PDA

View Full Version : What could President Paul do about federal laws.

1000-points-of-fright
11-12-2007, 01:33 AM
President Paul couldn't single-handedly repeal all federal gun laws, so what could he do?

Could he just abolish the ATF? Order all federal attorneys and agents to not prosecute thereby essentially nullifying the laws?

I know he could simply pardon anyone convicted, but that would require you to go through the hassle of a trial.

It would be really cool to be able to buy short barrel rifles and silencers without the hassle and expense of the class 3 tax stamp.

MicroBalrog
11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I believe the Gun Control Act of 1968 empowers the Executive to exclude a given gun by make and model from the GCA/NFA. The ATF did this before for some limited-production models made in the 1930's [in total less then 10,000 actual guns].

But there's nothing preventing the President, under the GCA as written, from publishing a list including thousands and thousands of modern, still-made guns and models, and removing all of them from the ATF's purvey.

In fact... just take a copy of the Blue Book of gun values.

Dequeant
11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I've put a lot of thought into this. I still got nothing.

Of course, a successful argument has been made that says the president's oath of office gives him expanded powers not stated in the constitution.

It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination then, to imagine the same works for men and women in the military. For instance, i honestly cannot find anything that would make unconstitutional the use of military force, by the president, to force congress's hand into unperverting the constitution.

pcosmar
11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
I believe that there are several ways as President that he could change the status quo.
He can Pardon.
He could Restore the 2nd Amendment by executive order.
He can refuse to fund BATFE.
He can use the Bully Pulpit to encourage change.

I do not know how he will chose to do it, but I trust that he will,,get 'er done!!

SgtBulldog
11-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Ron Paul on Executive Orders - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCyU3-QLg2M&feature=related

Cliff Notes - He will only use XO's to rescind all previous XO's and only use them within the constraints of Constitutionally-defined executive powers (such as directing the military).

The most he can probably do for gun rights is to nominate an Attorney General that insists the federal gov't follows the Constitution. However, even the AG cannot change laws on the books. For any real change, Congress would need to repeal federal gun control and/or Ron Paul would need to nominate Constitution-minded judges to the USSC.

mordechai
11-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Think about the Executive Orders thing he said. He can get rid of the 91 AWB that still keeps alot of good foreign stuff out. And he can get rid of the Import Bans on Chinese and (some) Russian guns and (in the case of China) ammo.

1000-points-of-fright
11-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I believe the Gun Control Act of 1968 empowers the Executive to exclude a given gun by make and model from the GCA/NFA. The ATF did this before for some limited-production models made in the 1930's [in total less then 10,000 actual guns].

But there's nothing preventing the President, under the GCA as written, from publishing a list including thousands and thousands of modern, still-made guns and models, and removing all of them from the ATF's purvey.

In fact... just take a copy of the Blue Book of gun values.

Can you cite any documentation on this?

Gunpartsguy
11-23-2007, 05:57 PM
It was actually the 89 import ban. It was an executive order by Bush Sr that was unconstitutionally encoded into the USC. Reagan signed an executive order in 86 banning the production (Not ownership) of full auto firearms for civilians. Also encoded into law without the Congress passing any legislation. The 94 ban (Now sunsetted in 2004 ) was actual congressional legislation. The latest was attorney Gen Gonzo "re-interpreting" the 68 GCA 38 years after the fact and banned import of semi auto receivers that take external mags and threaded muzzle barrels for them. Effectively banning them. The BATFE (Under Gonzo) stated that these items are not in line with the "sporting use" clause of the GCA. The 2nd amendment is not about "sporting purpouses". It's about defending our families. homes and communities from tyrants, criminals and invasion! Period.

Plus form 6 import certificates for FN FAL's, AK's etc.... have been routinely refused, that before Gonzo went through no problem.

They don't want us having the ability to defend ourselves with effective weapons in the last 20 years. I can only guess what they're up to.... But whatever it is...it's no good!

President Paul could kill any former presidents executive orders. Plus I believe he can kill any government agency simply by firing those that work in them. I hope he starts with the BATFE. They are out of control and consistanly break the law and infringe on the peoples rights in their so called "Enforcement".

Gunpartsguy
11-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Can you cite any documentation on this?

No documentation. But...... All laws passed by congress are enforced by an agency or a service that interprets and writes the regulations pertaining to that law. The BATFE and the DOJ are the ones that interpret and enforce the GCA.

fedup100
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Trust me folks, President Paul would put a major dent in all the unconstitutional laws, EO's, and 1913 federal bankruptcy.

The Fed reserve would be a cake walk to get rid of. They are a private corporation. The IRS and BATF are PRIVATE agencies that fall under the Federal Reserve. That's why Kennedy had his gold back money already printed when they executed him. He knew he could take it back in a heart beat.

With that said. He would now have the bully pulpit to educate the masses and Katy bar the door once the masses get it strait.

Just imagine Saturday fireside chats each week by President Paul. Now the Senate and Congress and all other elected officials will have to pass the "Paul" test by the masses before they will be elected.

He will be one of the most loved and respected Presidents the country will have ever had!

sharedvoice
11-24-2007, 04:32 AM
check it out http://www.ronpaul2008.com/gunowners/

Nicketas
12-05-2007, 09:44 PM

1000-points-of-fright
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I couldn't have figured that part out myself. The bully pulpit and philosophical direction is obvious. I want to know what policies or laws he can affect simply by saying "make it so."

bbachtung
12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Pardons can be given BEFORE arrest or trial; furthermore, he could issue a blanket pardon to all non-violent, non-felon gun prosecutions.