PDA

View Full Version : Has Ron Paul ever said anything to the tune of "I don't think I can get elected" ?

rambone
02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm having a debate and someone seems to think Ron Paul has "stated that he can't and won't win."

Please confirm what I already know.

nano1895
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
He said that he doesn't envision himself in the White House, which meant that he doesnt daydream being in a position of power. But it was spun by the MSM that he didn't think he would win.

sailingaway
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
He didn't even say he didn't envision himself there. He was specifically asked if as he lays there at night going to sleep does he dream of himself in the white house, or some other narcissistic thing, and he said 'no, not really'.

gerryb
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Yep... In 1976 when he first ran.

Then he won, and Carol reminded him that when you put yourself on the ballot, it's a result that can happen =P

The exact quote is much better.

randomname
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
No. But according to the media he says it all the time.

The issue is when they ask him, he never really gives a forceful, satisfactory answer. They have asked him hunderds of times, "Do you really want to win"... and mostly he either shrugs and gives a flippant "Sure," or he goes "That's a silly question," which (somewhat understandibly) they report as if he doesn't really want to win.

zadrock
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
What about that interview with Stephanopolous in the 2008 campaign?

Georgie: What's your goal?
RP: To win.
Georgie: You know that's not gonna happen.

If his goal in 2008 was to win, then certainly his goal now is to win also.

unknown
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
No. He said that he doesnt lay his head down at night and dream about being POTUS.

That was spun so mean that he doesnt think he can win.

Unlike the others, he is not power hungry nor is he a megalomaniac.

Here is the original article which spurred tons of other articles twisting and lying:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/does-ron-paul-see-himself-in-the-oval-office-not-really/

In an exclusive interview, I asked him: “When you lay your head on your pillow at night, do you see yourself in the Oval Office?”

“Not really,” he said.

He went on to say that he’s not blind to the odds, but they are “not as slim as they were 25 years ago.”

What this really means is that he thinks he has a better chance now than ever before.

phill4paul
02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
When asked questions such as these ask to provide direct quotes. Let them spend the time to research and debunk their own myths. Challenge them "Can you provide the direct quote?" It opens them up to the premise that there belief is false and allows you to correct misperceptions.

Philosophy_of_Politics
02-01-2012, 06:13 PM
People are taking the word "envision" out of context. He wasn't admitting that he wouldn't win. He was admitting that he has no aspirations to lead other human beings, because he does not the seat of the presidency as a seat of power, but rather a seat of duties.

acptulsa
02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Actually, I seem to remember him saying that just under four years ago near Super Tuesday '08. Not since.

anaconda
02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
He has said a number of times that he is realistic, understands the odds, is not the frontrunner, etc., etc. But he usually is careful to mention that the primary is highly volatile and that he is a serious contender.

And, as others have already mentioned in this thread, his comment that he "does not see himself in the White House" was definitely taken out of context. He was even asked about this comment in one of the Florida debates (I think the most recent one). All he meant was that he doesn't think about the physical context or stature of being President. He just meant his quest is constitutional and that he doesn't care about the fluff or the power or glory or status (None of the Presidents ever exercise any power. They just do what they're told. So Ron, with his power of veto and his power as Commander-In-Chief would ironically be the most powerful President in a long long time.)

kill the banks
02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
we need to hammer it out what Gallup posted today again :

Ron Paul's Surprising Strength Against Obama
Posted: 01 Feb 2012 08:48 AM PST
You may have missed this, but Texas Congressman Ron Paul scores just about as well against Barack Obama in a general election match-up as does Mitt Romney. Both men do much better than Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum against Obama. Overall, among national registered voters in USA Today/Gallup's polling ending Jan. 28, it’s Obama 48%, Romney 48%. And it’s Obama 49%, Paul 46%.*

papitosabe
02-01-2012, 07:13 PM
I remember one time he said, " i'm not a leader"... i was like, NOOOOOOOO!!!

rambone
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I got my opponent to cite this interview. He clearly distorted what Ron Paul actually said.

Ron Paul was asked if he envisions himself in the Oval Office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2o1aznTM8