PDA

View Full Version : Help me win someone over

tomahawk
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone have a second to come up with a reply for this, maybe a good interview where Ron talks about this stuff.
Someone was complaining about their taxes and I asked if they have given Ron Paul any thought and they replied back with this.

"yes I have, did like what he says on foreign policy, but do not like what he says on reducing the govt. Looks like he's looking in the wrong places and by elmiating the depts he wants to only gives big business the edge, not the everyday worker. Haven't heard him say anything about wall ST - where the main problem is. But he is the most consistant of any Repuliican that is running- I'd take him over Newt and Romney - but I don't think he can beat Obama"

Obviously I can point to the polls that show Ron even with Obama when head to head, but maybe an interview she can watch with Ron talking about crony capitalism or something along those lines.

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
After World War 1, we brought all the troops home, and we reduced our spending/government by 40%. This saved enough enough money for us to go into World War 2. After World War 2, we saw the largest economic boom in industrial history, because we cut government/spending, and we paid off our debts.

zadrock
02-02-2012, 06:02 PM
the best response i have to this is that if big business wanted a free market, they would donate millions to him. but when you go to fec.gov or opensecrets.org, you notice that RP gets most of his money as small donations (<$200) and it is Romney and Obama who are getting donations from Goldman Sachs and the other banksters.

so start there. If Big Business wants to shrink government, why don't they give ANY money to Ron Paul.

Then you can point out that government is a monopoly with final authority. What would Big Business prefer? A situation where government is big and they get to run it? Or a situation where government is small and they get to run it? In the first case, big Business can eliminate all of their competition via onerous regulations and such. In the second case.... not so much.

Anyways, I think you get the idea. The reality is that when we have Big Government, Big Business ALREADY has the edge.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Have him read The Triumph of Conservatism. It clearly demonstrates that contra popular belief business and State benefit from the regulatory and control regime.

http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Conservatism-Gabriel-Kolko/dp/0029166500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328227612&sr=8-1

It should appeal more to the lefty types as the author was a prominent New Leftist historian (a good one too).

No book details the historical relationship between big business and the Federal government better than this one. Though confined merely to the so-called Progressive Era in American history (1901-1914), Kolko manages to overturn all the misconceptions about the formation of government regulation in America. Instead of accepting the standard view that federal regulation of business was inspired by the Progressive intellectuals and activist political leaders eager to put a check on the rising power of big business, Kolko shows that it was really inspired by the drive of businessman to limit competition and bring "stability" into the market. The result is what Kolko calls, appropriately enough, "political capitalism." Some earlier reviews have attempted to draw an ideological lesson from this book. This is a mistake. If there is a lesson to be drawn from Kolko's work, it is the failure of all ideologies (whether from the right, left, or center) to adequately explain the rise of political capitalism in America. Both the right and the left share the common assumption that government regulation hurts big business. Kolko proves that this isn't the case, that Big Business is in favor of regulation and the throttling of competition. Kolko's book is a must read for anyone who wants to understand what capitalism and politics is really all about.

zadrock
02-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Have him read The Triumph of Conservatism.

Good call. Phenomenal book.

otherone
02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Good Gravy. Dr.Paul was the first candidate to to call out crony capitalism. Dr.Paul condemns Wall Street-K Street collusion.

harikaried
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Haven't heard him say anything about wall ST - where the main problem is.Point out that Ron Paul is the only one that reaches out to the Occupy movement. Ron Paul agrees that the wealthy people that get rich from government involvement should be punished. These wealthy people include the big banks that got the bailout and military suppliers that keep pushing for more wars. Ron Paul wants to stop the wars and government business involvement and take care of the people at home such as those on Social Security or Medicare.

low preference guy
02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
"yes I have, did like what he says on foreign policy, but do not like what he says on reducing the govt. Looks like he's looking in the wrong places and by elmiating the depts he wants to only gives big business the edge, not the everyday worker. Haven't heard him say anything about wall ST - where the main problem is. But he is the most consistant of any Repuliican that is running- I'd take him over Newt and Romney - but I don't think he can beat Obama"

