PDA

View Full Version : NY soldier from RI who was wounded on Afghan tour admits killing infant

moderate libertarian
02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Pretty sad story how a war hero's life was affected by ptsd. After sacrificing in Afghanistan, he could end up getting 15 years to life in prison:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ny-soldier-from-ri-who-was-wounded-on-afghan-tour-admits-killing-infant-he-was-trying-to-adopt/2012/01/31/gIQATcPlfQ_story.html

Indy Vidual
02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Stressed out people still need to be responsible for their actions. Yes, very sad...

kuckfeynes
02-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Calling someone with PTSD "stressed out" is pretty distasteful.

Not saying something shouldn't be done, but what this guy obviously needs is a psych ward, not a jail cell.

Indy Vidual
02-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Calling someone with PTSD "stressed out" is pretty distasteful...

The 'S' stands for stress ;)

People w/ any type of excuse still need to be responsible for their actions.

donnay
02-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Very sad. This is one of the reasons the suicide rate in returning veterans are so high.

moderate libertarian
02-02-2012, 11:41 PM
There is a TV ad playing thses days that says than half of Iraq/Afghan wars veterans called 9/11 veterans suffer from PTSD.

The 'S' stands for stress ;)

Stress Disorder initself is euphemism and "stressed out" does not begin to describe mental affect from seeing their friends or their own limbs blown apart or witnessing innocent civilians killed. This is a very different emotional state than having a tough day at office even if "stress" is used in both instances.

Indy Vidual
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
There is a TV ad playing thses days that says than half of Iraq/Afghan wars veterans called 9/11 veterans suffer from PTSD.

Stress Disorder initself is euphemism and "stressed out" does not begin to describe mental affect from seeing their friends or their own limbs blown apart or witnessing innocent civilians killed. This is a very different emotional state than having a tough day at office even if "stress" is used in both instances.

Fine:
People who see their friends or their own limbs blown apart still need to be responsible for their actions.

moderate libertarian
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Fine:
People who see their friends or their own limbs blown apart still need to be responsible for their actions.

Agreed, everyone is responsible for their actions but every action is seen in the context it takes place. That is why soldiers are rewarded when they killl in war zone and punished when they do so at home.

papitosabe
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
there was a show on PBS last night...I think its from 2008. Its about soldiers and their thoughts on killing innocent civilians, kids, women. It was sad, but damn good. I forget the name of the show, but I also saw them in segments on youtube.

Also found some vids regarding US soldiers against "the banksters war"

Indy Vidual
02-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Agreed, everyone is responsible for their actions but every action is seen in the context it takes place. That is why soldiers are rewarded when they killl in war zone and punished when they do so at home.

there was a show on PBS last night...I think its from 2008. Its about soldiers and their thoughts on killing innocent civilians, kids, women. It was sad, but damn good. I forget the name of the show, but I also saw them in segments on youtube.

Also found some vids regarding US soldiers against "the banksters war"

More than one of my good friends older brothers were "severely damaged" in Vietnam.
I'm caught between "caring too much" and being a lot happier when I ignore almost everything.
Let's hope most of the troops can come home soon...

Mark37snj
02-03-2012, 12:10 AM
One more reason to bring all our troops home. Can you imagine a kid straight out of High School, joining he military, is now 30 and has been deployed almost his entire adult life. Most of us were bar hopping, chasing girls, playing sports, and chasing more girls. These guys were being bombed and shot at for 10 years

XTreat
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
This is very sad, I personally have two friends that have commited suicide and am surround by varying levels of PTSD. You can just tell some people are not quite right even though they are perfectly nice and seem like good guys. ALL of us are divorced. This is the unseen effects of war on a generation and only Ron Paul understands or cares. Probably my number one reason for supporting him.

Indy Vidual
02-03-2012, 12:18 AM
One more reason to bring all our troops home. Can you imagine a kid straight out of High School, joining he military, is now 30 and has been deployed almost his entire adult life. Most of us were bar hopping, chasing girls, playing sports, and chasing more girls. These guys were being bombed and shot at for 10 years

I expected huge anti-war protests, but they barely happened at all, since there is (currently) no draft.

papitosabe
02-03-2012, 12:26 AM

I've always thought if it was me, it wouldn't have affected me at all. **but now, I highly doubt that** But you're absolutely right.... being bombed...shot at...but killing innocent people I can't imagine, even though it happens more than we know... a buddy of mine was in the gulf war, and still has nightmares...great guy, but still won't talk about the real things that happened there as I can tell he'd be ashamed to tell... the gov't should be ashamed how they use patriotism to cover up women and children being murdered... now I know why so many in other countries despize the US...

moderate libertarian
02-03-2012, 12:28 AM

Recently watched a movie "Liberty Kid". It's on Netflix, not terribly gripping plot but a dialog there was interesting. An army recruiter tells a young poor black immigrant aprehesive about risks of war zones that he had better chance of surviving in Afghanistan than his neighborhood in American city. Truly sad state of affairs if this kind of lines are used by recruiters.

