PDA

View Full Version : Woman charged over bizarre soda can refund plot.

123tim
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I never know where to post articles like this.
Here's my mathematical formula used to decide this one:

Stealing + Stupidity + Food Stamps + Destruction of property = General Politics.

LYNN (NewsCore) - A Massachusetts woman was charged with larceny and destruction of property after she bought 216 cans of soda with a stolen food stamps card and attempted to feed them into a can return machine for money.

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/woman-charged-over-bizarre-soda-can-refund-plot-20120125?obref=obinsite#ixzz1l2sogod0

Continued.....
http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/woman-charged-over-bizarre-soda-can-refund-plot-20120125?obref=obinsite

Sola_Fide
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Creative though...

flightlesskiwi
01-31-2012, 08:43 AM
*sigh*

Krugerrand
01-31-2012, 08:51 AM
And yet no mention of her environmental awareness and efforts to recycle.

Let's go - priorities people!

oyarde
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM

Stealing + Stupidity + Food Stamps + Destruction of property. = General Politics.

Continued.....
http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/woman-charged-over-bizarre-soda-can-refund-plot-20120125?obref=obinsite Love the formula

LibertasPraesidium
01-31-2012, 11:32 AM
So she stole a food stamps card, bought aluminum and tried to get money for it. And they say it's working, this whole give everyone enough to eat.

oyarde
01-31-2012, 12:27 PM
There should be no food stamps , reduce taxes by that amount , return it to the people and there will be food in voluntary food banks in America for those in need. So , this lady stole something from someone who was given it by govt that stole it from others ? THat is alot of stealing . She should not be prosecuted , tell her , no more and send her on her way.

Sullivan*
01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
There should be no food stamps , reduce taxes by that amount , return it to the people and there will be food in voluntary food banks in America for those in need. So , this lady stole something from someone who was given it by govt that stole it from others ? THat is alot of stealing . She should not be prosecuted , tell her , no more and send her on her way.
Hell, there are food banks around the country DESPITE excessive federal taxes.

oyarde
01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Hell, there are food banks around the country DESPITE excessive federal taxes. I support my local , voluntary , non govt funded food bank and will increase that for any tax cuts.

AGRP
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
This has been going on for ages. The smart ones do it with those tiny bottled waters.

enjerth
01-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Stealing + Stupidity + Food Stamps + Destruction of property. = General Politics.

Continued.....
http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/woman-charged-over-bizarre-soda-can-refund-plot-20120125?obref=obinsite

The untold story, if the scrap price of the aluminum in $64 worth in cans of soda is around $10, and the metal is much more rare (valuable) than the drink, how much are you overpaying for your tasty branded beverage?

Edit:
Oh yes, and that $10 is including counting every 12oz can as being 12oz of aluminum, instead of weighing just the can.

2young2vote
01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
216 * .05 = 10.8. She spent $64 in food money so she could get $10.80 in cash. Why the heck didn't she just use the money on the card to buy her food and then spend the money that she WOULD HAVE used on food on other things? Unless, of course, she was already on food stamps (I think this is likely).

Brian4Liberty
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately, this is the type of thought process that gets these people into their down and out situations in the first place.

muzzled dogg
01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
End the bottle bill

Aratus
01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
i have to ask if the soda was still in the cans when she tries to recycle them...!

heavenlyboy34
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
This is the lamest attempt at fraud I can remember. They just don't make fraudsters the way they used to. :(

Brian4Liberty
01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
i have to ask if the soda was still in the cans when she tries to recycle them...!

Yes. The machine was overflowed with soda.

gerryb
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
This is routine. Usually they dump the soda first, though.

