PDA

View Full Version : Which form of media won you to Ron Paul?

wgadget
02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Poll is above.

Orwell
02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Youtube in late 2006 or very early 2007.

ronpaulhemp
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Mine was in mid 2007 when I discovered Dr. Paul at some of the debates on Youtube. I've been hooked ever since!

ronpaulhemp
02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Is there supposed to be a poll with this thread?

kah13176
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Googled "Selective Service" and found one of his essays. Later, saw "The Revolution" in a bookstore.

NYgs23
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I first remember him being talked about on a Catholic forum I was on back in 2007, but it was just a name. I first saw him in one of the 2007 debates: "Oh, that's the guy people on that forum were talking about." I suppose that spurred me to research him a bit and find out that he never voted for a tax hike, never voted for an unbalanced budget...

Luieburger
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I can't remember which one it was. A posting on punditkitchen.com, Bruno the movie, or my friend who told me about him. I think they all happened around the same time. Early 2009.

vechorik
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM

YouTube for me as well (should be added to the poll for as a selection)

Jingles
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I heard his name via some friends. Then watched a couple youtube videos. I don't count those because they didn't really sell me as much as make me interested.

It was reading The Revolution: A Manifesto that did it for me.

Mark37snj
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Youtube

Jenbu
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
My Micro Economics professor talked good things about him, I went on youtube and watched his debates in 09.

wgadget
YouTube for me as well (should be added to the poll for as a selection)

Bleh... I'm having trouble editing the poll with this iPod. Maybe go with online documentary?

JimInNY
Back in 1998 I guess, at a (used to be) conservative discussion forum.

His congressional campaigns were the first and only campaigns I ever funded in any way, until 2007, and then I tossed some money at a few other RP type candidates.

wgadget
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised how many went to Ron by people talking to them!

We should take that to the bank.

Aldanga
Someone on a forum mentioned him in the summer of 2007, so I looked him up. I liked his stances, but wasn't sure about foreign policy. I wondered how he could be right about everything but foreign policy. It didn't make sense that someone who had such sound reasoning would misfire on that one topic. I wasn't totally set in my ways, given I was only 18, so I was open-minded about FP, but still unconvinced. I figured he didn't have a chance, so I put a pin in the idea. I juggled his ideas in my mind for a couple months, eventually becoming convinced that he was right.

It's actually pretty similar to the story of when I accepted reformed theology rather than the Wesleyan Arminianism I had been taught growing up.

Xenu
Voting Record

Unknown.User

ironj221
I honestly cannot remember, but I'm positive it had to be something online. Probably Youtube.

Edward
02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
The Simi Valley debated televised on May 3, 2007. I had no intention of watching it, but I was flipping channels and I thought I would entertain myself with the usual Republican blather, then... WOW! Afterwards, I Googled a lot that night!

RockEnds
02-01-2012, 02:12 PM
It was actually a combination of things. He caught my attention in the debates (may 2007) when he wanted to end the IRS & bring the troops home, but I'm more than a little skeptical of people who make big promises. I came on board after the Des Moines Register ran an article on Dr Paul being excluded from the Taxpayer's forum in DSM. The campaign set up their own forum next door. I drove 100 miles to see him, and I was sold. He definitely had something I hadn't previously seen in a politician, and I liked it. And, of course, he had the right message.

Mckarnin
02-01-2012, 02:13 PM
YouTube

wgadget
02-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Edward, I think that was the first time I saw Ron Paul, too. I couldn't believe how different and honest he seemed. After hours of online research, I was Paulized for life.

bunklocoempire
02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Introduced to Paul by The Daily Show, won over by a MSM "debate".

Specifically, witnessing the Paul vs Rudy "debate" moment. A moment that many said was negative for Paul.:p

(all confirmed with internet research on my part)

Lets_Race
02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Reddit comment thread debates.

Edward
02-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Specifically, witnessing the Paul vs Rudy "debate" moment. A moment that many said was negative for Paul.

Oh, the irony!

tfurrh
02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
I youtubed a fox debate. ............... Idk which answer

tbone717
02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
C-Span, mid 1980's

Christopholes11
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I was warming up to Paul but what actually "won" me over was debate footage I found on Youtube. So I just put "mainstream media debate".

Edward
02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
C-Span, mid 1980's

What took you so long to start spreading the word?!

Deinonychus
02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
YouTube.