Mark37snj
02-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I expected huge anti-war protests, but they barely happened at all, since there is (currently) no draft.

Yup, and given the level of apathy and selfishness in our society, one of the best ways to combat this is for the troops to simply not re-enlist. But some have no choice because the goverment has some clause that basically drafts them if they attempt to not re-enlist.

Mark37snj
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
This

I've always thought if it was me, it wouldn't have affected me at all. **but now, I highly doubt that** But you're absolutely right.... being bombed...shot at...but killing innocent people I can't imagine, even though it happens more than we know... a buddy of mine was in the gulf war, and still has nightmares...great guy, but still won't talk about the real things that happened there as I can tell he'd be ashamed to tell... the gov't should be ashamed how they use patriotism to cover up women and children being murdered... now I know why so many in other countries despize the US...

And this

Recently watched a movie "Liberty Kid". It's on Netflix, not terribly gripping plot but a dialog there was interesting. An army recruiter tells a young poor black immigrant aprehesive about risks of war zones that he had better chance of surviving in Afghanistan than his neighborhood in American city. Truly sad stat
e of affairs if this kind of lines are used by recruiters.

Is why I have no illusion that we are fighting true evil.

moderate libertarian
02-03-2012, 12:46 AM
This

And this

Is why I have no illusion that we are fighting true evil.

Hard to disagree with you on this. It is sad how lives of so many young people in economically deprived situations are damaged by these commision motivated agents. I salute kids of millionaires, Presidents, Congress members who served on front lines in Iraq.

Mark37snj
02-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Hard to disagree with you on this. It is sad how lives of so many young people in economically deprived situations are damaged by these commision motivated agents. I salute kids of millionaires, Presidents, Congress members who served on front lines in Iraq.

Your arm must be well rested.

RickBelmont
02-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Stressed out people still need to be responsible for their actions. Yes, very sad...
Wow, that's a pretty passive-aggressive statement!

You tried to say that you were just mentioning the S in PTSD, but in reality what you were doing is trying to diminish what PTSD is.

Stress is both a biological word and psychological, with very broad usage and colloquial misuse. You were using this term in a colloquial sense to try and associate PTSD with general stress. As if it's no big deal.

This really exposes what kind of person you probably are.

PTSD is a terrible anxiety disorder that is the result of terrible trauma, Veterans get this as a result of exposure to violence. Possibly exacerbated by a return to an unstable, semi-authoritarian matriarchy populated by sub beta males. Leaving a paternal world where males act like males, then trying to get by in a world where males act like females is definitely a multiplier.

RickBelmont
02-03-2012, 01:02 AM

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

War has not changed since the beginning of time. The failure is sending people to war to fight an enemy that has no morality, and in turn expecting our soldiers to forget the atrocities committed against them.

Now I know why so many people hate Ron Paul supporters. I think the military supporters do not have exposure to comments like you have made, otherwise I am sure they wouldn't support Paul.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-03-2012, 01:10 AM

War has not changed since the beginning of time. The failure is sending people to war to fight an enemy that has no morality, and in turn expecting our soldiers to forget the atrocities committed against them.

Now I know why so many people hate Ron Paul supporters. I think the military supporters do not have exposure to comments like you have made, otherwise I am sure they wouldn't support Paul.

What? Seems like a case of projection to me. We invaded a country in which 90% of the population never knew what 9/11 was. Many of these folks have been killed, misplaced, maimed, and worst yet tortured and or seen their loves one killed by invaders. I would have the same antipathy if I were in their shoes. It's the height of collectivism to brand an entire country for a crime committed by a small primarily Saudi-Arabian segment of folks.

Further, war has changed a lot over the centuries. Once leaders of the Nation rode out onto battle and civilians were not in any way shape or form targeted or harmed. Many actually used to go out on the battlefield and watch the two sides kill each other.

Guess what, a majority of the politically aware veterans and active duty support Ron Paul and his message. I happen to be one of them. Perhaps you should think before your fingers get ahead of you.

Mark37snj
02-03-2012, 01:25 AM

I don't believe he was singling out our troops as the culprits, but more like our fearless leaders who sent them there to occupy those countries. No one can argue against the fact that we stayed too long and should have been out of there a long time ago and fought it differently. But our leaders wanted Dominion over those lands that are not ours so the blood and murder of civilians and children fall on our leaders and not the troops who had no choice in the matter. The fact that they choose to come home and commit suicide instead of going totally postal over there on civilians is a testement of human character and morality of the highest order rarely seen in this country these days.

RockEnds
02-03-2012, 05:47 AM
This wasn't his child he killed. This was a child that was placed with him. He shouldn't have passed the home study. The military is failing to identify and treat these problems. This was a tragedy that was completely preventable.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Soldiers Home

http://mrsrichards.com/handouts/Juniors/soldier.pdf

Perfect Day for Bananafish

http://www.miguelmllop.com/stories/stories/bananafish.pdf