I always wonder why they don't buy things their neighbors or someone needs, and sell it at half price. Guess that's too much work.

jmdrake
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Of course actually selling the stolen soda is too much like work. And why is soda counted as "food" anyway?

seraphson
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Now I really want to insert an unopened can of soda into the recycler to hear and witness the awesomeness.

heavenlyboy34
01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Of course actually selling the stolen soda is too much like work. And why is soda counted as "food" anyway?
Anything in the grocery store is counted as food (AFAIK, the only thing you can't buy with EBT are fresh made foods, like deli stuff).

jmdrake
01-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Anything in the grocery store is counted as food (AFAIK, the only thing you can't buy with EBT are fresh made foods, like deli stuff).

Well I'm sure cigs and beer don't count. ;) Anyhow I understand that it does count, I'm just asking the question "why"? If they're worried about obesity among poor folks just saying you can't buy carbonated sugar water with food stamps would be a big first step.

gerryb
01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Well I'm sure cigs and beer don't count. ;) Anyhow I understand that it does count, I'm just asking the question "why"? If they're worried about obesity among poor folks just saying you can't buy carbonated sugar water with food stamps would be a big first step.

Why even give an option at all? Food stamps should be you get a basket of food every week with pre-selected necessity items. Substitutions if you have a legitimate allergy, religious, or dietary requirement. You can drink water from the tap for nearly free.

heavenlyboy34
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Well I'm sure cigs and beer don't count. ;) Anyhow I understand that it does count, I'm just asking the question "why"? If they're worried about obesity among poor folks just saying you can't buy carbonated sugar water with food stamps would be a big first step. Cigs don't, but beer does (at least in my state) That may change, though. After the fast food restaurant lobbies get to accept EBT, it'll only be a matter of time before the tobacco lobby gets cigs covered by EBT as well. /sigh :(

heavenlyboy34
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Why even give an option at all? Food stamps should be you get a basket of food every week with pre-selected necessity items. Substitutions if you have a legitimate allergy, religious, or dietary requirement. You can drink water from the tap for nearly free. The banksters won't get much money that way, silly. ;)

Aratus
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Yes. The machine was overflowed with soda.

This is the lamest attempt at fraud I can remember. They just don't make fraudsters the way they used to. :(

Now I really want to insert an unopened can of soda into the recycler to hear and witness the awesomeness.

now i hate to ask this, but did all that soda sorta damage the recycling machine? (this is on top of the theft done via EBT card!)

Krugerrand
02-01-2012, 07:17 AM
now i hate to ask this, but did all that soda sorta damage the recycling machine? (this is on top of the theft done via EBT card!)
Did you miss the link in the OP?

She did so without emptying them first, however, causing more than $250 worth of damage to the machine, the newspaper said.

Stealing + Stupidity + Food Stamps + Destruction of property = General Politics.

Continued.....

oyarde
02-01-2012, 11:02 AM
The untold story, if the scrap price of the aluminum in $64 worth in cans of soda is around $10, and the metal is much more rare (valuable) than the drink, how much are you overpaying for your tasty branded beverage?

Edit:
Oh yes, and that $10 is including counting every 12oz can as being 12oz of aluminum, instead of weighing just the can. A couple of full size trash bags , full of crushed cans , by weight , will usually bring about $30 . I recycle my beer cans .

WilliamC
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
So I could pay someone say, $40 to buy $100 worth of groceries with their food stamps and they would think it's a good deal for them?

Humm......

WilliamC
02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
A couple of full size trash bags , full of crushed cans , by weight , will usually bring about $30 . I recycle my beer cans .

I thought with the recycling machines the cans had to be intact so the barcode could be read.

I was not aware of a machine that accepts crushed cans, thought you had to take them to a scrapyard.

HOLLYWOOD
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
So I could pay someone say, $40 to buy $100 worth of groceries with their food stamps and they would think it's a good deal for them?

Humm......But then, you have to drive them to the liquor store or local dealer.

Roxi
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Cigs don't, but beer does (at least in my state) That may change, though. After the fast food restaurant lobbies get to accept EBT, it'll only be a matter of time before the tobacco lobby gets cigs covered by EBT as well. /sigh :(

Are you saying people can buy beer on food stamps?

oyarde
02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Are you saying people can buy beer on food stamps? I would assume the rules vary by state ?