I had no idea who Ron Paul was until I saw a bumper sticker that said Ron Paul 2008 on it. I never heard of who this Ron Paul guy was on TV, so I just searched around online.

The 2008 election was the first election I was eligible to vote in, so I made sure to research who I wanted to support.

Matthew5
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Got interested in classical liberalism after a political science class. I got involved with SFL, YAL, CFL, Reason (I was new to the movement :p) and started attending webinars on libertarianism. I picked up Road to Serfdom and a few John Locke essays. I also started reading more in depth about our Founding. I heard some about Dr. Paul through these organizations but it wasn't till I watched the "For Liberty" documentary that I was completely hooked.

TheGrinch
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I had always claimed to be a huge Paul supporter since 2006, but looking at when the Revolution Manifesto book came out, it had to be 2008 when I was sitting over at a buddy's house and picked up the book, not knowing it was by Dr. Paul... I read about 10-15 pages before I asked him "What class is this for?", knowing that the book seemed more like intellectual coursework than something from a politician. It was right then that I was hooked, and began to learn more and more about the libertarian platform.

Of course it helped that I was already heavily disenfranchised with the republican party in particular after the Bush years, and had already opened my eyes to the system that was corrupt, highlighted by the "war on terror" and "drug war".

I even voted for a libertarian in 2004 (Nader maybe?) purely as a protest vote on the issue of war... I had heard of Dr. Paul before I read him and knew we agreed on the important issues, but just never realized before reading him how much more this "liberal conservative" or conservative liberal" as I called myself at the time, actually agreed with everything he and the libertarian platform are fighting for. Let's just say I was an easy sell...

jolynna
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Youtube.

I read Boomerang by Michael Lewis and thought surely NONE of this can be true. Got on my laptop and started doing research about the 2008 crash and ended up on youtube listening to Dr. Paul warn IN ADVANCE that a housing crisis was coming.

Game over. I was a believer.

wgadget
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
YouTube.

I had no idea who Ron Paul was until I saw a bumper sticker that said Ron Paul 2008 on it. I never heard of who this Ron Paul guy was on TV, so I just searched around online.

The 2008 election was the first election I was eligible to vote in, so I made sure to research who I wanted to support.

Dang, I should have put BUMPER STICKER next to YARD SIGN.

TheGrinch
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Youtube.

I read Boomerang by Michael Lewis and thought surely NONE of this can be true. Got on my laptop and started doing research about the 2008 crash and ended up on youtube listening to Dr. Paul warn IN ADVANCE that a housing crisis was coming.

Game over. I was a believer.

Yes, after the collapse he predicted, I went from being sold on him to an all-out Paulbot :D

LoneWolf
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Heard him mentioned on the news in late 2007. By the end of that year was recruiting my family to the cause and handing out information on town squares.

sailingaway
add you tube

raystone
youtube - (I searched on youtube looking for the real reason the U.S. went to war in Iraq).

ronpaulfollower999
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Looked up the presidential candidates via Wikipedia. Saw he was the only anti war Republican. There was a CNBC debate that afternoon and was easily won over (even though I was a Progressive at the time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGKpYaIl0M

nedomedo
02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Alex Jones - End Game Wayne Paul interview. After that I googled Wayne Paul and then found Ron Paul videos and info. The rest is history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HesLDikEets

ronpaulfollower999
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Alex Jones

And this too. He first opened my eyes to the left vs. right illusion.

Kingfisher
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
None of the above.
Learned about R.P. 10 or 12 yrs. ago through the John Birch Society.

He was the the guy who ALWAYS voted pro Constitution.

tbone717
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
What took you so long to start spreading the word?!

Don't equate a forum membership to activity. I've been active in politics for 25 years. I joined the forum for this contest because he has a far more realistic chance at the nomination than he did in 08

Bouleuterion
02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
First, a friend told me to check Ron Paul out, back in 2006-2007... which sparkled my attention to what was being said about RP on Reddit. And then, of course, Youtube.

KingNothing
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Reason.com turned me on to Ron Paul in the very early stages of the last campaign, and Ron's dismantling of Rudy in the debate completely won me over.