Tell him this: Ron Paul opposed the bailout. He would let all those irresponsible Wall Street firms go bankrupt. That's a lot better than Obama who keeps the Goldman Sachs people in his inner circle and bails them out.

dannno
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbsFjGEtwA

and the short version from my sig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgtC3VJlUf0

Explain that these companies he is talking about are the ones that run the FDA and all these regulatory agencies, and that is where the tyranny is coming from. Nobody can compete with the big food or drug companies because they have regulated the market in such a way that doesn't allow competition.

jmdrake
02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Point out that Ron Paul is the only one that reaches out to the Occupy movement. Ron Paul agrees that the wealthy people that get rich from government involvement should be punished. These wealthy people include the big banks that got the bailout and military suppliers that keep pushing for more wars. Ron Paul wants to stop the wars and government business involvement and take care of the people at home such as those on Social Security or Medicare.

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdSF59PyPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcGT5a9-q7o

Now compare ^that with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCMd9OIUE4

http://patdollard.com/2011/10/obama-receives-more-financial-sector-donations-than-all-gop-candidates-combined/

dannno
Do they toke cannabis?

If so tell them that Ron Paul has said that as a physician he has seen how cannabis can help patients with certain conditions and wants doctors and patients to be able to have that option.

Many believe cannabis is a great medicine that can be helpful with dozens if not hundreds of conditions, and how if the FDA allowed cannabis onto the market it would crush the drug companies.. Therefore the drug companies setup the FDA and drug laws so that natural substances that have medicinal value cannot be sold or advertised as such so that they can have a monopoly on medicine that they can patent.

acptulsa
Big corporations love big, centralized government.

Why? Well, let's see. When the federal regulations are so massive and complex that only Sarah Lee can afford the kind of kitchen it takes to get a federal permit to bake a cake, the only place you will be able to get your kid a birthday cake is from Sarah Lee.

When Mom And Pop's Shoppe requires the same seven lawyers to stay legal as the entire Wal Mart Corporation, then Wal Mart will be able to cover the cost of those seven lawyers without raising prices and Mom And Pop's Shoppe won't.

And we won't even talk about how BP bought Obama and got him to ensure the gulf coast residents and fishermen couldn't sue them, or how you can't sue a company whose pollution harms you if they were in EPA compliance, or how...

Corporations love big, intrusive, centralized government because they can afford to comply and they know small business usually can't. They hate state regulations because they're not uniform, and that means different things to comply in different states. This levels the playing field. and gives small business a chance to compete. Ron Paul wants to eliminate regulations--and is running for federal office. Due to the Ninth and Tenth Amendments and his own proclivities, he will do nothing to restrain state level regulation.

dannno
02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I think it's hard for a lot of people on the left to accept they've been lied to when they can plainly see that people on the right are being lied to.

It's hard to accept everybody is being lied to and pretty much everything is a sham.

cdc482
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
He has talked about Wall Street. Repped the 99% at the last debate. It was awesome.

golibertygirl
02-02-2012, 06:59 PM
As a sidenote, I would mention this point.

You know what else hurts the everyday worker? Inflation. Usually with people on the left, I like to bring up the fact that people are now working two jobs and still barely getting by. If we had sound money (and less government), people wouldn't have to be slaves to their jobs and they could actually enjoy life. Ron Paul is the only one talking about sound money!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul421.html

acptulsa
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
As a sidenote, I would mention this point.

You know what else hurts the everyday worker? Inflation. Usually with people on the left, I like to bring up the fact that people are now working two jobs and still barely getting by. If we had sound money (and less government), people wouldn't have to be slaves to their jobs and they could actually enjoy life. Ron Paul is the only one talking about sound money!

Not only do wages never keep pace with inflation (unless you're the CEO), but it ensures you can't literally save for retirement, you must invest for retirement--and place yourself at the mercy of insider traders.

tomahawk
02-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!