PDA

View Full Version : Obama Ignores Pot-Related Questions In Monday's Online Chat

Tyler_Durden
01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
I think Snoop will be just the beginning...... :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/obama-marijuana-online-chat_n_1242907.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

WASHINGTON, DC -- President Barack Obama in an online "conversation" with American voters on Monday, failed to answer a barrage of questions about marijuana legalization or the drug war.

Although 18 out of 20 of the most popular questions submitted by voters via YouTube were about the drug war or pot, the president in his 45-minute post-State of the Union chat didn't address a single one.

"It is disappointing that, yet again, the administration has declined the opportunity to discuss the very serious issue of ending marijuana prohibition," Erik Altieri, spokesman for National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, wrote in an email. "For the ninth time, the White House has solicited the American people for direct input on the issues they cared about and then, when the resulting answers called overwhelmingly for marijuana law reform, President Obama ignores the will of the American people on this burning issue."

Google, which moderated the event from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., did not immediately respond to a query about why such questions were excluded. YouTube, a division Google, allowed users until Saturday midnight to designate a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on questions submitted ahead of Monday's chat. Questions with the most thumbs up were deemed the most popular.

While the president did find time to talk about a whole host of less weighty questions, including ones about late-night snacks, dancing and his tennis skills, a response to a top-rated question submitted by Stephen Downing, the retired deputy chief of police in Los Angeles, was conspicuously absent.

Dowling's question, which garnered more than 4,500 votes, ranked first in popularity among questions submitted via video and second out of all questions. He asked the president to address a growing voter constituency that wants more changes to drug policy than he has delivered in his first term. "From my 20 years of experience I have come to see our country’s drug policies as a failure and a complete waste of criminal justice resources," Dowling had said in his video.

Later commenting on his question's being ignored in Monday night's chat, Downing, a board member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, wrote, "It's worse than silly that YouTube and Google would waste the time of the president and of the American people discussing things like midnight snacks and playing tennis when there is a much more pressing question on the minds of the people who took the time to participate in voting on submissions."

"A majority of Americans now support legalizing marijuana to de-fund cartels and gangs, lower incarceration and arrest rates and save scarce public resources, all while generating new much-needed tax revenue," Downing added. "The time to discuss this issue is now. We're tired of this serious public policy crisis being pushed aside or laughed off."

This isn't the first time the issue of drug policy has dominated online contests soliciting questions from the president only to be ignored. In last year's "Your Interview with the President" competition, Obama did discuss the issue, however, calling legalization and regulation of marijuana and other drugs "an entirely legitimate topic for debate" and adding that he remained opposed to legalization of medical marijuana.

Medical marijuana activists are wondering what happened to the candidate who promised to maintain a hands-off approach toward pot clinics' adhering to state law.

"I will be voting in the Republican primary in California, and I will be voting for one of the candidates who supports our position on medical cannabis," said Steve DeAngelo, executive director of California-based Harborside Health Center told The Huffington Post in a recent interview. "I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other medical cannabis patients join me."

"There's a real opening here for Republicans," he said.

A White House spokesman, when asked for comment about why no marijuana-related questions were addressed on Monday, noted that the event had been moderated by Google and the president was merely answering questions posed to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0IpiATxdR4&sns=em

Dr.3D
01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
He wouldn't want to end the drug war, it's how those like him plan to invade the privacy of everyone else. It's a tool, used by the establishment, to break into the homes of peace loving people who have done nothing wrong but to ignore an unconstitutional law.

LisaNY
01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
I'd like to know the numbers, because it seems like he's thrown more people in jail for drugs than any president since Reagan.

rp713
01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
ron will win cali with this issue. as soon as the fed drug war is over. i can see in a couple years cali, new mexico, colorado, and nevada becoming the first states for full legalization. esp cali, their budget is outta control and they desperately need revenue.

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
It makes you wonder if Snoop caught wind of that, and posted the Paul pic on his fb to taunt Obama with it.

frickettz
01-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I only caught the end of this today.. there were a lot of questions about the signing of NDAA as well, did he ignore that topic too?

Gravik
01-30-2012, 11:20 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/obama-marijuana-online-chat_n_1242907.html

This douche just won't answer the damn question....

Gravik
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd like to know the numbers, because it seems like he's thrown more people in jail for drugs than any president since Reagan.
Well for starters, over 850,000 people were arrested in 2011 for marijuana related offenses. And it costs us taxpayers something like $10,000 per arrest.

Gravik
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
ron will win cali with this issue. as soon as the fed drug war is over. i can see in a couple years cali, new mexico, colorado, and nevada becoming the first states for full legalization. esp cali, their budget is outta control and they desperately need revenue.

Washington state could be the first state come November.

tangowhiskeykilo
01-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Washington state could be the first state come November.
Pretty sure legalization is on its way in CO. It will at least be on the ballot.

Krugerrand
01-31-2012, 08:00 AM
It makes you wonder if Snoop caught wind of that, and posted the Paul pic on his fb to taunt Obama with it.

That's quite possible. Things like these can be foot-in-the-door moments that lead to all out conversions.

Working Poor
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Well for starters, over 850,000 people were arrested in 2011 for marijuana related offenses. And it costs us taxpayers something like $10,000 per arrest.

That is some pretty devastating numbers there.

RonRules
01-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Drugs are a gateway arrest vehicle -- I just made that up and let me explain.

Law enforcement believes (perhaps wrongly) that drug users are criminals. Cops love the opportunity to use drugs as an excuse to arrest people, search their property, cars, homes hopefully to find evidence of other crimes such as stolen merchandise, etc.

In some jurisdictions drug arrests are very profitable because the local station gets to keep the benefits, like cash and other items, even cars.

The drug war gives cops jobs. It's job security and provides department growth for the various higher ups in the force.

Once that's understood, it's easy to see that people in power and their complicit law enforcement staff use the drug war to their advantage.

WilliamC
01-31-2012, 09:27 AM
The CIA undoubtedly let Obuma know the score about the drug war shortly after he took office.

It's their money-making scheme, and I've no doubt that Obuma is now personally profiting from it.

Humanae Libertas
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
The CIA undoubtedly let Obuma know the score about the drug war shortly after he took office.

It's their money-making scheme, and I've no doubt that Obuma is now personally profiting from it.

Well Obummer was never pro-legalization, he wasn't even pro-medical marijuana. All he said during the campaign was cracking down on medical marijuana dispensers would be his least priority, and the progressives believed him.

puppetmaster
01-31-2012, 03:18 PM
obamas a coward and opportunist

Gravik
01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Pretty sure legalization is on its way in CO. It will at least be on the ballot.
I dislike the bill that is going on in Colorado right now. It's misleading. They say they want to regulate it like alcohol...but you can only have xx amount. But with alcohol, you can brew your own, and you can buy as absolute much as you want. I've gone with a couple of friends and gotten 70+ 30 racks at one time before (Frat party ftw ;) )