I remember a friend telling me "My boy Rudy smacked your boy Paul around the other day! Did you see that?!"

centure7
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Worst poll ever. It should have five options involving the internet. C'mon now! Start over. Stupid poll.

emazur
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Sometime in the earily/mid 2000s from an email newsletter from The Advocates for Self Government:
http://theadvocates.org/newsletter

“The Advocates has made invaluable contributions to the freedom cause. For over twenty years, the Advocates has worked tirelessly to help libertarians better communicate the ideas of liberty. I continue to be impressed by the Advocates' work."

- Congressman Ron Paul
http://theadvocates.org/about/

peluski17
02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I voted for MSM debate, but really youtube won me over.

Sola_Fide
02-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Hard to say. I remember reading some of his articles on LRC a long time ago...then the debates in 08 put me over the edge. Then I totally disavowed politics for years, then Rand drew me back in. Then Ron ran again.

Endthefednow
02-01-2012, 05:10 PM
You tube in April 2011 after watching the Money Masters Vids all 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXb-LrVkuwM

heavenlyboy34
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Pretty sure it was on Charles Goyette's show in '07, but don't remember for sure.

JohnCrabtree
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I was first introduced to Ron Paul in an editorial in Backwoods Home Magazine in probably January or February of 2007

1stAmendguy
02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Alex Jones

DanConway
02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
None of the above. The first time I heard about him standing alone in Congress -- alone on the side of the Constitution -- on so many votes and read a couple of his Texas Straight Talk columns, I knew he was by far the best legislator the US government had.

TruthisTreason
02-01-2012, 05:50 PM
The media (debates) turned me on, but the internet finished the job.

FlatIron
02-01-2012, 05:51 PM
last May, Someone showed me a youtube video of him in congress, talking about the war on libya

bbartlog
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
A funny little paper brochure that was handed to me on a college campus in 1988, comparing the Dems and Republicans to Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Ron Paul literature for when he was running on the Libertarian ticket. I didn't follow his career closely in the ten years after but would certainly have supported him for president at any time after that initial seed was planted.

mad cow
02-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Books.
I didn't have internet until 1999,didn't have a fast enough connection for you tube until last year.
I joined the Libertarian party in the mid '80s, after decades of just wanting to be left alone by those in D.C.,realizing
that they would never leave me alone,I would have to fight them.
I still dream of the day when it won't matter who is elected to power in D.C.,when they are all bound by the chains
of the Constitution and can't affect my liberty.

newbitech
02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Aaron Russo - From Freedom to Fascism online Documentary

http://freedomtofascism.com/

p (http://freedomtofascism.com/)retty sure it was via alex jones but not infowars, possibly rense.com, i think

Fredom101
02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
I started subscribing to his website in like 2004 after I read a quote from him. At that time I would say "there is only one person in gov't I like and that's Ron Paul from Texas".

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Can we start calling the media the Corporate Media instead of 'Mainstream' as the latter gives it an aura of credibility when it should have none and should be rightfully condemned as propaganda for the boobisie as much as possible.

RPtotheWH
02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I picked talking with someone but the way I found him was on a Firearms message board. I heard blips of him on Camaro message boards that got me a little curious. Then the full-on supporters on the FMB and off I was, found RPF shortly after. So make sure you spread the word on your hobby places too. It works!

Carole
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I kept coming across, "If you Google Ron Paul". Wondered who was Ron Paul and looked him up. Fell in love with his philosophy and adored the man. He and his philosophy of government were what I had been searching for my entire adult life. :) After I learned more and more about him, everything became quite clear. I had known something was very wrong in America and I finally understood. :)

Shane Harris
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
youtube should be an option. it was youtube in late 2008 and early 2009 for me, along with revolution a manifesto at the beginning of 2009

RPtotheWH
02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I picked talking with someone but the way I found him was on a Firearms message board. I heard blips of him on Camaro message boards that got me a little curious. Then the full-on supporters on the FMB and off I was, found RPF shortly after. So make sure you spread the word on your hobby places too. It works!

