep on Truckin'.:)

TMike

trey4sports
02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
calling for a larger military isn't really ron pauling.

He is merely hitting the points his advisers have tested to have good reactions from the focus groups.

Trigonx
02-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I watched about a min of Romney speech, the part i heard was "We got something to follow, and that's the Constitution"

He Ron Pauled the hell out of his speech last night.

ironj221
02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
When has rhetoric ever matched reality? :(

Oh yeah...with Ron Paul.

No1butPaul
02-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I couldn't bear to listen to his whole speech, but I saw a clip and heard him say he wanted to give us freedom and liberty and threw in the word constitution. Yet, he stands by the constitution, but supports the NDAA and we should just trust our King, I mean president, to do the right thing. I wish some reporter would ask him about that minor discrepancy -- I know, it will never happen.

You can just see how desperately W"M"R wants to be the President that it's sickening.

The thread last night was amazing to follow and of which to be a part ... then CNN picked up the Adelson scuffle, then they showed our RP supporters making their impassioned speeches, then the voting counting where RP handily won the caucus ... it was AMAZING!!!!!! In my mind, it was such a CLEAR VICTORY to have Dr. Paul speaking so long on CNN from Minnesota and have all the coverage of the supporters speaking at the caucus. No matter what, he still ends up with 2 delegates and, speaking for myself, last night got me even more FIRED UP.

Feeding the Abscess
02-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Santorum is doing it to a greater degree, if you ask me.

Revolution9
02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
IF<- he takes the nomination he is going to pick RP for VP. If RP takes the nomination he will take MR as VP. Ron has been teaching him what it's all about. Romney admitted at one of the last debates he is learning what it really means to be a conservative and has altered his views as he understood the nature of the issue.. He certainly is not learning that from grinch, perry or sanitorium.

He will be Ron Pauling alot more along the campaign trail. RP has changed the political discourse and the politicians are following...as the people lead. The Lord works in mysterious ways and politics make strange bedfellows.

<ducks thrown furniture>
Rev9

Join The Paul Side
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Romney is winning because he is campaigning on what people want to hear right now. Anti-Obama rhetoric, jobs, the economy. People think he can beat Obama. They think he can create jobs and fix the economy.

Ron needs a jobs plan and has to hit the trail talking about how his policies will help the private sector create jobs. Ron needs to start campaigning against Obama also. Unless he does these things it is going to be hard for him to win.

The media made sure that Ron was cut out of the jobs discussion during the debates. Ron must make up ground on this issue and fast. :cool:

twomp
02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Great ideas, too bad it is all worthless if we continue to allow the GOP to steal our elections. Dr. Paul could say he would cure cancer if he were president and it won't matter if the people counting the votes say no thank you.

trey4sports
02-05-2012, 12:02 PM
IF<- he takes the nomination he is going to pick RP for VP. If RP takes the nomination he will take MR as VP. Ron has been teaching him what it's all about. Romney admitted at one of the last debates he is learning what it really means to be a conservative and has altered his views as he understood the nature of the issue.. He certainly is not learning that from grinch, perry or sanitorium.

He will be Ron Pauling alot more along the campaign trail. RP has changed the political discourse and the politicians are following...as the people lead. The Lord works in mysterious ways and politics make strange bedfellows.

<ducks thrown furniture>
Rev9

you sir, could not be anymore wrong.

One of the worst predictions I've ever read on RPF.

May god have mercy on your soul.

Aaaaaaaaaaand if i happen to be wrong I'll eat my shorts.

affa
02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
calling for a larger military isn't really ron pauling.

He is merely hitting the points his advisers have tested to have good reactions from the focus groups.

i didn't say it was - you're missing my point. he's Ron Pauling then adding a veneer of 'a bigger military'. Which means he's full of it, since you can't do that and do the rest of the things he's actually Ron Pauling.

rockandrollsouls
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I think Romney is just saying a lot of what the old folks in the GOP and media want to hear.

My personal opinion....if Ron has personally befriended Romney and his wife is friends with Romney's wife...I'm sure he's swayed him a little bit. We know Ron really doesn't tend to be friends with completely soulless individuals. In all honesty, I'd like to believe Ron has in some way opened Romney's eyes...maybe he does have a conscience and is just playing the same cards so if he does get into office he may actually attempt to do some good.

Who knows.

rockandrollsouls
02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't think he'll take Ron as VP. However, I do think Romney is actually learning more about conservative values. A huge flag, if Romney does get the nod, is him picking a "Ron Paul" approved vice president. Say, Luis Fortuno. Further, I'm also hopeful Fortuno's endorsement of Romney was kind of a sign. He's a smart guy....and a pretty conservative one...

This could be chess....or it could be ball-in-a-cup.

you sir, could not be anymore wrong.

One of the worst predictions I've ever read on RPF.

May god have mercy on your soul.

Aaaaaaaaaaand if i happen to be wrong I'll eat my shorts.

heavenlyboy34
02-05-2012, 12:46 PM

<ducks thrown furniture>
Rev9
I highly doubt he could win a general election without RP. Last poll I saw (a few weeks ago), RP was the only won who could beat Obama alone.

tribute_13
02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
We already have a military that no one wants to fuck with. We provide them with easy targets being stretched out. Also, Romney's business experience leads me to believe he'd be the first president to sell off some land to China.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Folks delusional about Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney is Frank Luntzing. He's a facade. It's all about power and control. He'll say and do whatever to obtain that power. Manipulation, lying, distorting, all fair game. He'll say what you want to hear. To think Mitt is actually sincere with anything he says you have to be insane. He knows the things Ron says is popular, so he repeats them. You all have to be aloof to get suckered into that crap.

You know....after this election I think I'll actively work to defeat every single Republican candidate on the ballot in toto (sans the Paulites). The GOP is a pox. GOP dies so does Fox. Good riddance!