PDA

View Full Version : Could Paul really cut 1 Trillion in the first year?

MrAustin
02-03-2012, 12:04 AM
If Paul was president and he brought the troops home, would the military spending continue in some way (manufacturing weapons, etc)? Would he need congressional approval to stop it? Or could Paul just pull the plug and refuse to sign the checks (so to speak)?

harikaried
02-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Wasn't Obama threatening that he wasn't sure if Social Security checks would be sent out if the debt ceiling wasn't raised? What's to prevent the executive branch from not spending money allocated to them?

playpianoking
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Ya it's easy to cut at trillion - just do it. If everyone likes having 1/3 of their paycheck taken to pay for SS they will never see or nation-building, then I don't know what to say because there probably isn't much to wake them up. That's where we need the strong RP supporters that persuade and convert to come in. The monumental difference between ideologies is beyond me to even try to wake them up.

specsaregood
02-03-2012, 12:40 AM
If Paul was president and he brought the troops home, would the military spending continue in some way (manufacturing weapons, etc)? Would he need congressional approval to stop it? Or could Paul just pull the plug and refuse to sign the checks (so to speak)?

I'm pretty sure that at this point there isn't anything a President can't do. I mean if they can kill all of us without any oversight or trial then yeah, he can cut spending.

Mark37snj
02-03-2012, 01:09 AM
He could do more then that. He could re-introduce his bill or use his office to cancel $1.6T in debt held by Federal Reserve ON TOP of whatever else he has planned. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?357959-Rep.-Ron-Paul-introduces-bill-to-cancel-1.6T-in-debt-held-by-Federal-Reserve

Edward
02-03-2012, 01:13 AM

I do not believe the military spending accounts for the entire $1 trillion Ron would plan to cut. A large amount would be cut through the elimination of the five cabinet-level agencies, however, those were created by Congress so I assume that the could only be eliminated by Congress. I'm not sure if he would refuse to hire the Cabinet Secretaries, or simply direct the various Secretaries to immediately phase out their operations.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/ron-paul-plan-to-restore-america/

affa
02-03-2012, 01:29 AM
I do not believe the military spending accounts for the entire $1 trillion Ron would plan to cut. A large amount would be cut through the elimination of the five cabinet-level agencies, however, those were created by Congress so I assume that the could only be eliminated by Congress. I'm not sure if he would refuse to hire the Cabinet Secretaries, or simply direct the various Secretaries to immediately phase out their operations.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/ron-paul-plan-to-restore-america/

As a concession to Romney for his delegates, I hereby suggest President Paul offers him a role in dismantling excessive government agencies. I hear Romney has some experience with such activities.

ryanmkeisling
02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
If it couldn't be done, Ron Paul would not be campaigning on it. He is truly an honest man, a rare thing in America, an even rarer thing in politics.:)

Edward
02-03-2012, 01:31 AM
As a concession to Romney for his delegates, I hereby suggest President Paul offers him a role in dismantling excessive government agencies. I hear Romney has some experience with such activities.

I like it. It could backfire if Ron stated that publicly, but I like it.

SCOTUSman
02-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Absolutely. He could also refuse to sign into law (and veto) a bill that would spend further. He could easily say, he won't sign into any extra spending unless it is offset by further cuts that result in a surplus rather than a deficit.

The President has turned into a powerhouse. The President was never meant to be so powerful, but why can't Paul use some of the exponential executive power growth and tame it, but at the same time use it to cut spending. He could easily do it. Also about coalition building too. He could set congress straight.