Oh to further this I am more of a sporadic poster on message boards and do a lot more reading. So make sure the message is put out there somehow. Lots of others are reading it too!

cartemj06
02-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I wanted to share a little. I was looking for the primary info, and I started to watch videos of the full debates. As I heard RP answer questions I thought for sure that a mean trick had been played on me where somehow the republicans had found a dream candidate to screw us all over with. I started researching more and I found out that a mean trick had been played on me my entire life! I was always conservative, but I thought that republicans all shared my ideals of less spending, less taxing, less gov't interference in daily life, less social welfare programs, standing behind our veterans and pride in hard work... Turns out that I hadn't been paying close enough attention between glen beck shows and neo-con radio. It felt like something was wrong-- Here I was seeing the candidate that I always thought the republicans would go ape over and he was being completely disregarded. I decided to see what the cantankerous old looney was saying and if he believed any of it. The more I looked at RP the more hooked I am. It is to the point of absolute emotions for me now. I feel betrayed by our government and the media, I feel lied to and misled, I am on rage about the way this man is treated and marginalized. I am pissed off about getting pissed on for so long.
The internet did it in.

As a result, I want the GOP to know something. Win or lose, nomination or not, this is the last chance the GOP has to ever get my vote. I am DONE with their crap and I want my country back. After 2012 I am no longer a republican.

rpwi
02-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Didn't discover/was won over Paul by per say but rather the libertarian party ideal. Found out about their ideas from a vote selector website while doing research on the 2000 election...really liked how they were bringing up issues nobody else was talking about and so much made sense. Was a big Harry Browne fan...found out about Ron Paul shortly thereafter from other internet forums where people kept bringing him. At first, honestly, I wasn't the biggest fan as he seemed too republican to be a libertarian (especially didn't like his vote to authorize the Afghanistan War which Harry Browne opposed). Was very impressed later however when Ron Paul found his anti-war voice.

fuzzybekool
02-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I actually saw a 5th of November Money bomb video on YouTube which was trending that day back in 2007. It's not a choice in the poll, but that is how I heard about Ron Paul.

MMXII
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
as much as i try and tune out the "old media", that's where i found Ron Paul in '07.

EDIT-
then i went to youtube and was able to find more meaningful media. (sounds like a good name for a channel "meaningful media")

enoch150
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Back in 1998-99 Worldnetdaily linked to the famous "Not Yours To Give" Davy Crockett article, which had been posted on RP's Congressional web site. I was so impressed that a Congressman would put that on their web site that I made a mental note of his name.

Not really an option for that in the poll.

jcdenton
02-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I first saw him in Freedom to Fascism, but it was the debates that really sparked the revolution in my brain.

morely webb
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
A four-page newspaper insert in the Los Angeles Times for Ed Clark in his 1978 libertarian run for the governor of California. He was the first free market, anti-war candidate I had ever seen. He talked then about bringing the troops back from overseas. It made sense then, it makes even more sense now. If Ron does not get the nomination, the least he and we can do is mobilize the country against a war with Iran.

Older people read newspapers. A lengthy newspaper insert ad, consisting of an interview with Ron about his early life, Air Force service and career as a doctor as well as a detailed explanation of his views, especially on foreign policy, may be one way of reaching this demographic.

RickyJ
02-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Freedom4um.com 2006.

The owner of the site is a big Ron Paul supporter. Never heard of him before that.

Gravik
02-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Youtube

pacelli
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
saw him in the debate against rudy in 07, wrote down his name. Checked him out in youtube. Stumbled upon grassroots compiled footage. Thought to myself, "I wonder if there are any ron paul discussion forums?" Did a search. Found this site.

End of story... or rather, BEGINNING of story.

muh_roads
02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
youtube for me also.

Batman
02-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Word of mouth. I got the heads up from a veteran who was in my Cal III class. Up until then I was a Tancredo supporter.

mosquitobite
02-01-2012, 08:28 PM
None of the above. The first time I heard about him standing alone in Congress -- alone on the side of the Constitution -- on so many votes and read a couple of his Texas Straight Talk columns, I knew he was by far the best legislator the US government had.

Same here. Back in 2003/2004 I knew I wasn't going to vote for Bush (again) and I wanted to have at least *SOME* hope in the Republican party. That lead me to Dr Paul. ;)

Johncjackson
02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
AOL chat room, late 90s.

playpianoking
02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
youtube, not necessarily documentary

RonRules
02-01-2012, 09:10 PM
A friend told me about Ron about 10 years ago. Been hooked since!

BuddyRey
02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
The first Republican Debate back in '07. I was still very much a clueless socialist at the time, but Ron Paul made so much sense to me that something just clicked and I said to myself, "I'm going to learn more about this guy." Five years later, the philosophy is just as exciting to me now as ever! :D

Srg1
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Alex jones show :) in 2005 2006

cachemaster
02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
4chan... no joke lol