PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Ronald Paul: So, What Is In A Name?

michaelwise
11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
When I first heard the name Ron Paul about 6 months ago, I thought the name Ron was short for Ronald, but I wasn't sure because I never saw his full name in print. After a while of doing a little research I discovered he is a medical doctor as well.

If I were to here the name Dr. Ronald Paul or Ronald Paul MD today for the first time, I would not have a couple questions arising in my mind, about who he is.

Rock stars from time to time request that they be referred to be a different name, and the media is happy to comply. For the purposes of marketing our candidate better, I think a request from Dr. Ronald Paul to be referred to by his formal name, would go a long way in introducing him to people who have never heard of him before.

To his friends and supporters, the name Ron Paul is fine. For use in campaign materials, the name Ron Paul is fine.

So the question is: Would you like to have the good doctor be introduced on TV and Radio Programs as Dr. Ronald Paul, or abandon any edge we may get in name recognition by not using his formal name?

mwkaufman
11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Why is Ronald better than Ron? He should go by what he goes by, which is Ron.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-12-2007, 10:45 AM
He's trying to invoke some Reaganism lol

Jordan
11-12-2007, 10:45 AM
I think the use of Dr. is a very important part to the campaign.

Adamsa
11-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Ronald would invoke some Reaganism, or at least attention for that, as cheesy as it is.

ladyliberty
11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Doctor is IMPORTANT - Mister just does not have the same umph, and the fact that he is a Medical Doctor is very important to those considering the issues of the Health Care System.

jake
11-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Doctor Ronald Paul or Doctor Ron Paul.. both are good introductions for someone who has never heard of him.

michaelwise
11-12-2007, 11:03 AM
To Mark Levin I say, It's Dr. Ronald Paul to you, maggot.

stevedasbach
11-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Dr. is great, but it's too late to change Ron to Ronald. Also, I don't see that we gain anything by it.

Visual
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Ronald reminds me of McDonalds clown.. ronald mcdonald.....

Majority non-political types will think of the same thing too...

freelance
11-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I much prefer Dr. to Congressman for a couple of reasons. For those who remember, he's a Marcus Welby figure (i.e., what doctors used to be), and doctor trumps lawyer by a country mile. There are 435 Congresscritters, but there is only one Dr. Paul.

JMann
11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I have said before that if it was me I would go by Dr. Ronald Paul because I don't like single syllable first and last names. That is just me he can do what he wants and I do think it is a little late in the game to request the media to change. For the simple fact that Republicans are always looking for the next Ronald Reagan and the first debate was at the Reagan library this would of been a possibly worthwhile change. Once again that is just me and Dr. Paul should go by whatever name he likes.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Don't forget that his middle name actually means 'Honest' - as in "Ronald Ernest Paul"

Original_Intent
11-12-2007, 11:30 AM
He is well known as Ron Paul.

This would just look like a cheap "repackaging gimmick".

Substance over style. Asking to be called Ronald or even referring to him as Ronald would look like a cheap stunt and would undermine everything that he stands for.

Nothing wrong with the name Ronald, but the idea of a name change at this point, not a good one.

michaelwise
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I can see in the future, roads being named after him; Dr. Ronald E. Paul Blvd., schools being named after him; Dr. Ronald E. Paul Elementary. Would Ron prefer his formal name be used?

MRoCkEd
11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
but there is a Dr. Rand Paul

Goldwater Conservative
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Don't forget that his middle name actually means 'Honest' - as in "Ronald Ernest Paul"

I like that! Even if it was also Che Guevara's real name...

theseus51
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Dr. Ronald Paul, formerly known as Ron Paul

DealzOnWheelz
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Anybody notice his initials

R.E.P. ublican

now we just need to get him more rep!!

michaelwise
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Dr. Ronald Paul, formerly known as Ron PaulI like it.
Or how's this, Dr. Ron E. Paul?