PDA

View Full Version : Find $500M in gold & silver treasure? Return to its "rightful" owners - the government

emazur
02-02-2012, 04:49 AM
I don't like this story one bit. An American excavates long missing (200+ years) treasure from the ocean, and is ordered by a Spanish court to return it (without even a damn finders fee) to the Spanish government which plundered the treasure in the first place. And the U.S. govt. is siding with Spain:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/01/treasure-trove-galleon-returned-spain?CMP=twt_fd

The Wikileaks release of state department cables revealed that US diplomats had offered to side with Spain against Odyssey. The US ambassador in Madrid sought to tie the treasure to attempts by an American citizen, Claude Cassirer, to recover a painting by Camille Pissarro that hangs in Madrid's Thyssen-Bornemizsa museum.

"It was in both governments' interest to avail themselves of whatever margin for manoeuvre they had, consistent with their legal obligations, to resolve both matters in a way that favoured the bilateral relationship," Aguirre told the then culture minister, César Antonio Molina, in July 2008

So next time you find some treasure, don't say nothin' to nobody.

Drex
02-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Whatever happened to finder keepers loser weepers?

Revolution9
02-02-2012, 06:41 AM
If I ever found a treasure it would go public one piece at a time that I would be selling for an anonymous collector as his mandate and agent.

Rev9

NidStyles
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
If I find something of that nature, it's not my position to tell anyone. It's certainly my responsibility to secure my newly discovered assets from the mob though. It's interesting for people to ask why Pirates buried their treasure, and now this should show why.

ctiger2
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Loose lips sink ships.

KingRobbStark
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Spain should give back the treasure to the people it stole it from.

RideTheDirt
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Loose lips sink ships.This