PDA

View Full Version : Sugar should be controlled like alcohol

Steve-in-NY
02-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Not like I didnt see this coming about a mile away. Hoping its a joke.
Original Article:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/01/sugar-should-be-controlled-like-alcohol-report/

Heres some selective tidbits:

Sugar is so toxic it should be controlled like alcohol, according to new report that goes so far as to suggest setting an age limit of 17 years to buy soda pop.

It points to sugar as a culprit behind many of the world’s major killers — heart disease, cancer and diabetes — that are now a greater health burden than infectious disease.

A little sugar “is not a problem, but a lot kills — slowly,” says the report to be published Thursday in Nature, a top research journal.

Many schools have removed pop and candy from vending machines, but “often replaced them with juice and sports drinks, which also contain added sugar,” the report says.

Canada and some other countries have also imposed small taxes on some sweetened food, but the researchers say it would take a big price hike to impact consumption.

“Statistical modelling suggests that the price would have to double to significantly reduce soda consumption — so a $1 can should cost $2,” they say.

The report suggests governments introduce zoning rules to control the number of fast-food outlets and convenience stores in low-income communities and around schools.

“Another option would be to limit sales during school operation, or to designate an age limit (such as 17) for the purchase of drinks with added sugar, particularly soda.”

Parents in South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania recently lined up outside convenience stores and blocked children from entering them after school. “Why couldn’t a public-health directive do the same?” says the report.

Unreal.

Krugerrand
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I can't wait to get carded at the grocery store for my 5# bag.

bwlibertyman
02-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Alcohol should be controlled like sugar.

ItsTime
02-01-2012, 02:15 PM
So why are we living longer?

Romulus
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
So why are we living longer?

Government extended our lifespan. Is there nothing govt cant do?
/s

eduardo89
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Alcohol should be uncontrolled like sugar.

Better.

Ronulus
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Better.

Sugar is actually very controlled by government.

ds21089
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if sugar WAS outlawed. Makes it that much easier for them to use high fructose corn syrup instead. It's ironic they mention the "sugar" in soda, because really that's HFCS which causes cancer and organ failure.

donnay
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
The only ones who should control anything is the people, themselves. The word 'control' in of itself, by anyone other than a parent or individual is tyranny!

Edit to add: Everyone should grow a stevia plant.

Jingles
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Are you kidding me?

Icymudpuppy
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
the American Sugar industry is highly tariffed. Imported sugar is so highly taxed which is why sugar is so expensive, and why the soda manufacturers use HFCS instead of real sugar.

JohnGalt1225
02-01-2012, 05:26 PM
No doubt HFCS are very bad for you, but sugar's bad for you as well. I'm not advocating for big brother to outlaw it of course, just stating my mind haha.

Sola_Fide
02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
The only ones who should control anything is the people, themselves. The word 'control' in of itself, by anyone other than a parent or individual is tyranny!

Edit to add: Everyone should grow a stevia plant.

Real stevia from the health food store is wonderful. When I have the money, I get bags of it and put it on everything.

Brian4Liberty
02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
The Police should put up checkpoints on the highway to test driver's blood sugar level.

trey4sports
02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I feel like having a Lewis Black rant right now...

low preference guy
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Alcohol should be controlled like sugar. Totally agree.

roho76
02-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Too bad there's no sugar in pop. I can't wait for them to ban sugar only to have people still getting fat. I just laugh anymore. It's just getting so rediculous.

donnay
02-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Real stevia from the health food store is wonderful. When I have the money, I get bags of it and put it on everything.

Yes it is. Just don't use Truvia and PureVia.

COKE'S STEVIA ('TRUVIA') - WHAT'S REALLY IN IT? (http://www.wnho.net/cokes_truvia.htmhttp://)

Truvia and PureVia: The Controversy of Stevia (http://nutritionwonderland.com/2009/02/stevia-controversy/)

Xylitol is a good substitute and it also helps your teeth.

donnay
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
The Police should put up checkpoints on the highway to test driver's blood sugar level.

In Austin, Texas they were stopping people for DUI's and drawing blood at their checkpoints.

AFPVet
02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
the American Sugar industry is highly tariffed. Imported sugar is so highly taxed which is why sugar is so expensive, and why the soda manufacturers use HFCS instead of real sugar.

Exactly... and HFCS is the sugar which is largely responsible for obesity and associated medical problems. I also agree that stevia should be introduced as a general sweetener.

Noob
02-02-2012, 04:38 AM
They probably want aspartame and artificial sweeteners to be made mandatory for every one but themselves.

awake
02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Create a crisis and get the government to empower you and your people to deal with it. Buracrat Job making 101.

Who can argue with those who claim God or Science is on their side?

I posted this in a similar thread; Where the health Nazis get their game. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany) Next time some boob spouts off about why we need to act, and that the war on big tobacco was a great victory , keep the above link in mind.

Krugerrand
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Create a crisis and get the government to empower you and your people to deal with it. Buracrat Job making 101.

Who can argue with those who claim God or Science is on their side?

I posted this in a similar thread; Where the health Nazis get their game. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany) Next time some boob spouts off about why we need to act, and that the war on big tobacco was a great victory , keep the above link in mind.

Good find. Thanks.

Dr.3D
02-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Government - 'A bunch of fat people sitting around a table, deciding what you can do with your own property.'

WilliamC
02-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Just another step towards total control, regulating what food you can eat.

Want to live? Then agree with the government like a good little peon and get your weekly food rations.

Cause problems and No Soup For You!

The government would regulate air and breathing if it could...oh, that's right. Carbon dioxide tax. They already are working on it.

Anti Federalist
02-02-2012, 07:27 AM

I can buy "real sugar" sodas for a comparable price to HFCS sweetened sodas.

Yes real sugar is more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

The bottom line just looks better by using garbage sugar.

Anti Federalist
02-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Just another step towards total control, regulating what food you can eat.

Want to live? Then agree with the government like a good little peon and get your weekly food rations.

Cause problems and No Soup For You!

The government would regulate air and breathing if it could...oh, that's right. Carbon dioxide tax. They already are working on it.

Thread winner.

Working Poor
02-02-2012, 07:33 AM
If you read your labels you will find that sugar is being taken out and replaced with GMO high fructose corn syrup. Also when you buy your sugar are you buying cane sugar or GMO beet sugar? If it does not say "cane" on the label it is beet sugar.

Brian Coulter
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
This is the insurance lobby's doing. No doubt about it.

donnay
02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I can buy "real sugar" sodas for a comparable price to HFCS sweetened sodas.

Yes real sugar is more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

The bottom line just looks better by using garbage sugar.

Aspartame for them to make is dirt cheap too (made in a lab from fecal matter of e-coli). It's considered to be a sugar substitute with zero calories. There is a definite conspiracy to make people ill, I am convinced of it! Lot's of money to be made for the Medical Industrial Complex and Big Pharma, in the end. Just go to the grocery/drug store and pick up some Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum, no where on the package does it say "Sugar Free" yet it has aspartame. MSG is another...but I digress.

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

xFiFtyOnE
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Excellent! After we regulate sugar we can work on Americas flatulence problem. Flatulence is known to contain many gases that are harmful to the environment such as methane. We could create a new federal department called the Flatulence Administration for Regulation and Tractability. Don't get caught going over your daily flatulence limit or the F.A.R.T. police may be coming to your door. ;)

http://clowntowns.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/fart.jpg